Does Warrantys usually cover broken hinges on Laptops?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
It might. However, the classic warranty fineprint usually has a "does not cover physical damage or damage from wear and tear". I'd still give it a shot and try to sweet talk a repair though.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp
It might. However, the classic warranty fineprint usually has a "does not cover physical damage or damage from wear and tear". I'd still give it a shot and try to sweet talk a repair though.
If you do try talking them into it, be kind and your chances of getting an exception made will go up.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I just got a job with Sony repairing laptops, 95% of the time when it's broken they say "user damage" and it's not fixed. Not sure how other companies are buy Sony sucks

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
it did the one time I sent a laptop in for that, it was years ago though when dell actually had good service, old P2 Latitude

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
It was covered on my eMachines 6810, but that could have been since it was a known issue with that entire line made by the OEM.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Acer covered my sister in law's cracked hinge. Your mileage will vary.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
I do some tech support for Everex (never heard of'em? Neither have I, lol.) and their policy is that they'll send out hinge covers even if its out of warranty. I thought it was pretty nice of'em. Although i couldn't recommend some of their laptops. =/ But hey, they're made cheap so they can be had for cheap. Noble, but not quality.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
I sent in an Acer laptop with a damaged hinge and they initially denied it as a user damage, but after talking to a see people I eventually got it fixed under warranty. It's worth a shot depending on who made it.