does using my cablecard take up internet bandwidth?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
On my main PC, I have an HD Homerun + cablecard + Windows Media Center setup.

I'm watching the Spurs right now while D/L something off of usenet. I notice my usenet connection is only running at 4.8 - 6.4MBs when I normally get over 10Mbs

Normally, I wouldn't think so but I notice that my video will lag a tiny bit if I'm loading web pages every now and then.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I guess it's possible that the cable co. only allocates a certain amount for TV + Web, but only they would know that. I'll have to test that by firing up all tuners and checking for speed changes.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Unless there's some dynamic allocation going on that I don't know about, it shouldn't have any effect. Cable Internet works by allocating channels for download and upload, which are just segmented via frequencies, and these should be different than your actual TV channels.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
No, it uses the same transfer paths the regular cable box does. Any data fluxuations would either be unrelated, or the network equipment on the pole is bad or substandard.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Check your lines for noise. Loose connections, plugs, coax can allow noise to enter the line and wacky things start happening. Once I had strange cablebox behavior and odd slowdowns. I could not figure it out for the life of me. TWC sent out a tech, he noted the noise, then went around the house and in my wiring cubby in the atttic and tightened all the connectors. Voila, I got my upload speed back and no more flaky channels on the box.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
On my main PC, I have an HD Homerun + cablecard + Windows Media Center setup.

I'm watching the Spurs right now while D/L something off of usenet. I notice my usenet connection is only running at 4.8 - 6.4MBs when I normally get over 10Mbs

Normally, I wouldn't think so but I notice that my video will lag a tiny bit if I'm loading web pages every now and then.

It should have 0 impact on your net speeds.

What router you using? It is possible that your router isn't good enough, and the bandwidth from the prime + you downloading is taxing the router too much.
Then again, it could be just a temp issue with the network in your area, or where you are downloading from, or someplace in-between some of the nodes, or...

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
While unlikely simply the act of playing something could impact the speeds to a certain extent[1]. Could depend on your version of Windows but you may want to try it (set it to FFFFFFFF (hex) to disable it). Just make a note of what it was previously (I believe the default is 10 (decimal)) and if it doesn't change anything to set it back to the default.

I don't think this is really an issue anymore in more recent versions of Windows and I'm normally against this kind of Windows tweaking but I'm just throwing a possibility out there on the off chance that it may be it.

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/948066

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
OP hasnt shown back up yet, but a better look at how everything is connected together might help point out a bottleneck.3