Does Using Modded vBIOS Cause Catalyst Drivers to Crash?

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Every since last night, my AMD Catalyst drivers has been crashing and recovering during LTC mining. It only happens once each time the computer is on as it doesn't seem to happen again after the first crash. The only changes I did throughout the day was try an AMD + Intel iGPU trick that was mentioned in the Bitcoin mining thread, and mod the vBIOS so that the VDCC was lower and the fan profile was a bit more aggressive in order to keep the temperatures down. I didn't overclock my 7950 either so it's definitely not because my card is unstable.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Every since last night, my AMD Catalyst drivers has been crashing and recovering during LTC mining. It only happens once each time the computer is on as it doesn't seem to happen again after the first crash. The only changes I did throughout the day was try an AMD + Intel iGPU trick that was mentioned in the Bitcoin mining thread, and mod the vBIOS so that the VDCC was lower and the fan profile was a bit more aggressive in order to keep the temperatures down. I didn't overclock my 7950 either so it's definitely not because my card is unstable.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but if you lowered the cards voltage that could cause instability.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
It isn't unstable though. If it was, I'd be crashing every 10 minutes or so wouldn't I? It only crashes once or twice, then it's fine.