Does UPS Ground ship on Saturdays?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gametime10, Jul 5, 2002.

1. gametime10

gametime10 Senior member

Anyone know?

2. Reliant

Reliant Diamond Member

Don't think so....

3. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Moderator <BR> Power Supplies

Nope. Only Saturday Deliverys move on Saturday. Hell... Weekend days don't even count on the shipping schedule as if the apckage just STOPS until Monday rolls around. :/

4. Chu

Chu Banned

Yes and No.

They will deliver on Saturday's if you pay for it.

They pickup from *SOME* distros on Saturday's, and will do a doorstop pickup on Saturday for a fee. Don't expect your package to be processed until Monday though, this service is mainly for extreemly busy centers/busniesses that need the room.

For any serivce except ground, if the package needs to move on a saturday to get there in time, they will move it on a saturday.

I'm not 100% sure, but i've heard from some people who work at UPS that trucks go out on saturday's only if there is a reason other then 'we were paid to ship this' i.e. the truck needs to go anyways to get these UPS Blue packages to their destination on time and all we got are the big rigs, might as well toss on some other classes of packages as well.

BTW, does anyone know if FedEX moves packages on Saturdays? Since they are now courring for the USPS, I assume they have to since I believe the USPS counts saturdays for next day delivery.

-Chu

5. Smolek

Smolek Diamond Member

6. PsychoAndy

PsychoAndy Lifer

every shipper moves packages on saturday. delivering them is a different story.

UPS will only deliver overnights on saturday for an extra fee. you cant get ground service with a sat delivery sticker for $10, you gotta get NDA.

7. gametime10

gametime10 Senior member

man that stinks big time. According to the UPS Package Tracking page, I was scheduled to get my laptop today, but it never came. I'm taking off Monday for a business trip so I'm not going to be here when it arrives next week.

Dang it.

8. Chu

Chu Banned

>>

man that stinks big time. According to the UPS Package Tracking page, I was scheduled to get my laptop today, but it never came. I'm taking off Monday for a business trip so I'm not going to be here when it arrives next week.

<<

If a package is that important, you can always call up the local distro and ask them to hold it so you can pick it up in person. I doubt they are open on sunday, but you might get lucky . . .

-Chu

9. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Moderator <BR> Power Supplies

The key to what you say is that they all "move" packages.

The primary arteries of moving packages are open 24/7 (the airplanes, the airports, and in the case of FedEx, the Memphis hub, etc.), but regional distribution centers, local service centers, etc. are only open during the day on weekdays and with limited staff on Saturdays in order to handle those packages that were $20 extra to ship because of "saturday delivery".

Again, it depends on the type of service requested. If you did not request Saturday Delivery or Early AM on a package shipped on a Friday, the pacakge is stagnant for the weekend. If you ship Early AM on a Friday, the package wont get delivered on Saturday, but the package will be made ready for delivery to the local service center for the following Monday morning.