Does upgrading video cooling automatically void the warranty?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
If I upgraded my eVGA to a VF-900 and sometime down the line I needed to RMA it, would it automatically void the warranty?

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
To the best of my knowledge, no, as long as there is never any "physical" damage to the card you should be able to RMA it.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Evga FAQ:

Does water-cooling or installing a third party cooling solution on my video card void the warranty?

Installing third party cooling solutions does not void warranty on our products. Just be sure to keep the original cooling solution as it will have to be on the card if it is ever sent in for RMA. Any physical damage such as burn marks or damaged PCB will void the warranty.

morgash

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2005
most ATI brands have a set rule saying aftermarket cooling(and overclocking) will void the warranty. generally nVidia is a little more lax about this policy however eVGA is WAY above the rest in this department. They explicitly allow for aftermarket cooling AND overclocking and I was personally told by the head engineer that as long as and volt mods are removable (aka pencil mod conductive pen mod) and u remove em b4 sending it in they will replace it. pretty damn good to me.

Morgash

hardwareking

May 19, 2006
All ATI cards warranty gets voided if the HSF is removed or changed.
Same applies for most nvidia cards but EVGA.Just like what morgash said.
Well u could fool ATI by slapping the stock heatsink back on before u RMA it(incase u need to.)Not 100% safe though.
I wish e-vga sold ATI cards.They'd make a lot of money.

Malikhan

Feb 3, 2005
eVGA is the only company I've ever seen that putting an aftermarket cooler on doesn't void the warranty.
BFG might or XFX but I can't find their warranty info and I'm to lazy to look at the moment.

XJustMeX21

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2005
Emailed bfg about 2 months ago about weather or not chaning the stock cooling would void the warrenty.
I was told that just removing the stock one voids the warrenty and they added on there own that any increase in clock speeds above those set by bfg would also void the warrenty.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Yep, I called eVGA personally and the tech rep said that I could do pretty much whatever I wanted to the card as long as it looks stock when I send it back for RMA. Do not know about the other makers though. However if you are careful with the aftermarket HSF installation and put the original one on when you RMA it back to them, you should be ok.