Does throttling from Nvidia GPU Boost cause stutters / performance problems? I say no

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Today I did a lot of researching and came across several threads where people complained how their cards (in this case GTX 970, but likely applies to other cards as well) are hitting the power limit eg. throttling down or up....and therefore their game experiences would suffer, how the throttling would cause stutters, tearing etc.

* It is hard to believe that NV would have implemented GPU boost (which increases/decreases boost-bins depending on metrics like TDP, power target, temps etc.) if this mechanism itself would cause such problems.

* All those forum posts about those "problems" caused by hitting the power limit (and thus throttling) seemed subjective to me, so I thought there is one metric which would prove/disprove this: FRAME TIME.

If there is problems from hitting the power limit, then frametime would sure show something is up.

So I did testing with Unigine Heaven and with my card (EVGA GTX 970) found a spot where it was getting to the power limit and switching boost-bins FREQUENTLY.

I set MSI Afterburner to the fastest speed to read data, 100ms, and recorded frametime and the curve which shows how the power limit fluctuates at this scene like crazy:

frametime.jpg

Even with the power limit hit constantly, you can see the frametime being constant. There are no spikes or "lag" or delays introduced by hitting or leaving the power limit.

Therefore I claim here that ANY forum post where people complain about stutters due their cards often hitting the P/L are nothing but nonsense.

It shall also be noted that a boost-bin is (only) 13mhz, so when the card clocks down (or up) 13mhz along with a notch down in voltage, or even two bins...you won't see anything of it in a game or benchmark.

TLDR: Even if your card hits the power limit, even if it hits it very often and GPU boost makes it clock up & down like crazy, this doesn't affect performance or cause stutters or tearing. Prove me wrong!

* Add:

My suspicion: People who play some games or run benchies encounter scenes of various complexity, some which stress the card more, some less. Like a game that is rarely static, one scene might give you 300 FPS - while looking at a super-high-res texture in the other direction is more demanding. AS A RESULT...your card might throttle from one moment to the other. This would be normal. (Many cards are incredibly borderline in regards to their clocks and their power limits). So if you have stutters in such a situation it's not CAUSED by GPU Boost and the fact your card throttles a notch down, but rather by whatever goes on in your game such as the complexity of a scene or a scene-change etc.

This also means that increasing your power limit (as some claim) would hardly help if you have performance problems or stutters due to whatever else. It's a myth that you need at all cost to "keep your card at a constant clock rate" otherwise it would cause problems. We're talking one, two, maybe three boost bins here, 39mhz sure won't matter....and as I showed above, hitting or leaving the power limit has no effect either.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
this doesn't affect performance
Can't say about your other exclamations about throttling but performance is definitely affected due to throttling - You should water cool that GTX 970.

On the other hand I would never buy a mid range card from any MFG'r if I intended to water cool.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
If you want to compare it properly, you have to do one with GPU boost active and one with it off, at a constant clock speed.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
If you want to compare it properly, you have to do one with GPU boost active and one with it off, at a constant clock speed.

Some people say it's the clockspeed adjustment that causes it.

After modding my bios to remove the power draw limit my card now runs at a constant 1215MHz and I did initially feel that Rome II was smoother. I've not played it in a while and the only other game I've tried is Dragon Age Inquisition which still has all kinds of frametime spikes, mostly caused by the CPU so it's impossible to see the difference.

I'm still on the fence about the issue until I play a few more games.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
You don't have a control group, we cannot see gpu speed, frametime graph has a ceiling too high to estimate anything, you used one card in one configuration to run one program. However, you assert your experience is everyone's.

I don't mind the idea of a test of the claim, but you haven't done that quite yet.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I didn't have to modify the BIOS and it keeps the clocks constant but the temperatures of the GPUs are in the 30s.

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
You don't want the CPU or GPU to be clocked/volted so aggressively that when the going gets tough, that it down-clocks majorly. These days pushing voltage to max is a ticket to lower-clocks-ville.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I've left my voltages alone, it seems to hover around 1.15v when stressed thanks to the Voltage controller Asus uses. Temps are much lower than they would be if I had it at 1.2+v.

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011
OP has a defensive tone and sounds like he is looking for validation that his card is awesome.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Gpu boost has been around since the 680, not a big fan of these kind of systems, but it seems to work well enough.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
OP has a defensive tone and sounds like he is looking for validation that his card is awesome.

Discuss the subject matter of the post, and keep your personal attacks out of this forum.
-- stahlhart

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Voltage spikes at 100ms, is that even considered throttling? As long as core clocks is stable thats no throttling. If that happens, you will have performance issues of some sort depending how severe the throttling is

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
You don't want the CPU or GPU to be clocked/volted so aggressively that when the going gets tough, that it down-clocks majorly. These days pushing voltage to max is a ticket to lower-clocks-ville.

AHAHA....tell that EVGA! This is stock settings. (The screen is with a modded bios with higher PL, but then adjusted power target down to 91% which is the same as the stock BIOS, 170W TDP)

This is how the card is, and with those out-of-the box OCs it's trottle-mania constantly.

As for "defensive tone"...the reason I did this research is that some people made modded bios where they drilled up the internal PT (which I also did just for testing) claiming that the EVGA SC cards have "a too low PL" which causes constant throttling (correct!) and various problems.

However, those modded BIOS or even just using Afterburner to increase PL does nothing, it does NOT give you a better gaming experience in any way or solve any problems, at least from what I see. (The only thing happening is that the graph looks nicer, otherwise I mean you can smoke those 13mhz in a pipe, who cares about 13mhz more or less?)

I agree tho that testing with constant voltage/speed comparing to a stock with throttling would probably be a better method of testing. I am still thinking GPU boost itself being the reason for stutters etc. is unlikely, NV wouldn't have implemented this if this were the case.

Last edited:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Voltage spikes at 100ms, is that even considered throttling? As long as core clocks is stable thats no throttling. If that happens, you will have performance issues of some sort depending how severe the throttling is

If I say throttling I mean of course changing boost bins AND clock and voltage. All of those are jumping around. I just didn't include them in the graph.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Just to add: Increasing the Power Target, be it with Afterburner or with a modded BIOS of course can help to achieve (and hold) higher boost clocks and overclocks. In fact, a lot of the cards are severely limited in that sense they NEED a Bios mod to get and hold high clocks and voltages.

But what I showed and claim is that the throttling itself doesn't have any negative effect, it doesn't cause spikes or lag or whatever even if it should happen very often, contrary to what people said that their games are stuttering because of this.
Even in a situation where, because of power limit, a card would be far from its theoretical max. boost clock/overclock...it wouldn't cause stutter. The card would just run at a lower clock, you wouldn't actually see anything, EXCEPT in synthetic benchmarks where you might get a lower score because your card run the bench (or parts of it) at, say, 1347 instead of 1400).