Does this sound right? Extra credit card (online) payment ...

cnicol

Feb 1, 2000
The other month I had a credit card bill for $363. I pay all of my credit card bills online. For some reason or other I thought that the bill was $505.61 when I logged onto the web page, so that is what I electronically paid them. So I ended up sending them $142.61 extra. I paid them on 3-19-01.

So along comes the next month and I forgot about making another payment?it was due 4-15-01 less than a month since my last payment. I owed them $102.07, my current charges minus my extra ?credit?. I send my payment in again 5 days late on 5-20-01.

Well the next bill that I get has a 29 dollar late fee on it!

My question is don?t you think that a good and fair credit card company would maybe have at least counted the $142.61 ?credit? against my minimum payment due for that month and not charge me 29 F*****g dollars.

So I called up the credit card company and they will <sarcasm> Bless there little hearts </sarcasm> give me a one time break!

They say that my ?credit? is not really a credit because I had purchases outstanding, that I made after the closing date. So they just deducted it from my purchases and it never officially got to the point of being a credit. I say phooey, a horse is horse! BTW I thought the csr was rude and impatient and talked down to me, and did not really listen to me, she didn?t even really say good bye at the end?I of course was as pleasant as can be! :)

So what does every one else think?Am I expecting too much?or just getting too little. :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not very many cards would do what you wanted. First, the agreement will no doubt say you are obligated to make the minimum payment by the due date, meaning there's no such thing as &quot;paying ahead&quot;. Sears used to allow that, but I don't think they do any more. It's nice that they waived the fee, but you don't really have a case for assuming they must do it.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
Anyway, you can request late charge wavied.
Every credit card gives you at least once in lifetime late charge wavied.

cnicol

Feb 1, 2000
I agree with you that I should not expect that...I just thought that it would be nice and good customer relations to take that into account before charging you 29 dollars.

I just felt that technically I did make a $142.61 payment?if I didn?t my bill would have been $244.68?but it was not it was $102.

I can understand if it was a credit from a return or a refund because that was never really my money. But I paid real cash, 142 dollars worth. They had my money that month.

If I had called them the day before my next statement was due and told that I paid too much money last month and to either give me back my money or count it towards the next payment what would they have said?

I would think that they would have had to count it as a payment because they did have my money?they took it out of my bank account!!

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
cnicol,

The payment system is automated. No human even made a decision on the initial transaction. When you called them, they fulfilled your wish for a &quot;good and fair credit card company&quot;.

So, the question becomes: What the hell are you whining about?

Russ, NCNE

cnicol

Feb 1, 2000
Once again I agree?I am satisfied with the outcome and I am not trying to whine?I am just bored and messing around! I do learn from my mistakes and from other people.

But I am not so sure that just because they gave me my 29 dollars back that makes them a good and fair credit card company. They would have (apparently) given any joe blow their money back at least once for any reason they can think of. What if I had all ready used up my ?lifeline??

Again I was just looking for some other opinions?If every one thinks I am pushing it then I will agree and move on with my life?no harm no foul. I am not bitter as I still use the card.

But I myself thought that it was a grey issue and I wanted another opinion besides that of the credit card company.

Thanks for the help? :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Credit Card companies are usually run by banks. Banks are run by bankers.

Bankers = SUCK!

**Disclaimer** If you are a banker and you find the above statement offensive, I will retract the statement if you GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! Thanks. **Disclaimer**

gooseman

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
How could you have a late payment charge if the credit on your account is larger than the charges?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
gooseman, in this situation he paid more than the minimum the previous month, but not the total balance. When the next payment was due, he still owed at least the minimum payment for that month. He was hoping that the &quot;extra&quot; he paid from the month before would count towards the next month, but it doesn't work that way.

One reason most places don't do that is because let's say your minimum payment is $30 and you have a balance of $1500. If you send in a payment of $300, they aren't going to let you skip making payments for 9 months. They want a payment every month by the due date.