Does this Make me Metrosexual? My MBNA Credit Card Summary came, I spent $2500 at Banana Republic last year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Everyone should do themselves a favor and buy at least 1 new article of clothing a month (a new shirt, at least). Perodically clean out your closet and donate. Everybody is tired of the AMD shirt you got for free at the career fair.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: KEV1N
Everyone should do themselves a favor and buy at least 1 new article of clothing a month (a new shirt, at least). Perodically clean out your closet and donate. Everybody is tired of the AMD shirt you got for free at the career fair.

LOL!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: pcmodem
Sounds like you are yet another trendy Asian, would expect you probably are into Abercombie too.

Keep buying, I have friends at Gap HQ in SF and San Bruno, your $2500 is helping to keep them employed.

It amuses me how trendy Asians over the last few years have been buying into clothing lines that until recently were primarily Caucasian. Usually it's the more Americanized Asians that are into BR.

I still remember when Banana Republic was new and was all "adventure" clothing, ala Indiana Jones.
-PCM

I'm pretty sure he's caucasian.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001

No way, I :heart: my Newegg shirt.

Buying clothes seems like such a waste of money to me. I want decent looking clothes, however. Outlets are my friend, and ebay is good for higher $$ stuff. Can you really beat a new 100% wool Polo sweater for $25? Or a 90/10 wool/cashmere J Crew sweater for $6? I can't. :)

boomdart

Jan 10, 2004
I haven't spent less than $120 on a pair of shoes in, hell, 6 years?

I like DC shoes...

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am an Asian, and sure I do enjoy good clothes, but I can never spend that much on clothes.

I go to outlets and wait for big sales, but at the most, maybe spend $500 a year on clothes. Regualrly around $200 if at all. I still have clothes from 4 years ago.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've spent more on clothes in the last year than I have since I needed to buy suits for my first job.

Grand total over the last year is probably $200-$300 including one pair of shoes.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Bah. I buy fashion for the ages. If it's not worn out I keep it.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Are you people serious? I spend at least 2k a year on clothing if not more. I just can't stand wearing sh!t that is out of style or I don't like anymore.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill
Are you people serious? I spend at least 2k a year on clothing if not more. I just can't stand wearing sh!t that is out of style or I don't like anymore.
Yeah, but you're a man-whore by profession, so you get to deduct it come tax-time!

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

Dead serious.

Why do I give a crap if what I wear is "out of style"? It fits. It's still in decent condition. It gets worn.

Some of us aren't as independently wealthy as it appears that you are.

just spent $240 on some basketball shoes Jordan XII Retro though

I have probably only slightly exceeded that in my past 20 years of shoe purchases.
rolleye.gif

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
The same people who said they only spent like $100 on clothes last year and are complaining that you spent $2500 on clothes are probably the same ones who spend $2500 on computer parts from newegg. Although $2500 at one place (esp BR) is way to much.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

That hurts. It really hurts. I just wore one of those shirts yesterday and am currently wearing that IBM shirt where its an eye, a bee and a striped M in the front.

Also, I have like 7 AMD tshirts since I signed up for that reseller thing way back to get some case badges.

You dont' know how often they've saved me from not having anything to wear when I get lazy to do laundry. As you can see that I've worn these free T's two days in a row, I need to do laundry.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Staley8
The same people who said they only spent like $100 on clothes last year and are complaining that you spent $2500 on clothes are probably the same ones who spend $2500 on computer parts from newegg. Although $2500 at one place (esp BR) is way to much.
That's funny and surely true in some cases, although not in mine.

drewdogg808

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000

holy crap...i'm wearing my free AMD shirt right now! :D

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

I'm a middle aged broad,nobody cares what I wear as long as I don't smell:)

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Geekbabe

I'm a middle aged broad,nobody cares what I wear as long as I don't smell:)

Most people here wouldn't even care if you smelled as long as you put out... ;)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish

Dead serious.

Why do I give a crap if what I wear is "out of style"? It fits. It's still in decent condition. It gets worn.

Some of us aren't as independently wealthy as it appears that you are.

just spent $240 on some basketball shoes Jordan XII Retro though

I have probably only slightly exceeded that in my past 20 years of shoe purchases.
rolleye.gif

How much do you spend on computers, games, and other video stuff a year? You like messing with computer stuff... I buy clothes.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
How much do you spend on computers, games, and other video stuff a year? You like messing with computer stuff... I buy clothes.

Depends on the year, but very, very rarely is it $2500 worth.