Does Thermal Paste have a life span?

meanhoe

Nov 9, 2007
i have Arctic Cooling MX-2 i bought a couple years ago that has been safely tucked away. can i still use this after such a long time? is there a shelf life to paste?

coder_t2

Nov 6, 2009
I've used Ceramique that was 2 years old before. I actually have some Arctic silver 5 that I am going to use that is at least 3 years old. I just squirt some out to get rid of any junk or dust that got in the tip. Or any paste that hardened due to air exposure.

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
I have had arctic silver go bad on me before, when applying you could see it separated.

coder_t2

Nov 6, 2009
What does it look like? I had some clear gunk come out of my tube, but after that it was fine.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Sounds like it separated. You could try using it and seeing how it works, though. It may be one of those things where it will slightly affect performance, but not much (maybe it will run a few *C hotter, which wouldn't be a huge deal for most people).

Eddie313

Oct 15, 2006
Now OCZ Says there Shelf life is 24 months on paste discard after that.
I use about a tube 1.75 grams about every 2 weeks but also build a lot.

coder_t2

Nov 6, 2009
As long my temps on my C2D are below 50 C on full load I'd be fine. Currently I get 34 C. But I am switch cases from a mid tower with 2 120mm fans, to a HTPC with no fans. Also switching from AC Freezer 7 pro, to intel stock cooler. So lots of changes that aren't in favor of cooling lol. Hopefully the stock cooler isn't that loud.