Does the SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT HDHR4-2US work with Windows 10?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A review at B&H claims this:
- - - -
No Support for Windows 10

Someone needs to highlight the fact that HDHomeRun View WILL NOT WORK with Windows 10. You get sound but no video. It is not totally SD's fault. Microsoft has removed the Codec needed to convert the video (you cannot watch DVDs with a new Win10 install, or .mpg or others, either). The problem I have with SD is that they acknowledge the problem, but expressly refuse to tell you how to work around the problem. Only, apparently, if people boycotted the product until SD remedied the situation, would it get fixed. So, as well as it works with my older Windows installs, do not buy this until it fixes the Windows 10 issue.
- - - -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...s_hd_homerun_branded_atsc.html#customerReview

So, not for people running Windows 10 on their HTPC?

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
FUD. Just needs an MPEG-2 Codec- which does not in fact come with win10, but can be resolved in a myriad of ways- in my case I installed the Windows DVD Player which comes free if you upgraded directly from Win7. Alternatives include installing VLC, codec packs, etc....

<This may change to //being included//, as they had mentioned their intent to make it fully self- contained.>

I am writing this on my Win10 PC, while watching TV via the HDHR View app for Windows 10, from one of my (2) HDHR Connect tuners...

Reactions: Ken g6

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thanks for clarifications, I just ordered my HDHR from that site, best deal I see today at $81.51, free shipping.

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
Does the newer HDHomeRun app from the Windows store still require this? I don't think so. I think this was referring to the original standalone HDHomeRun View.

I have installed the Windows store app on several Win 10 systems and have not needed to install any third party codecs to get working sound.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Off topic some, but since some folks somewhat familiar with the HD Homeruns are paying attention to this thread, I'd like to ask about possible PVR to use with this (I ordered the SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT HDHR4-2US, should have it in a week or so). I have an MIT MyHD PCI HDTV card which comes with an app, a remote control and IR receiver. It can be used for DVR on HD Homerun recordings and I'm told I can timeshift an on-going recording, supporting FF/REW. The drawbacks to doing this with the MyHD cards and app are several:

1. Requires PCI slot.
2. Won't run reliably on Windows more advanced than Win7 32bit, which also limits me to 4GB RAM.
3. Can't play off the network unless the CPU is single core or running in single core mode.

Those are major drawbacks.

So, I'd like to get an alternative DVR solution without those drawbacks and that supports remote control, timeshifting (including an ongoing recording), FF/REW (configurable amounts important, especially nice would be selectable by hitting different buttons on the remote), nice also is ability to edit recordings (keep some portions, toss others). 1080p is all I use right now.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
. . .
So, I'd like to get an alternative DVR solution without those drawbacks and that supports remote control, timeshifting (including an ongoing recording), FF/REW (configurable amounts important, especially nice would be selectable by hitting different buttons on the remote), nice also is ability to edit recordings (keep some portions, toss others). . . .

So would we all wish for a viable solution. I've had too many other things to do for playing with the VIEW app and the special version of HDHR' software we got for paying our $60 subscription to SillyDust. Last time I worked with it -- a few months ago -- it still wouldn't display encrypted TV channels.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So would we all wish for a viable solution. I've had too many other things to do for playing with the VIEW app and the special version of HDHR' software we got for paying our $60 subscription to SillyDust. Last time I worked with it -- a few months ago -- it still wouldn't display encrypted TV channels.

I haven't taken the shrinkwrap off my HDHR. I figure (hope) to get my HDPC/HDTV midtower setup this week. I had all those features with the MyHD card + it's software and remote. The drawbacks were squirrliness with my particular PC (hopefully fixed with the replacement mobo, CPU, vid card, etc.), and word is I can use the MyHD card/app to play HDHR recordings, even in progress, so I suppose (hope) that all the features that worked with MyHD recordings work the same in this configuration with the HDHR making the recordings instead of the MyHD card. Word is, a lot of the MyHD crowd have gone this route... buying a HDHR. If this all works out, I won't need my second midtower, with has it's own MyHD card (you can only have one/computer, and MyHD cannot make two recordings at once).

Oh, and encrypted TV channels are not currently a concern of mine. I'm strictly OTA.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
there are so many options for an OTA DVR software package that vary widely as to what their "best use case" is, the short form is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DVR_software_packages

Also, Plex has a DVR in Beta (no LIVE, Plex Pass members only)
SiliconDust also has a DVR Beta ($60 to opt in)
Thanks for that link.

The cool thing about the MyHD DVR app is that it's free with the card. They actually updated the app after I bought the card to include timeshifting... i.e. viewing an on-going recording with configurable FF/REW. I intend to use it with ongoing HDHR recordings.

I may or may not continue to use the MyHD card to make recordings. Have to experiment. To do so I'd just need to feed the card an antenna connection. I do have two rooftop antennas, so it's doable no sweat.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
NPVR (free) also works well with silicondust's devices, that is what I use for my homerun (cablecard version).