Does the possibility of an assassination attempt worry you?...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: midway
Having seen what Palin and McCain have been doing at their rallies lately, yes I'm worried. These two are cottoning up the uneducated racists and now the rhetoric of "Obama is a terrorist" seems to have taken hold among our less toothed and less educated brethren.

Here is a secret. If Obama is assainated it wont be from a toothless inbred idiot. No matter how much people on the left fantisize about that scenario.

And you know that how?
They're too stupid. It would take a hardcore 'neck, but not all necks are stupid. I guess that's what he's getting at.

There's only 2 types of people who would attempt it.
1 a crazy fanatic type person like John Hinckley (who shot Reagan) and Mark Chapman (who shot Lennon) who will try without much regards to the risks to themselves.
2 a determined toothless inbred who is not an idiot and will coldly plan an attempt.

Either way luck will play a part whether any such attempt will be successful or not.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What I find really surprising is that GWB did not get hit. A loathed as he is, you'd think for sure that there would be someone passionate enough out there to have done this. Either that or he has no exposure in a real sense. Of course I don't wish assasination on anyone but there have been times I've felt a sucessful hit on Bush would have been inevitable.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
What former U.S. Senator has made it through a full term in the White House?

Being that I don't like either party I have no hurt feelings if whoever is elected winds up dead.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Only worried by the fact that if Obama was killed if he was elected president you would see the Rodney King/LA Riots X 100.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't think Obama is in any more danger of being assassinated than any other president.

yes, he's black... but Bush is the most hated president in the history of our country and the left is going to shit a brick of McCain wins..

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mooseracing

Being that I don't like either party I have no hurt feelings if whoever is elected winds up dead.

Frankly thats not nice - wish anyone dead, least of all the President.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
What I find really surprising is that GWB did not get hit. A loathed as he is, you'd think for sure that there would be someone passionate enough out there to have done this. Either that or he has no exposure in a real sense. Of course I don't wish assasination on anyone but there have been times I've felt a sucessful hit on Bush would have been inevitable.
Well with Cheney as VP the alternative to Bush would be worse kind of like McCain.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
The only way I see an assassination is if he gets a supermajority in congress, becomes de facto dictator, AND abuses his power. Then I can see a conspiracy from the CIA/Secret Service to off him, if a revolution doesn't come first and burn down the capital.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
The only way I see an assassination is if he gets a supermajority in congress, becomes de facto dictator, AND abuses his power. Then I can see a conspiracy from the CIA/Secret Service to off him, if a revolution doesn't come first and burn down the capital.

Really? I mean people try to assassinate presidents fairly often, it just requires a kook or two. Sadly I do think that there might be more kooks out there than normal looking to off President Comrade Mohammed Blackass.

Feb 10, 2000
It does indeed concern me. If he were assassinated it would be a tragedy for this country, and it's clear that there are a fair number of people out there motivated to do just that (a few have already been arrested planning his murder).

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I'm not an Obama supporter, but to be honest, the possibility of an assassination has crossed my mind. I'd be as angry if he were assassinated as I would be for any president, whether I voted for him or not.

I would hope that Americans aren't that stupid. I honestly thought Bush would be assassinated by idiotic zealots. If Obama were assassinated, it would be similarly by idiotic zealots.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I'm not an Obama supporter, but to be honest, the possibility of an assassination has crossed my mind. I'd be as angry if he were assassinated as I would be for any president, whether I voted for him or not.

I would hope that Americans aren't that stupid. I honestly thought Bush would be assassinated by idiotic zealots. If Obama were assassinated, it would be similarly by idiotic zealots.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: JS80

Really? I mean people try to assassinate presidents fairly often, it just requires a kook or two. Sadly I do think that there might be more kooks out there than normal looking to off President Comrade Mohammed Blackass.

I was thinking more of a viable assassination conspiracy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: mooseracing

LBJ.

i'm suspicious of biden. RIAA tool, practically wrote the patriot act back in the 90s, etc. so, yes, i'm scared that we go from someone who might actually have ideals and a backbone to someone who is just your run-of-the-mill 35 year senator.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
I think it's more likely than the chance of McCain dying in office. I wonder why Matt Damon doesn't talk about *that* probability?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I know this sounds crass but I hope he is at least is inaugurated before that happens.. it isn't a reason to vote for Obama but it would be a symbolic victory for Americans to have the first black President.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Well with Cheney as VP the alternative to Bush would be worse kind of like McCain.

:laugh:

Damn right.

The thought of 'President Cheney' is most likely behind the lack of forceful action to impeach Dubs ...

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: midway
Having seen what Palin and McCain have been doing at their rallies lately, yes I'm worried. These two are cottoning up the uneducated racists and now the rhetoric of "Obama is a terrorist" seems to have taken hold among our less toothed and less educated brethren.

Here is a secret. If Obama is assainated it wont be from a toothless inbred idiot. No matter how much people on the left fantisize about that scenario.

My initial thought was that "they" would have to come up with one though but then I quickly realized that to the contrary the patsy would have to represent the enemies of the perpetrators (not their base ha ha). So that would imply someone with foreign ties rather than a redneck.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Or do you feel such talk is mostly tin foil hat conspiracy talk? I don't usually like bringing up such topics and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way shape or form!! However several things have me worried about the possibility of an attempt on Obama's life.

(1) The palpable sense of hope that Obama is engendering. The future looks pretty bleak right now on multiple fronts and Obama is one of the few bright lights in the dark.

I don't see what the above has anything to do with increased possibilities of assination? Are you worried about some type of "I want America to suck" crowd?

(2) The desperation of the right wing. They can see this election slipping away from them day by day and we are seeing it drive them to desperation. Even their senior political members are willing to use horrendous smear tactics (linking Obama with terrorism!).

The Repubs have known this race was lost since about '06. The desperation I see them expressing is with McCain and his lame-@ssed campaign.

Playing up the Obama-Ayers conection is just run-of-the-mill type campaign stuff, particularly for a candidate (McCain) who is behind. Like it or not there is a connection, whether or not that is of importance is another matter.

I've said before the usual 527 stuff will be coming (it's here now), I'm almost surprised some state org (527) hasn't brought up Obama's drug use. I'll wouldn't be surprised if it shows up soon.

(3) The really obvious one, Obama is black. As we all know there are plenty of right wing KKK type nut jobs out there willing to do more than just talk.

Racist KKK types aren't policy wonks. They're just racists; it's what defines them, not party affiliation.

I've lived in the South on-and-off for a number of years and - News Flash! - a lot of poor toothless rednecks are Democrats. Until Reagan came around all were Dems and many have stayed that way as they use a lot of government services. Which party (panders) promises low income people more?

Taken together especially as we head into the final few weeks of the campaign it's a worrisome mixture. It's often the case that those beacons of hope during times of crisis become the targets of the desperate and the crazy.

Is this crazy talk or is anyone else worried about the possibility too?

See bolded above.

I'm not worried about any assination attempts; I only think about it when somebody else brings it up.

IMO, if it happens it isn't gonna be some *loner racist*; although I would expect *they* may try to pin it on one. Otherwise, I could see some attention-whoring pysco like those mentioned above having a go at it. However, I do not expect them to be successful.

IMO, anybody thinking of a lone gunman at 2,000 yards or a small plane laden with explosives is watching way too many movies. If we're gonna get into *movie plot* type senarios I prefer our intel agencies or a foreign government trying to destabilise the USA.

Fern

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Farang
I know this sounds crass but I hope he is at least is inaugurated before that happens.. it isn't a reason to vote for Obama but it would be a symbolic victory for Americans to have the first black President.
Indeed, a martyr to his party, and probably by his party.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

With Cheney already having one foot in the grave and another on that nasty, slippery Iraqi oil, it wouldn't take long before it was President Pelosi. ;)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Seeing those Palin/McCain rallies with such overt displays of racism really brings home the possibility this could very well happen if Obama wins. I disagree that Obama is in no less danger than any other president in our history. If you believe this you don't understand racism in this country. It trumps any hatred those on the left had for Bush by orders of magnitude.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Maybe we could send him through the crowds in the popemobile.

We couldn't call it the 'popemobile' thought.

What would you call a fancy car that african americans drive around in?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just another reason to Vote Obama. McCain would have a very difficult time recovering from an Assasination Attempt.