• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Does the possibility of an assassination attempt worry you?...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
There have already been multiple people apprehended carrying loaded weapons with plans to assassinate Obama, so I'd say it's not a tin foil hat conspiracy - it's a very real possibility.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I don't worry one bit. Both candidates are douches that will probably do nothing but further degrade the country. The only difference is in how they go about it. Regardless of who is elected, if either one were to be assassinated, or have an attempt on their life, I'd probably pause for a second, say "Huh", and then go back to my life.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Or do you feel such talk is mostly tin foil hat conspiracy talk? I don't usually like bringing up such topics and I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist in any way shape or form!! However several things have me worried about the possibility of an attempt on Obama's life.

(1) The palpable sense of hope that Obama is engendering. The future looks pretty bleak right now on multiple fronts and Obama is one of the few bright lights in the dark.

I don't see what the above has anything to do with increased possibilities of assination? Are you worried about some type of "I want America to suck" crowd?

(2) The desperation of the right wing. They can see this election slipping away from them day by day and we are seeing it drive them to desperation. Even their senior political members are willing to use horrendous smear tactics (linking Obama with terrorism!).

The Repubs have known this race was lost since about '06. The desperation I see them expressing is with McCain and his lame-@ssed campaign.

Playing up the Obama-Ayers conection is just run-of-the-mill type campaign stuff, particularly for a candidate (McCain) who is behind. Like it or not there is a connection, whether or not that is of importance is another matter.

I've said before the usual 527 stuff will be coming (it's here now), I'm almost surprised some state org (527) hasn't brought up Obama's drug use. I'll wouldn't be surprised if it shows up soon.

(3) The really obvious one, Obama is black. As we all know there are plenty of right wing KKK type nut jobs out there willing to do more than just talk.

Racist KKK types aren't policy wonks. They're just racists; it's what defines them, not party affiliation.

I've lived in the South on-and-off for a number of years and - News Flash! - a lot of poor toothless rednecks are Democrats. Until Reagan came around all were Dems and many have stayed that way as they use a lot of government services. Which party (panders) promises low income people more?

Taken together especially as we head into the final few weeks of the campaign it's a worrisome mixture. It's often the case that those beacons of hope during times of crisis become the targets of the desperate and the crazy.

Is this crazy talk or is anyone else worried about the possibility too?
See bolded above.

I'm not worried about any assination attempts; I only think about it when somebody else brings it up.

IMO, if it happens it isn't gonna be some *loner racist*; although I would expect *they* may try to pin it on one. Otherwise, I could see some attention-whoring pysco like those mentioned above having a go at it. However, I do not expect them to be successful.

IMO, anybody thinking of a lone gunman at 2,000 yards or a small plane laden with explosives is watching way too many movies. If we're gonna get into *movie plot* type senarios I prefer our intel agencies or a foreign government trying to destabilise the USA.

Fern
I guess you forgot about the small plane that crashed into the White House ten years ago, Fern.

Or the grenade incidence ioverseas n Georgia with Bush.

FYI - the secret service does not publish attempts on the president's life.

Oct 28, 2006
Originally posted by: 5to1baby1in5
Maybe we could send him through the crowds in the popemobile.

We couldn't call it the 'popemobile' thought.

What would you call a fancy car that african americans drive around in?

It could be a low rider Escalade with hydralics and a bumpin system that blares a remixed version of "hail to the chief" maybe?

We could call it "The presidential Pimpmobile".

Damnit you had to ask...and I couldn't resist.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: noto12ious
if you think obama will rock the boat in terms of policy, then see first link in sig.
Umm not sure what you mean but your link is the exact kind of conspiracy talk I do NOT want to be associated with.
... but the notion that the Right Wing would collaborate to whack black Jesus is something you have no problem associating with?

Sadly, I do think it's a possibility. I would steer clear of Cowtown, USA, though I think the Clintons pose a far greater threat than anyone else.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
I agree to a certain extent with Skoorb, it is very difficult to kill a President these days. At the same time though, I still think there are those crazy oldschool racist psycho's out there that would attempt this. I think it would be AWFUL for this country if something like this happened, not specifically because Obama would be gone, but because it would bring back all kinds of racism in this country. The riots would be out of control, imo. Something I def. don't want to see, but the thought of it happening has certainly crossed my mind.
It will be a sad day for the country if it happens. And a sad reflection on American society.

While such an event seems unlikely, given the security protection provided to presidents these days, I too worry about some deranged person who is crazy or motivated enough to attempt it. And lets be honest, if someone really wanted to he/she could probably succeed.

The country will be set back 50 years.

I just hope it never happens.

Pfft...50? More like 150! or 200+! The Brits would control us, we would be using ox-driven carts for transportation, we would be shitting in a buck...wait, nothing would be different.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Even at this point I'm surprised there haven't been several high-profile attempts. Who does his security detail anyway? They deserve a raise, whoever they are.

And yeah if it happens, there will be riots in the streets of many major US cities and a lot of currently unforeseen consequences. And deservedly so.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
I agree to a certain extent with Skoorb, it is very difficult to kill a President these days. At the same time though, I still think there are those crazy oldschool racist psycho's out there that would attempt this. I think it would be AWFUL for this country if something like this happened, not specifically because Obama would be gone, but because it would bring back all kinds of racism in this country. The riots would be out of control, imo. Something I def. don't want to see, but the thought of it happening has certainly crossed my mind.
It will be a sad day for the country if it happens. And a sad reflection on American society.

While such an event seems unlikely, given the security protection provided to presidents these days, I too worry about some deranged person who is crazy or motivated enough to attempt it. And lets be honest, if someone really wanted to he/she could probably succeed.

The country will be set back 50 years.

I just hope it never happens.

Pfft...50? More like 150! or 200+! The Brits would control us, we would be using ox-driven carts for transportation, we would be shitting in a buck...wait, nothing would be different.
I had race relations in mind. Not go back scientifically or in technology.

ASK THE COMMUNITY