Does the parable of two sons make sense?

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
The Parable of the Two Sons
"What is your opinion? A man had two sons. He came to the first and said, 'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.' He said in reply, 'I will not,' but afterwards he changed his mind and went. The man came to the other son and gave the same order. He said in reply, 'Yes, sir,' but did not go. Which of the two did his father's will? They answered, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you. When John came to you in the way of righteousness, you did not believe him; but the tax collectors and prostitutes did. Yet even when you saw that, you did not later change your minds and believe him." -Matthew 21

Jesus is saying that the second son was better than the first. To me this parable makes no sense because the second son is all talk but no action. The first son actually goes on to work in the vineyard and does what his father wanted. The second son is a liar. I realize that the parables are not to be taken for their literal meaning but in this case (and probably many others) it seems contradictory.

What is Jesus trying to illustrate by means of this story that makes no sense?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Kinda works the other way around, as I see it. The Pharasees at the time were people who constantly were out to prove how much better they were than other people, how much more worthy, etc. They were the ones saying, "I will" to God, but they had neither compassion nor mercy, they didn't show love to those around them. Power-trippers, more like it.
The prostitutes and tax collectors, according to the Bible, were the ones Jesus ate with, the ones who believed and made changes. Though their outward appearance was that of having said, "I will not", they had their lives affected by Jesus' message and went on to actively change.

And where does Jesus say the second son is better than the first? "Which of the two did his father's will? They answered, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Amen..." He confirms their answer.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Jesus is saying the first is better than the second. The Pharasees agreed with him, and Jesus likened them to the second son.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You got the story backwards. The tax collectors and prostitutes changed thier ways, nad therefore are like the first son, the pharisees did not, but still professed that they were good and following god's rules, and therefore are like the second son.

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MistaEng
The Parable of the Two Sons

What is Jesus trying to illustrate by means of this story that makes no sense?
doesnt he also say there will be more rejoycing in heaven for one who realizes the wrongs of his ways and converts than someone who lived their entire life with blind faith?

i believe he is trying to say you must understand your faith and develop your conscience on your own, rather than blindly following the beliefs dictated to you by others

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Wow, very interesting. Well I got into an religious argument with my mom about this parable and she was telling her view which was what I had in my post above. She thought that the parable was saying that the second son was better than the first because bying saying "yes" upfront it would make the father feel better than an outright "no".

I thought the first son was the better of the two because he actually does what is wanted (likened to the tax collectors etc, who convert and change their ways) and because the second son is a liar. My mother did not get the symbolism behind the sons in this noe and I guess I'll have to explain it her.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys! :)

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Yeah, your MOM was the one who misinterpreted the parable? Mmmkayy.......
rolleye.gif