Does the new ATI card support parallax mapping

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: Description
Or displacement mapping?

"Displacement mapping: CineFX 3.0 allows vertex processing with textures, providing a new level of depth and realism to every component, surface, and character in a scene. Displacement mapping allows developers to make subtle changes in a model?s geometry with very little computational cost."

I've only ever heard displacement mapping being applied to NV40 and not the R420 so I presume it doesn't feature displacement mapping.

I've always thought you needed vertex shader 3.0 to do displacement mapping?

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
You can do displacement mapping without VS3.0. VS3.0 lets you do it entirely within the vertex shader, which is, presumably, a lot faster than other implementations (although I *still* haven't seen any numbers on how fast NV40 can do it).

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Parallax mapping is supported on r300+ if I'm not mistaken. Following this Thread at OpenGL.org. It looks like a pretty cool technique, and I ran offsetmap, uberbump and the demo by Humus.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: rbV5
Parallax mapping is supported on r300+ if I'm not mistaken. Following this Thread at OpenGL.org. It looks like a pretty cool technique, and I ran offsetmap, uberbump and the demo by Humus.

That looks pretty good.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I saw where they had it running on a GF2 card, but to really see the effect, you need ARB_fragment_program and ARB_vertex_program OGL extension support. It does look great, I think we'll be seeing alot of this going forward.