Does the HDMI hole i plug my monitor into my pc with affect my fps?

Tristan Edwards

Apr 16, 2018
I have a nvidia gtx 1080 and an intel core i5, and there are 3 HDMI holes for my BenQ monitor to plug into my pc, it appears that if i dont get the right one out of three my fps caps on all games to 5, battlefield 1 or minecraft, and when i get the right one its normal. Each hole is connected to a different thing, one is on the graphics card one is on the Z270E mother board and the other seems to be attached to nothing or another one on the motherboard. Does the HDMI hole affect anything? Thanks

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
HDMI "ports". It's unlikely which port on the monitor you use will affect anything.

Yes, it's very different if you plug the monitor into the dedicated GPU (your 1080) versus if you plug the monitor into the motherboard (connected to the iGPU inside the CPU). They can both display a picture, but the GPU is much, much, much, faster.

So for a single monitor just have a single cable going to the 1080 and it should always work well.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i know one of the holes on my 4k Tv does 60hz@4k. i believe the other holes do 30hz so your monitor could be the same! make sure check each hole for which one you like using best would be best answer right?

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
As others have said, a monitor that is plugged into the motherboard will be run with the CPU's onboard graphics, which is why your gaming FPS is terrible when you use the port on the motherboard. If your monitor(s) support it I would recommend using Displayport rather than HDMI and plug all monitors into the graphics card.