Does the brand of gas matter? 76 vs Shell vs Arco

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LordSnailz, Mar 3, 2008.

1. LordSnailz

LordSnailz Diamond Member

bah, I kinda suck at the googles ... I don't want to wade through all the searches, I want something reputatble, hence my post. :)

I want to tap into the collective intelligence of ATOT.

Does the brand of car affect the performance of the car? The longevity? Can you actually feel the difference?

2. Cdubneeddeal

Cdubneeddeal Diamond Member

Honestly, I don't have an conclusive proof to my next statement. Out of all the three in your title I think Shell is the best choice. 76 is pretty good gas too but Arco is the worst you can buy. Every time I put that junk in my car, it seems to suck it down like water. As a matter of fact, I've been told that the gas is somewhat diluted to keep prices down. However, I have no proof to back that up.

3. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Wouldn't diluting gas be illegal? I thought the biggest difference between different stations was the extra "detergents" or additives they put in.

4. Cdubneeddeal

Cdubneeddeal Diamond Member

You're correct. Just did a search.

5. LordSnailz

LordSnailz Diamond Member

yeah, the difference is the additives but does those things help the performance or life of the car? Or is it more of a placebo affect? Wondering if there any research done on this and no it's not for hw, it's more impt., it's to settle an argument with a buddy of mine. :)

6. Dudewithoutapet

Dudewithoutapet Golden Member

I think placebo effect only works on humans, because we tend to believe in something and somehow it works. I don't think you can apply that to our cars though. Perhaps you are thinking of just a comforting thought, thinking you're doing good for your car? I believe they did a study with Shell and Chevron, it really did have less build up after X amount of miles or something from those two gas brands. Just something I heard from my dad, of course you can't believe everything that comes of out that guy's mouth.

7. Kromis

Kromis Diamond Member

"Gas is gas"

8. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Golden Member

eh, i stay away form UDF, swiffy, and tend to fill up with shell or bp. We have a chevron station close, but it's always 15 cents higher than any other place

9. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

:thumbsup:

The thing that matters the most is the tanks and pumps. Most states do test to see if water is gettign in the tank and/or if gas is getting out. Other then that put the cheapest gas that fits the octance requirments of you car in.

Worked fine so far for the C5 Corvette, Turbo Saab, and the CTS. Let alone all my other cars I have had over the years.

10. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

Most gas in a given area comes from the same source, the only thing that could possibly be different is the additives.

11. MetalMat

MetalMat Diamond Member

Just run some gas additives every once in a while, does the same thing as what shell claims.

12. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

I'll run out of gas before I stop at a Citgo, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel. :D

13. HESDog

HESDog Golden Member

B.S.

There is a difference, and it is all in the additives.

Text

14. ayabe

ayabe Diamond Member

No, BS on you.

Who do you think funds that little no disclosure website?

check under the Retailers link for your answer.

15. jagec

jagec Lifer

I used to preach that as well, but now I stay well away from Arco. I swear they must water that stuff down or something. Waaayyy too many personal experiences from me and friends to use that stuff again.

I use Chevron, because they have the best additives package, and their equipment is often in better condition.

the additives, the condition of the pipes and trucks that ferry the stuff from refinery to station, the condition of the tanks.

16. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

From what I had seen, the additives do make a difference, but whether that difference is significant is up to you. But up to the point that they put the additives in, gas is gas.

17. Killrose

Killrose Diamond Member

I did a quick search to see if there was a dyno fuel test comparison but did not see one. Anyone know of a link showing various fuels being dyno tested in a shoot-out of some sort?

18. Vic

Vic Elite Member

What top professional tuners have told me is that there definitely is a difference and that it's that the top tier gases are of more consistent quality. So it's not something you'll see in a dyno run shoot-out but over time, but sooner than the lack of additives. Usually what happens is that inconsistent quality gas will cause occasional pinging, which will cause the ECU to reduce the advance multiplier and pull (retard) ignition timing, which means jerkier acceleration and less full power.

19. imported_wonderwrench

Better fuel as additives that help keep valves clean. Best bet is to buy fuel from a station that does a lot of business. Their fuel will be fresher, cleaner and they tend to use better fuel suppliers. Also never fuel up if they are filling their tanks as it stirs up any contaminates in their tanks. Most stations have inline filters but its not worth the risk.

20. MegaVovaN

MegaVovaN Diamond Member

Dad tells me to fuel up on the same station (company).
    He always fills up at Shell, mom fills up at Citgo.

21. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Only station I won't buy gas from is Citgo.

22. BW86

BW86 Lifer

I always fill up with Shell

23. RichieZ

RichieZ Diamond Member

shell v-power only

24. MegaVovaN

MegaVovaN Diamond Member

Why?

25. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Because I don't want to knowingly support Chavez.