does the alledged voice of mohammed atta from flight 11 have an israeli accent??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: event8horizon
Originally posted by: shinerburke
sounds like i have a very legite question considering what all the other bots are throwing out

No...it is a retarded question that should be ridiculed until you realize how stupid it really is and hopefully grow a brain so that you can at least function as a somewhat productive member of society. I mean not everyone can be a surgeon or an engineer, but maybe someday you can have enough synapses firing that you can finally get that promotion to working the deep fryer on the afternoon shift at McDonald's.

so what kind of accent is it?? questioning things are good.

Link

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
sounds like i have a very legite question considering what all the other bots are throwing out

No...it is a retarded question that should be ridiculed until you realize how stupid it really is and hopefully grow a brain so that you can at least function as a somewhat productive member of society. I mean not everyone can be a surgeon or an engineer, but maybe someday you can have enough synapses firing that you can finally get that promotion to working the deep fryer on the afternoon shift at McDonald's.

Link

nice, later- enjoyed the intellectual stimulation!!

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007

Link

nice, later- enjoyed the intellectual stimulation!!

Here's some more. Report back tomorrow and we'll see how far you are.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
It's Fargo-ish. Go watch the movie, learn.
u know u dont belong in this thread....its not money related or fed related. tell us about how the engineers (jeckyll island boys) of the fed also had a hand in establishing the CFR if u wanna contribute.

if u really had a clue to the accent u would tell. dosent sound like u do. go play elsewhere.

With what kind of accent are you speaking? You should probably work on your own language skills before worrying about conspiracies involving others', so you stop coming off as a 16 year old idiot.

im guessing your not familar with LK????? and his ardent fed positioning/agenda.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
ill be back in the A.M. if anyone wants to contribute rationaly. some consider REASON a very important aspect to have. im trying to reason my way through this whole accent thing. all i have gotten is bots to work with.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The accent is so obviously Arabic it's not even funny.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

True but being an idiot on purpose is bad!!

Why throw the word Israel into your topic summary?

YYour not very good an being cunning...

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
ill be back in the A.M. if anyone wants to contribute rationaly. some consider REASON a very important aspect to have. im trying to reason my way through this whole accent thing. all i have gotten is bots to work with.

To the untrained ear Arabic and Israeli accents can sound similar.

And there is no one definitive Arabic accent. You find a whole range of them as you move around different Arab countries and talk to people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

The idea that Atta is Israeli is so preposterous that you will be ridiculed for even suggesting it. The responses in this thread should tell you that.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
It's Fargo-ish. Go watch the movie, learn.
u know u dont belong in this thread....its not money related or fed related. tell us about how the engineers (jeckyll island boys) of the fed also had a hand in establishing the CFR if u wanna contribute.

if u really had a clue to the accent u would tell. dosent sound like u do. go play elsewhere.

With what kind of accent are you speaking? You should probably work on your own language skills before worrying about conspiracies involving others', so you stop coming off as a 16 year old idiot.

im guessing your not familar with LK????? and his ardent fed positioning/agenda.

I wasn't talking about LK. I am familiar with him, and I am familiar with his abundant experience with economic matters, which you seem to think is relevant to this topic.

I was referring to your inability to type 2 extra letters in order to make yourself not look like an illiterate jackass, which is apparently more than you can handle.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

To the untrained ear Arabic and Israeli accents can sound similar.

And there is no one definitive Arabic accent. You find a whole range of them as you move around different Arab countries and talk to people from different socio-economic backgrounds.

The idea that Atta is Israeli is so preposterous that you will be ridiculed for even suggesting it. The responses in this thread should tell you that

lets focus on egypt considering that is where he was born and raised. and his socio-econ background was high middle to upper considering that his sister is or was a doctor and he had access to multiple colleges. still, is the accent egyptian or israeli or something completely different.
still nobody has said what accent this guy has. i bet the FBI or CIA has comps that can run this voice through to analyze it and determine the possible orgin. i have seen nowhere that states this IS an egyptian accent. only "believed to be atta" or "alleged to be atta."
so no, this is not a preposterous question and i shouldnt be ridiculed considering its just a question and i do not live around anyone that has an accent from egypt or israel to tell.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
ive found an interesting video for everyone. its "dora" in israel on a talk show. im sure ill get bashed for posting this but focus on how the israeli's pronounce the letter "R".

http://volokh.com/posts/1203340383.shtml

the reason i post this is because of the letter "R".

from the original post (prisonplanet)

"Hello, I don't really know Mohammed Atta's voice, but based on what I heard, it is definitely not Egyptian nor Arabic accent. In the Egyptian accent, it is going to be OK will sound like Itti izzi going to be OK, with a lot of vowels added to the words. I would say it is more Israeli Ashkenazi accent than Arabic or Egyptian one. The R is not pronounced correctly, I doubt that you could find one single Arab man who cannot pronounce the R correctly. Israeli people from Ashkenazi origins pronounce the R as Agghh, like in saying baseeder ( OK in Hebrew) they say it baseedagh..the same with airport they pronounce it aighpot..just like in the tape. Also the way he says " no body moves" and " if you try to make any move" sound so not Arabic accent. The way he talks makes you believe he is Israeli or at least was raised in Israeli family not Arabic family. The way an Arab would say that would be " no booddeh movez" and " if you etraye to makeh any move" . I would like to mention that I am an Arab girl, who has studied Hebrew and has been around many Israelis from Sephardi and Ashkenazi origins. I am also very familiar with the different accents of the different Arab countries in Asia and Africa. "

now for another video. u guys are going to love this. its a lack of research material that i have to post such videos. this guy is from egypt and has been in the states for 3 yrs and he can pronounce the leter "R" very well. atta was here for awhile and was also from egypt. ill do more research on the egyptian accent "R" later but this is what i have found so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGfCuS9XS8

so lets focus on how that guy (allegedly atta) pronounces the "R" in the tape. is that typical for an egyptian????

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"Watching [Loose Change] is like being bukakked with stupid."

- Maddox

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Seeing as I have some expertise in this area, I thought I'd give this a fair shot: I can't say it's definitive one way or the other, but I'd definitely lean towards it being more of an Arabic accent than Israeli.

With that evaluation done, what's the theory behind this? I guess the Jews really were behind 9/11?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Both Hebrew and Arabic are Semitic Languages. There are dozens of variations of Semitic languages used throughout the world, and hundreds - perhaps even thousands - of distinctive dialects; not to mention the influence of Western education, or living abroad, on all of the above.

Here's a decent breakdown of just the Egyptian variations of Arabic:

The Egyptian variants spoken in central and southern Egypt, referred to collectively as Sa'idi (Upper Egyptian), are mainly descended from the northern Egyptian dialect but are distinct from the Cairene sociolect in their phonology due to early contacts with Bedouin Arab dialects. They carry little prestige nationally though continue to be widely spoken, including in the north by rural migrants who have adapted partially to Lower Egyptian dialect. For example, the Sa'idi genitive exponent is usually replaced with Lower Egyptian bita?, but the realization of /q/ as /g/ is retained. Second and third-generation southern Egyptian migrants are monolingual in Cairene Arabic, but maintain cultural and familial ties to the south.

The traditional division between Lower and Upper Egypt and their respective dialectal differences go back to ancient times. Egyptians today commonly refer to the people of the north as ba?arwa and to those of the south as ?a?ayda. The dialectal differences throughout Egypt, however, are more wide ranging and do not neatly correspond to this simple division. There is a linguistic shift from the eastern to the western parts of the delta, and the dialects spoken from Gizah to el Minya are further grouped into a Middle Egypt cluster. Despite these differences, there are features distinguishing all Egyptian Arabic dialects from any other Arabic variety, including the postposition of demonstratives and interrogatives, the modal meaning of the imperfect, and the integration of the participle.

The dialect of western Alexandria is different from all other forms of Egyptian, as linguistically it forms part of the Maghrebi group of dialects. The same was formerly true of the Egyptian form of Judaeo-Arabic.
Source: Egyptian Arabic

Mohammed Atta grew up in Cairo, studied English and German, and then spent six years living in Germany. Following his time in Germany, he spent 2-3 more years traveling and training with foreign Muslim fighters from every corner of the globe - a collection who spoke Farsi, Arabic, Dari, Pashto, or any one of a thousand lexical variations in between.

At that point, I'm sure his childhood Cairene Arabic had changed quite a bit, so I'll let you figure out the rest...

That said, you're nothing more than a conspiracy-addicted troll. Please stop crapping in these forums.

kkthxbye.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Both Hebrew and Arabic are Semitic Languages. There are dozens of variations of Semitic languages used throughout the world, and hundreds - perhaps even thousands - of distinctive dialects; not to mention the influence of Western education, or living abroad, on all of the above.

Here's a decent breakdown of just the Egyptian variations of Arabic:

The Egyptian variants spoken in central and southern Egypt, referred to collectively as Sa'idi (Upper Egyptian), are mainly descended from the northern Egyptian dialect but are distinct from the Cairene sociolect in their phonology due to early contacts with Bedouin Arab dialects. They carry little prestige nationally though continue to be widely spoken, including in the north by rural migrants who have adapted partially to Lower Egyptian dialect. For example, the Sa'idi genitive exponent is usually replaced with Lower Egyptian bita?, but the realization of /q/ as /g/ is retained. Second and third-generation southern Egyptian migrants are monolingual in Cairene Arabic, but maintain cultural and familial ties to the south.

The traditional division between Lower and Upper Egypt and their respective dialectal differences go back to ancient times. Egyptians today commonly refer to the people of the north as ba?arwa and to those of the south as ?a?ayda. The dialectal differences throughout Egypt, however, are more wide ranging and do not neatly correspond to this simple division. There is a linguistic shift from the eastern to the western parts of the delta, and the dialects spoken from Gizah to el Minya are further grouped into a Middle Egypt cluster. Despite these differences, there are features distinguishing all Egyptian Arabic dialects from any other Arabic variety, including the postposition of demonstratives and interrogatives, the modal meaning of the imperfect, and the integration of the participle.

The dialect of western Alexandria is different from all other forms of Egyptian, as linguistically it forms part of the Maghrebi group of dialects. The same was formerly true of the Egyptian form of Judaeo-Arabic.
Source: Egyptian Arabic

Mohammed Atta grew up in Cairo, studied English and German, and then spent six years living in Germany. Following his time in Germany, he spent 2-3 more years traveling and training with foreign Muslim fighters from every corner of the globe - a collection who spoke Farsi, Arabic, Dari, Pashto, or any one of a thousand lexical variations in between.

At that point, I'm sure his childhood Cairene Arabic had changed quite a bit, so I'll let you figure out the rest...

That said, you're nothing more than a conspiracy-addicted troll. Please stop crapping in these forums.

kkthxbye.

thats a nice post. is the accent egyptian or not?? as for the childhood cairene arabic, he was at least 20yrs old when he went to germany. thats not 'childhood".
u really didnt say whether it was egyptian or not. yes he did study english and should have learned his "R's". maybe the german made him forget them when speaking english!! lol.
its not a conspiracy if everything i have read says the voice is "believed" and "alledged" to be attas.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
Seeing as I have some expertise in this area, I thought I'd give this a fair shot: I can't say it's definitive one way or the other, but I'd definitely lean towards it being more of an Arabic accent than Israeli.

With that evaluation done, what's the theory behind this? I guess the Jews really were behind 9/11?

Well, I have friends and acquaintances who are Arabic, Persian, and Israeli, and while my Hebrew experiences are mostly with Ashkenazi, this sounds Arabic to me. It's that throat-clearing quality in the accent that Arabic and Farsi has that AFAIK Hebrew does not.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: yllus

Well, I have friends and acquaintances who are Arabic, Persian, and Israeli, and while my Hebrew experiences are mostly with Ashkenazi, this sounds Arabic to me. It's that throat-clearing quality in the accent that Arabic and Farsi has that AFAIK Hebrew does not.

My issue is that while I can claim courtroom level expertise with Arabs, my exposure to Israelis is confined to the 5 months I spent dating an Israeli girl and hanging out with her family. It's tough for me to distinguish between the two because I don't know the breadth of the Israeli sound.

If I was forced to choose, I'd definitely say Arab. But since the entire topic spawns from idiocy I guess it doesn't matter.

Rabbi Mervin

Jun 24, 2011
ive found an interesting video for everyone. its "dora" in israel on a talk show. im sure ill get bashed for posting this but focus on how the israeli's pronounce the letter "R".

http://volokh.com/posts/1203340383.shtml

the reason i post this is because of the letter "R".

from the original post (prisonplanet)

"Hello, I don't really know Mohammed Atta's voice, but based on what I heard, it is definitely not Egyptian nor Arabic accent. In the Egyptian accent, it is going to be OK will sound like Itti izzi going to be OK, with a lot of vowels added to the words. I would say it is more Israeli Ashkenazi accent than Arabic or Egyptian one. The R is not pronounced correctly, I doubt that you could find one single Arab man who cannot pronounce the R correctly. Israeli people from Ashkenazi origins pronounce the R as Agghh, like in saying baseeder ( OK in Hebrew) they say it baseedagh..the same with airport they pronounce it aighpot..just like in the tape. Also the way he says " no body moves" and " if you try to make any move" sound so not Arabic accent. The way he talks makes you believe he is Israeli or at least was raised in Israeli family not Arabic family. The way an Arab would say that would be " no booddeh movez" and " if you etraye to makeh any move" . I would like to mention that I am an Arab girl, who has studied Hebrew and has been around many Israelis from Sephardi and Ashkenazi origins. I am also very familiar with the different accents of the different Arab countries in Asia and Africa. "

now for another video. u guys are going to love this. its a lack of research material that i have to post such videos. this guy is from egypt and has been in the states for 3 yrs and he can pronounce the leter "R" very well. atta was here for awhile and was also from egypt. ill do more research on the egyptian accent "R" later but this is what i have found so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGfCuS9XS8

so lets focus on how that guy (allegedly atta) pronounces the "R" in the tape. is that typical for an egyptian????

At one time the suggestion of a heavier than air flying machine was ridiculed. At one time it was suggested that a nation needed no more than one computer. A few hundred years ago anyone who suggested that the earth revolved around the sun was considered an enemy of God.

With those facts in mind, based on many years of experience with Arabic and Hebrew including listening to hundreds of hours of people speaking English with Arabic and Hebrew accents I can tell that even though both are Semitic languages the Hebrew accent in English is totally different from the Arabic accent in English.

Yes, there are many dialects of Arabic but Arabic is not so different that the vast majority of Arab speakers can still speak to each other and be understood. Furthermore, the Arab accent in English is not exactly the same for each dialect but much more similar to one another than to the Hebrew accent.

No one familiar with both would ever confuse them. Spanish and Italian are both Romance languages and similar in many ways but no one familiar with Italian and Spanish ever confuse the two or whether a person has a Spanish of Italian accent.

All political issues aside, the young woman in the original post knows what she is talking about and has hit the major points especially with regard to the "r" sound. As she wrote, Arabs tend to add a vowel before certain consonants as well.

Something she did not mention is that where and when Hebrew speakers place stress within words and in sentences is different than Arabic. The person speaking on the 9/11 tape exhibits the Hebrew pattern of stress not the Arabic pattern - at all.

You can guess all you want and you may not like the opinion but the accent is 100% Hebrew.

For Americans this would be like listening to a Brooklyn accent and someone from France insisting that it was an L.A. accent.

Now, the recording was played as part of the 9/11 Commision hearing. As far as I know no one could prove how it was recorded, where it was from or any other critical detail so if you want to discount it for that reason go ahead.

You can find plenty of examples of Israeli men speaking English and plenty of Arabic men speaking English on the internet. There are even sites where you can enter the text of what was said and it will read it back in a number of voices that represent different language rules. I did this on a site that read back in an Arabic voice just to see what these exact words would sound like and the accent did not sound anything like the 9/11 recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.