Does technology on TV annoy you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Originally posted by: CKent
God yes this has been a real peeve for me when I watch TV, which isn't very frequently. It's a good reminder of how utterly clueless the average person is about this.

The average sheep doesn't know jack siht about ANYTHING.

i read an article where people where complaining about the police not being able to solve crimes like on CSI.....

it has given the general population a distorted view of what technology can do

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Hugh Jackman was able to hack the Department of Defense in under 60 seconds using someone else's Dell laptop with a gun to his head and a blonde blowing him.

[Swordfish]

a blond was blowing him?!?!

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
It does annoy me, actually, when I see unrealistic stuff happening on computers. And the stupid black-and-green/blue interfaces they always seem to use annoy the crap out of me too.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Hugh Jackman was able to hack the Department of Defense in under 60 seconds using someone else's Dell laptop with a gun to his head and a blonde blowing him.

[Swordfish]

a blond was blowing him?!?!

I can't believe I never noticed your screen name earlier. It's quite witty if you don't mind me thread-crapping.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Mrvile
It does annoy me, actually, when I see unrealistic stuff happening on computers. And the stupid black-and-green/blue interfaces they always seem to use annoy the crap out of me too.

You got a problem with black and green? I really miss using that stuff sometimes. I had the most fun on a computer sitting in a public library before they had GUIs. Lynx rules.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Some what on topic--not the computer technology but the "science" technology.

I am a chemist and caught 30 seconds of one of the crime shows and one character said "I'm gonna shoot a GC (gas chromatography)" and 10 seconds later he gets the results. FFS the retention time on a standard column is ca. 2.4 min and an actual run takes at least 20 min for a somewhat decent GC and 1-2 hours for good seperation/spectra. Also from it they know the actual chemicals--which points to a GC-MS with one hell of a database, which as you might expect takes a little longer than a normal GC and no where near 10 seconds.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
I love the super fancy colorful and extra animated GUIs on PCs in movies. Think Transformers.

I alos love the fact you can hack or 'undelete' files with few keystrokes.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I love how the mouse is useless to everyone.
"Zoom in to the face of the driver"
keyboard goes clickity clacklity
"Enhance the image. Clean it up a bit."
more klickety klackaty
"Smile for the camera." *puts sunglasses on. yoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! dum da da dadum!

technophile82

Jun 5, 2005
holy crap, EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER in a tv show or movie makes beeps, clicks and whizzes whenever something is happening. opening a file? *zingzingzingzingzing...babeep!* zoom in to a photo with infinite resolution? *riiiiing...pop!* everytime.

im actually very impressed when i see MS Windows.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
I love the super fancy colorful and extra animated GUIs on PCs in movies. Think Transformers.

I alos love the fact you can hack or 'undelete' files with few keystrokes.

And a shredding process for deleting? If its deleted, it's deleted. O wait, they can just get the file back with a bit a keyboard work *clakity clakity* :p

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Those dudes have superior keyboard shortcut skizills. They never use the mouse.

Ever see Battle Programmer Shirase?

He soldered 4 keyboards together to a interface card, and used all 4 at over 5000APM. He was able to hack into the Russian space control center, and redirect 3 satilites to drop down onto a boat. that was AWESOME.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: foghorn67
I love how the mouse is useless to everyone.
"Zoom in to the face of the driver"
keyboard goes clickity clacklity
"Enhance the image. Clean it up a bit."
more klickety klackaty
"Smile for the camera." *puts sunglasses on. yoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! dum da da dadum!

OMG, that cracked me up cause it's soooo true. Every time I see that happens, I wish I can actually do it.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Numb3rs is the show that i hate! I started thread about this a long time ago when they were using "wavelet analysis" in a totally nonsensical manner. That and the fact that almost none of this "genius" analysis makes sense.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
I was watching CSI: Miami the other day. I had a good laugh about how what they did was virtually impossible. They got a picture of the crime scene taken by the killer at the crime scene. So they scan it, then Horatio(sp?) walks in says "wait whats that " and tells who ever to zoom in on the car hub cap (which in the picture is probably the size of a thumb nail.) So it zooms it (barely any pixelation). Then Horatio tells the guy to make the hub cap the whole screen (this time the picture gets very pixelated). Horatio then has the photo mirrored and flipped, and enhanced to make the suspect appear right side up, who is now in a high def picture by the way. They then pull his face and only his face off of the picture with a couple key stroke, they put the picture in the database and within a few seconds they know who this guy is, where he lived etc..

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/16

My thoughts on this matter.

A lot of technology annoys me, even scifi tech.

Giving a virus to an alien computer
Aliens using earth's satellite system to coordinate their movements (Seriously, why can't they do it themselves?)
50000X zoom with Cameras
Incredibly simplified GUI's with bright flashy colors, and text large enough to read 50 meters away
An OS that doesnt resemble anything we use today (Of course, they could just be using custom Os's)
Laptop/Desktops running intensive rendering applications that should take hours or days in real time
Cracking passwords with brute force in 5 seconds
LOADING VIRUS

I know that Sci Fi tech is not real, but I can still never figure these kinds of scenes out

'We're hit!! Shields at 50%!!! Fires on all decks! Weapons systems down! Engines are not responsive!! Main Core offline! Backups not responding!! Hull Structure is buckling! We've lost atmosphere on bottom decks!! Heavy Casualties!!" All while people are getting thrown around, every single circuit in the damn bridge blows up, and spark are flying.

Stargate especialyl abuses this. Every single ship scene is the same with sparks flying in the bridge
And I'm just sitting there going, "Your shields are still at 50%.. wtf.."
Shields are at 50% - so half of the damage goes through. And the things blowing up on the bridge are their futuristic surge suppressors, which use a compressed, powdered magnesium/oxygen mix. :p

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: homercles337
Numb3rs is the show that i hate! I started thread about this a long time ago when they were using "wavelet analysis" in a totally nonsensical manner. That and the fact that almost none of this "genius" analysis makes sense.

I like Fourier analysis, by the way. You'd be surprised what you can do with it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJelly

I am a chemist and caught 30 seconds of one of the crime shows and one character said "I'm gonna shoot a GC (gas chromatography)" and 10 seconds later he gets the results. FFS the retention time on a standard column is ca. 2.4 min and an actual run takes at least 20 min for a somewhat decent GC and 1-2 hours for good seperation/spectra. Also from it they know the actual chemicals--which points to a GC-MS with one hell of a database, which as you might expect takes a little longer than a normal GC and no where near 10 seconds.

well dna takes much longer as well, but you'd have to have the show skipping lots of time for it to be real then. time skipipng doesn't bother me much. impossible stuff like 100x digital zoom video picture enchancement bullsh*t does. then you just know the script writers were being lazy.

as for numb3rs, i think they are running out of good ideas

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Originally posted by: CKent
God yes this has been a real peeve for me when I watch TV, which isn't very frequently. It's a good reminder of how utterly clueless the average person is about this.

The average sheep doesn't know jack siht about ANYTHING.

i read an article where people where complaining about the police not being able to solve crimes like on CSI.....

it has given the general population a distorted view of what technology can do

Its bad. Its gotten so bad that when I do anything at a scene, I remind everyone this is not CSI, this is reality. "You mean you can't do that?!?!?"

No sir, no I cannot lift this one smudged latent print, scan it on my laptop and tell you with 100% accuracy who the criminal was. You'll be lucky if the lap even looks at this. Have a nice day.

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Riceckr
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: Riceckr
I know it's just entertainment, but watching CSI and seeing the programs they use really want to make me scream.

for example: there is a picture of someone's arm (on one of their giant 50" computer monitors) with a hand print on it. they've deducted that this person used a glove so there happens to be a glove database on the right side showing every type of glove they can scroll through. they find a type that fits and drag it to the bruises that that type of glove would make and the screen lights up and says "MATCH!"

so many other examples out there...are there any that you can think of?

sorry that isn't the exact scenario but that type of stuff just gets under my skin. the average person like my wife is like wow that's awesome. I understand that this isn't set in the future where something like this can exist, but it just seems like every situation they come across they can just enter it into the computer and bingo.

Your programming penis feeling a bit small today?

I'm asian :(

Zing!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The camera one has to be the worst.
I was given some photos by my brother that he took at his daughters graduation from about 50 rows back from the stage.
They were dark and you couldn't really make out his daughters face on the pictures.

I was told to "enhance" them, you know, like they do on tv !

I was like wtf ? your kidding right.

My favorite scifi/techie show now though has to be Eureka on scifi.
I think they finally got it right.
Some of the tech stuff on that show always makes me laugh.

nuclear heated spas , personal force fields and sonic fishing rods for everyone !

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJelly

Well...IF you know exactly what you're looking for, you can do better than that...the GC I used in France was fast, maybe 1-2 minutes for a full run...of course, it was an ethanol/water/acetone mix IIRC. Of course, that's not quite the same thing as when you're looking for trace amounts of some complex biomolecule, which I presume the crime show was doing.