Does swimming build muscle?

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
I am swimming maybe 1-2 times per week (one with a private coach, one practice.)

I want to increase that to maybe 4-5 times per week, but with my schedule, I can't do that AND go to the gym.

So, in short, my goals are:

1) Improve swimming skill through practice
2) Improve fitness by building muscle and cardiovascular health (I am VERY skinny, 7% body fat, 140 pounds, 6 feet tall)
3) Improve my diet by taking in more calories, protein, etc.

I know that swimming definitely helps with cardiovascular health, but my PRIMARY goal is muscle building. I don't want to be Arnold, I just want to put on 10-20 pounds TOTAL.

With the proper diet and the right intensity level/variation in my swimming workouts, will I be able to build (over maybe 6 months to 1 year) 10-20 pounds of muscle?

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think swimming would help tone muscle groups but you will need some other resistance training to add size.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Even at the high school level, swimmers swim at least 5 days a week. Plus, they swim for miles upon miles. The way you say "maybe 1-2 times per week" makes me think that you're not too serious about it - but you have a private coach??

Personally, I could never see the point of lifting weights just to have larger muscles than you need. I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with me though. If you are active, you should be able to develop all the muscles you need. There are some exceptions, of course - athletes who need to strength train, i.e. football linemen. I'm just one of those people who could never see the point of joining a gym - especially the people who go there to walk on treadmills?! There are no streets or sidewalks in your community?? Get some fresh air!

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Even at the high school level, swimmers swim at least 5 days a week. Plus, they swim for miles upon miles. The way you say "maybe 1-2 times per week" makes me think that you're not too serious about it - but you have a private coach??

Personally, I could never see the point of lifting weights just to have larger muscles than you need. I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with me though. If you are active, you should be able to develop all the muscles you need. There are some exceptions, of course - athletes who need to strength train, i.e. football linemen. I'm just one of those people who could never see the point of joining a gym - especially the people who go there to walk on treadmills?! There are no streets or sidewalks in your community?? Get some fresh air!

The first three sentences...okay. Then it's like you inhaled some crack before the composing the next paragraph.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
You aren't going to add mass by swimming. If anything, that is one that that swimmers try to avoid because it slows them doing in the water.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Weight lifting is one of the most efficient ways of maintaining bone density and preventing muscle atrophy. You don't have to lift for mass.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I'm guessing you are a teenage male. Typically that is the time where you have a very high metabolism and are quite thin...that's beside the point.

You will not get big just swimming. Swimming is a great exercise for cardio and for muscles b/c you work your whole body. You want to get big? You need to eat 5-6 times a day for AT LEAST 3500 calories, more if you swim a lot. If you are swimming a lot and your primary goal is to gain muscle then you can probably handle 4000 calories a day. 200+ grams of protein. Which means you'll need protein shakes. Go but a 10lb sack of the stuff for $55 and drink 2-3 of those a day.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
You get lots of muscles from swimming.
My friend who is an intense speed swimmer is stronger than many football players at my school.
You will NOT get cut though. You need to do bodybuilding to sculpt your body to look more defined.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
On DIET: I've already done the diet/gym thing and I have a lot of information about proper nutrition... I'm aware of how many calories I'll need to take in. I'd like to focus on swimming in this thread.

On SWIMMING: I said I'd like to increase to 4-5 times per week, to whoever called me "not serious." I don't want to be an Olympic athlete, I just want to be a decent swimmer. I think 4-5 times per week is pretty darn good for that goal. In my experience with other athletic skills, nothing beats a private instructor to pinpoint areas that need work.

Let's consider Michael Phelps... Text

(And this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be difficult)

Do you think he achieved that build through his crazy SWIMMING training schedule, or is that mostly the result of the GYM schedule that we don't hear about? (Let's assume proper nutrition in either case.)

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy
You aren't going to add mass by swimming. If anything, that is one that that swimmers try to avoid because it slows them doing in the water.

Wong.

Swimming will build up some serious muscles, especially in your lats, triceps and shoulders. It's called the simmer's 'V'. Stroke is VERY important in swimming, just going in there and doing a stroke won't do much. You have to concentrate on the movement no matter how tired you get. Also, 2 days a week won't cut it either you might as well start jogging. You need to do it at least 5 days a week for at least 2 hours. Also make sure you're using buoys for really building up your upper body.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
TheNinja: "You will not get big just swimming."

Xylitol: "You get lots of muscles from swimming."

Okay, so which one of you should I believe? =)

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: azazyel
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Queasy
You aren't going to add mass by swimming. If anything, that is one that that swimmers try to avoid because it slows them doing in the water.</end quote></div>

Wong.

Swimming will build up some serious muscles, especially in your lats, triceps and shoulders. It's called the simmer's 'V'. Stroke is VERY important in swimming, just going in there and doing a stroke won't do much. You have to concentrate on the movement no matter how tired you get. Also, 2 days a week won't cut it either you might as well start jogging. You need to do it at least 5 days a week for at least 2 hours. Also make sure you're using buoys for really building up your upper body.

Okay, so can you recommend particular things I should do in my swimming to build muscles?

Buoys, sure... what about things like fist gloves, fins, etc, since they increase resistance?

And I guess working muscles to failure is equivalent to swimming until you can't swim another lap?

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Swimming DOES build muscle. But you know how people call them swimmer's muscles? They're supposed to be long and lean. If you're looking for size and bulkiness like a bodybuilder, you're not going to find it swimming.

And Michael Phelps never lifted before the 04 Olympics. You can look that one up.... it's verifiable.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: azazyel
You aren't going to add mass by swimming. If anything, that is one that that swimmers try to avoid because it slows them doing in the water.</end quote></div>

Wong.

.</end quote></div>

Okay, so can you recommend particular things I should do in my swimming to build muscles?

Buoys, sure... what about things like fist gloves, fins, etc, since they increase resistance?

And I guess working muscles to failure is equivalent to swimming until you can't swim another lap?

Forget the gloves and the fins. What kind of workout does your instructor give you? Do you sweat during the workout.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Wong.

You're not going to build a football player or a "normal" athletes body by just swimming alone. Weight training should be used in addition to whatever sport you're in to help improve performance. Case in point, Michael Phelps over the past 6 months to a year has started a weight training program and has increased muscle mass by about 25lbs.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Wong.

.</end quote></div>

You're not going to build a football player or a "normal" athletes body by just swimming alone. Weight training should be used in addition to whatever sport you're in to help improve performance. Case in point, Michael Phelps over the past 6 months to a year has started a weight training program and has increased muscle mass by about 25lbs.

No, you're going to get a simmer's body aka the swimmer's 'V'. Wide shoulders, big lats and define chest while keeping a slim waist and lean legs.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
I think the key point here is that I LIKE being lean, and I do NOT want a bodybuilder's body.

I want some incremental mass and muscle definition. Some people here are saying I can get that with swimming, some people are saying I can't.

My swim workouts are usually an hour (I know people do two hours... with my endurance as it is right now, that's not really possible yet.)

I do all four strokes and various drills including kick only, mixing up kicks and strokes (dolphin with front crawl), one-armed drills, etc.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Wong.

.</end quote></div>

You're not going to build a football player or a "normal" athletes body by just swimming alone. Weight training should be used in addition to whatever sport you're in to help improve performance. Case in point, Michael Phelps over the past 6 months to a year has started a weight training program and has increased muscle mass by about 25lbs.</end quote></div>

No, you're going to get a simmer's body aka the swimmer's 'V'. Wide shoulders, big lats and define chest while keeping a slim waist and lean legs.

Right, and he wants to build muscle mass. He's not going to do it proportionally by swimming. Wants to keep in shape? Sure. For his goals weight lifting is a far better choice.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My wife has an awesome stomach from her 9 years of swimming when she was growing up.

It really tones your abs and obliques when you have proper form. Between swimming and running, you can get in shape pretty fast. Treading water alone for 3-5 mins at a time does amazing things for your heart.

Jun 19, 2004
Lift weights in the water.....two birds with one stone ;)

Swimming will help you increase somewhat in mass, but not like you're thinking with lifting. Like someone else here said, it's more lean/long muscle.

I don't see how a combination of both will hurt you.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
I really want to pick up swimming after I graduate. I don't have a clue though about proper form and such.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Lift weights in the water.....two birds with one stone ;)

Swimming will help you increase somewhat in mass, but not like you're thinking with lifting. Like someone else here said, it's more lean/long muscle.

I don't see how a combination of both will hurt you.

It won't hurt me, I just don't have the time for swimming 5 times a week and gym 3-4 times per week, plus nutrition, plus career, plus girlfriend... plus my other hobbies!! =)

So given the time constraints, I'm trying to understand what I can expect if I try to make swimming "dual purpose", as in, both improving the skill itself, and building some muscle.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dbk
I really want to pick up swimming after I graduate. I don't have a clue though about proper form and such.</end quote></div>

I started from ZERO (could not swim a single meter) about 8 months ago and haven't looked back.

So if you can already swim and just want to refine your skills, in my mind you have a huge head start.

I had to get over all kinds of things -- breathing, fear of water, fear of deep water, embarassment, being mostly naked in public, etc. etc. etc.

Now, finally, I have my basic four strokes, drills, dives, and all of that emotional crap out of the way, and I can focus on technique and fitness.

I definitely think it's one of the hardest sports I've tried. "Everybody can swim", I always thought -- I didn't know that the word "poorly" should be added to the end of that.

The "hard" part is doing it well. I have soooooooo much more respect now for the guys in high school that were on the swim team. =)

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Xylitol
You get lots of muscles from swimming.
My friend who is an intense speed swimmer is stronger than many football players at my school.
You will NOT get cut though. You need to do bodybuilding to sculpt your body to look more defined.</end quote></div>

Have you looked at olympic swimmers? Most are thin and have very low bodyfat, both of which are an advantage in their sport. I'm not saying all swimmers are weak, but I'd be surprised if any of them could put up any heavy weights on the squat, bench, or deadlift.

To build muscle, you need to lift heavy and eat big. To lose fat and become more defined, while holding onto the muscle, you need to lift heavy, and eat in a moderate caloric deficit. Doing tons of cardio, as swimmers do, may get you ripped, but it is not conducive to building muscle.

"Sculpt" and "tone" are BS/myth terms.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Wong.

I suppose it depends on what you define as "serious muscles". For me, "serious" would entail about 225 lbs. at 6', with < 10% bodyfat. I've never seen any swimmer with those stats.