Does Sony make decent computers ?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
My fiancee has had several of their laptops... I've not been a fan. Her newest one won't boot unless you put pressure on the bottom of it with your knee (it's a common problem with that model)

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Gurck
:thumbsdown:

exactly.

they overprice like crazy
if you are picking between them and dell..DEF go for dell
thats if you dont plan on building it yourself or have someone you know build it for you...thats the cheapest option of them all
if you're worried about tech support issues with your do-it-yourself comp in case something happens to it...you have AT...ask your questions here :p

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Zorro
Don't here to much about them here always Dell just curious..

Quite amazing that I could actually decode your words without special codec.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
My Sony Vaio PCGFXA 47 is an excellent computer and is now in it's 3rd year. No complaints here.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I'll say no, but they use to be the only ones that offered the tiny laptops. Now I believe a few others are carrying them, so Sony really has no advantage, unless you want one of their memory stick readers built in I guess.

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
There's a reason Sony's consumer electronics division is in the toilet.

Quality has gone downhill for many years now.

IBM > Toshiba > Everything else in that order...

I'm partial to Apple, though. (I know that makes Gurck feel warm inside).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I hate Sony, but their computers are actually very well built.

However, they are also very overpriced.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
hmm talking about pcs, I need a new desktop.. when do u guys think dell will have another hot deal?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: z0mb13
hmm talking about pcs, I need a new desktop.. when do u guys think dell will have another hot deal?

8 am

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MemberSince97

try posting instead of neffing.....

from what i know and have heard they have decent desktops and good laptops especially for media but both are highly over prices

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Ive still got a Sony monitor from 1999. Still works great. Never had a Sony computer, so I'm not sure how they are.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Kipper
There's a reason Sony's consumer electronics division is in the toilet.

Quality has gone downhill for many years now.

IBM > Toshiba > Everything else in that order...

I'm partial to Apple, though. (I know that makes Gurck feel warm inside).

Well, you agreed with me on Sony so I'll let it slide ;)

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I've had a couple Sony notebooks, and they keep running with no problems. I always reload the OS so there is no software bloat, but you get that with any prebuilt computer.

I have seen friends Dell notebooks and they are always having problems. Keys falling off the keyboard, hard drives failing, etc. Not saying all Dell's are bad, but that is my personal experience.

Yes, a Sony is more expensive, but I feel it is worth it as far as notebooks go.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
No. Sony computers suck.

My friend bought a new VAIO recently and the thing made me vomit. It popped up an error as soon as I tried to make the stupid recovery discs it kept reminding me about and never worked again. He wanted to install a hard drive, but it was IDE and there's only convenient access for SATA, so you pretty much have to stick it in an upper drive bay (the case is in two parts) and there's absolutely no room to put mounting rails in.

Just in the past month he left the computer for about 10 minutes and came back to a black screen and smoke coming out of his PSU.

Maybe he's just had bad luck, but the idiotic case design alone is enough to make me never, ever buy one. Fvcking horrible. The thing runs slow anyway and it was overpriced. Oh yeah, 19" LCD with no digital input: Analog only.

I tried to nudge him in Dell's direction, but oh well.