does somebody make an adapter like this?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
PC Card/PCMCIA card to USB adapter

so that i can use a PC Card/PCMCIA card (wireless sprint 3g modem) on a desktop PC

this adapter plugs into the USB port of my desktop and then i plug the PC Card/PCMCIA card into it

i can't find one

i thought they used to make these

i don't need a MEMORY card reader, there are billions of those, not what i am looking for
i don't want a PCI version, i want one that uses USB

thank you

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Im not sure about USB ones but I have seen adapter bays that install and connect to your ide controllers -- basically adds a pcmcia slot to your desktop

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
I have a PCMCIA <-> Printer cable so Im sure they should have a USB, or you could get a Printer <-> USB to add on to it.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: djNickb
Im not sure about USB ones but I have seen adapter bays that install and connect to your ide controllers -- basically adds a pcmcia slot to your desktop

that would work, any ideas on websites to search? or search strings to use?

thanks, that is what i want, a pcmcia slot on my desktop

selene

Nov 3, 2003
u want a free set (shipping not included, ~ 5.00) ? I have it in black, controller + 5.25 drive bay for 2 pcmcia cards + cables only if you can't find the ide version

PM Me for pics, ill show u tomorrow

selene

Nov 3, 2003

U might have some problem.. it looks like the IDE version may only read drives..

http://www.amtron.com/reader/iia.htm

NOTE: This card reader only support flash memory cards. *** Please DO NOT order this card drive if you intend to use it for Modem card, Ethernet/LAN card, SRAM card, linear flash card,... etc.***. Please order our PCI interface card reader/writer for Modem card, Ethernet/LAN card, Linear Flash card, SRAM card, ... etc.

I believe for modem and such, you need a controller for it.

PCI reader

EDIT: I guess you dont want to waste a slot ? If you dont care about slot, you can use this
Slot version

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Here's a discountinued one.

Actually, that's a flash reader.. but I think something similar to that would work

(A flash reader that has a PC Card slot)

because you can plug the modem into the PC Card slot instead of the flash adapter (?)

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
There's PCI ones that are used for wireless cards. You have to insert the card in the back of your computer though.