Does Sirius Radio sound like Sirius online?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I signed up for the Sirius Satellite trial online and listened to it over the Internet. It has a very "canned" sound to it...is the satellite radio signal the same way, or is that just the way the Internet version sounds?

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
i listen online and also in car. i definitely notice a little compression on certain types of music (like rap, with deep bass and lots of lyrics). but on rock / pop stuff it sounds pretty good.

definitely not quite cd quality as claimed though

Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: sohcrates
i listen online and also in car. i definitely notice a little compression on certain types of music (like rap, with deep bass and lots of lyrics). but on rock / pop stuff it sounds pretty good.

Do you have a direct connection or do you use an FM transmitter?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

I just got out of Rhapsody...I really liked the concept but so many songs were buy-only. Plus the "variety" is still of my own choosing, so even with a ton of songs it still tended to get old after awhile. Sirius is appealing because of the advertised quality and variety of songs/stations. I'm just not sure I want to invest in the hardware only to find out I don't like it, you know?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
direct connection to aux cd changer input in back

And what? Mines a fiber optic connection, but it still isn't CD quality, and it still has tinny sound to it at times. There's obvious compression on it.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
I signed up for the Sirius Satellite trial online and listened to it over the Internet. It has a very "canned" sound to it...is the satellite radio signal the same way, or is that just the way the Internet version sounds?

internet streams at only 32kbs. through a receiver is near cd quality (IE: 192kbs)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: austin316

internet streams at only 32kbs. through a receiver is near cd quality (IE: 192kbs)

Not even close.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'd imagine that the Premium Internet stream sounds as good as the radio, but the Standard one certainly does not.

By the way... Skip the FM transmitter and find a way to hardwire your Sirius receiver to your stereo. The FM transmitter on my Sirius head unit sounds like crap.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: shortspanishguy
My SQ is fantastic. Especially when a broad is on the sybian.

Hmm.. is that on Playboy radio, or Howard Stern?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hip Hop stations did it as well. Some of them get a little raunchy.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Sounds pretty good in my car IMO. I have a Pioneer HU with the Pioneer Sirius box.

I love it!

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Sounds great in my car, directly connected. The internet streaming audio sounds a lot different

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: austin316

Not even close.

confirmed. austin316 must have terrible ears.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Online streams are two variants; 32kbps, and 128kbps ($3/mo extra)

The streams in the car are much better than the online 32kbps stream, but are not cd quality. I have a fairly good sound system in my car and listen to Sirius all the time. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but a CD has much higher fidelity. Keep in mind as well, some stations sound better than others.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
Online streams are two variants; 32kbps, and 128kbps ($3/mo extra)

The streams in the car are much better than the online 32kbps stream, but are not cd quality. I have a fairly good sound system in my car and listen to Sirius all the time. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but a CD has much higher fidelity. Keep in mind as well, some stations sound better than others.

That about sums it up. Sirius does sound better than most FM stations, but is not nearly as good as a CD. Some stations can sound a bit muddled, but at least there isn't any static.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Its not going to sound great but to me its acceptable. I listen mostly to it in the car.

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I work at a Radioshack, and we sell those. We play them for people when they want to hear them; they sound great.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I pretty much only listen to talk radio, which sounds excellent, but the music stations sound pretty damn good too. I'd recommend it over XM any day. Boo Clear Channel.