Does satelilte radio work under bridges/overpasses, during rain storms, cloudy days, roads with lots of trees, etc..

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
I heard that it cuts out when driving under an overpass on the highway.. is that true?

Sure would be annoying if I lost the signal every mile when driving down a highway..

What about during rainstorms and country roads with lots of trees?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
The only time my XM goes out is in the garage and sometime in various spots where the signal is weak between the points where the signal is sent out. Not in the rain or below trees.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo
I heard that it cuts out when driving under an overpass on the highway.. is that true?

Sure would be annoying if I lost the signal every mile when driving down a highway..

What about during rainstorms and country roads with lots of trees?

Never had a problem with Sirius while driving in the rain or under overpasses. Trees were not a problem, however, I did notice some cut out problems while driving in downtown Houston.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
XM frequently cut out at the store I used to work at during storms. (Don't know of the reception strength of vehicle based units though)

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
xm has a little buffer built into the receivers so you don't lose signal instantly, but i have lost it in specific areas where the signal is weak..or in parking garages.

never had a problem in rain or snow though

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
All satellite radio will cut out when something is blocking a signal (tall building, huge mountain, overpass) , but you have to be under it for more than 5 seconds, because there is a buffer.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
My Sirius cuts out when there are any metallic objects placed over the antenna, that includes bridges. I've used it during a blizzard and when atleast one foot of snow was on my car. Plastic, glass and non metals dont affect it. If you decide to paint your antenna with metallic paint...you guessed it... it'll stop working.

Sirius also has a buffer, but it can be erratic at times. The signal loss is not something that needs to be adjusted or anything like that. If anything it's like when your cd player skips and comes back a second or two later. Though it is pretty inrequent.

Get satellite radio, and you will not regret it.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
All satellite radio will cut out when something is blocking a signal (tall building, huge mountain, overpass) , but you have to be under it for more than 5 seconds, because there is a buffer.

Not true about the 5 seconds. I've passed overpassed sometimes and it still suts out, or blips. It only does this sometimes though and can be rather inconsistent.

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: TubStain
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

Not true about the 5 seconds. I've passed overpassed sometimes and it still suts out, or blips. It only does this sometimes though and can be rather inconsistent.

I have XM and don't know about the 5 second thing, but there is buffering.

As for blocking the signal, if you are next to a big building then my signal does cut out. Going under overpasses for the most part doesn't affect the radio for me. Now, if I go through a tunnel, then yes my signal cuts out. I have also went under a couple areas where a couple overpasses meet at once and that will cut the signal out for a second or two.

Still, these cut outs are very very rare. I drove from Grand Rapids, MI to Detroit and didn't get a single cut out until I went through the tunnel on the way to Joe Louis Arena. Only got one on the way back. That is awesome!

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
In my experience, satellite radios do some pretty fcuking amazing things. For instance, I was in Vegas, and I was in an underground parking structure (Fashion Show Mall), and Sirius works like a charm. But sometimes, when I'm just driving down the street, near a tree, the signal cuts off. There's a couple of spots on the highway that the signal would drop off also, with nothing above to interfere with the signals. I have since gave up trying to figure them out.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone has the Roadie with the FM adapter? I want something portable, to take inside the home & office, otherwise it is not worth for me.

I think the SkyFi is just too big. The same for that Sirius receiver that was free w/ 1yr contract. I almost went for that one.