Does Ryzen offer a smoother gaming experience?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
I wish they would test more MMO's. I see a huge difference in smoothness with my 1700 vs my 2500k. In BDO I get 10-15 more average frames in town. In wow its 60 everywhere. This is all while at 4k.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I would bet that if there is any real notable differences between the two in smoothness, it's going to vary from game to game.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I wish they would test more MMO's. I see a huge difference in smoothness with my 1700 vs my 2500k. In BDO I get 10-15 more average frames in town. In wow its 60 everywhere. This is all while at 4k.

Tera plays like ass on my R7 1800x.

But then Tera plays like ass on everything.

GG 2 thread engine.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Did you even watch the video? The Intel systems had problems and hitching. The only issue mentioned on the Ryzen was pop-in in GTA5 and that's not a CPU issue. It's also weird they mentioned the issue on Intel and then decided it's not big deal. Hitching is part of "smoothness". The second caveat is that 3 people is a small sample size. The amount of reviewers that have mentioned smoothness is greater than in this video.

Quotes referring to the intel systems.

"System 1 was noticeably bad. There was a lot of hanging up and it actually affected the gameplay."

"Minor? Ugh... would it stop me from playing GTA V? Probably not. But compared to the other systems, it was noticeably different."

And then the contradictory conclusion:

"It's as we expected, we were able to tell very little difference. The idea that these systems are noticeably better or smoother, was not really the case."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another instance you can clearly see the i7 is massively stuttering in gameplay.

The actual comparison starts @ 5:30.

Slow the video down to half speed, and go to @6:16. You can see the game hang for a considerable amount of time. That one image is just frozen on the screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this Hardware Unboxed video he noted Intel system periodically stutters, not only in GTA V, also in Watch Dogs 2 and BF1. Very smooth on Ryzen in these games.

Last edited:

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I think a fair and balanced statement would be; 7700k offers faster maximums and average frame rates than ryzen in majority of games, ryzen offers competitive minimums (1% and 0.1% lows) whilst being more stable and smoother.

The question is, does this apply to ryzen specifically or does it apply to intel 8 cores vs 4 cores?

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I think a fair and balanced statement would be; 7700k offers faster maximums and average frame rates than ryzen in majority of games, ryzen offers competitive minimums (1% and 0.1% lows) whilst being more stable and smoother.

The question is, does this apply to ryzen specifically or does it apply to intel 8 cores vs 4 cores?
Well one of the systems that Wendell tested was a 5960x, and they said they noticed similar stuttering issues.

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Now that it's been a month since last post, have people done more testing/comparison with regards to smoothness?

Regarding GTA5; I have always noticed some small hiccups. Nothing bad really, just slightly annoying. I never really knew what caused it though. That's partly why all this "Ryzen smoothness" talk caught my attention. I'm seriously considering going all-in and getting the 1700X, some G.Skill Flare RAM and a ROG Crosshair mobo.

I see that Coffee Lake will be coming in August. That will have 6 cores, right? Do you think that will affect smoothness in games, or is it just quesswork at this point?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Well since i've had my Ryzen cpu i've noticed stutter 3 whole times.

Once was after i'd alt tabbed in a game that didn't like alt tabbing.

Once was running a lot of chrome tabs, photoshop AND a game at the same time and alt-tabbing between each.

And once may have been a genuine stutter! But my gpu is dying so it could be that... so...

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Now that it's been a month since last post, have people done more testing/comparison with regards to smoothness?

Regarding GTA5; I have always noticed some small hiccups. Nothing bad really, just slightly annoying. I never really knew what caused it though. That's partly why all this "Ryzen smoothness" talk caught my attention. I'm seriously considering going all-in and getting the 1700X, some G.Skill Flare RAM and a ROG Crosshair mobo.

I see that Coffee Lake will be coming in August. That will have 6 cores, right? Do you think that will affect smoothness in games, or is it just quesswork at this point?
If you care about smoothness in GTA 5 in particular, have a look at this video. Quite informative.