Does POTUS have legal authority to wage war in Syria absent congressional approval?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does POTUS have legal authority to wage war in Syria absent congressional approval?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Ignores communication with French president and reasons for NATO getting involved which do not include humanitarian reasons to post a fluff opinion piece about one of the actors in this deadly charade.

Why the hell would you think anybody cares what this authors opinion is about Blumenthal?

You realize both articles were drawing from sid's emails and the accusations came from Sid himself?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Dude, you said the Republicans blocked him, not that he was smart for not going in. Had you not said the first false part, I would not have said you were wrong.

So you agree obama made the right decision based on the actions of the gop.

Good job fuck face.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So you agree obama made the right decision based on the actions of the gop.

Good job fuck face.

No. Obama made what is likely the right decision not to go in, but it had nothing to do with the GOP. The GOP did not stop him, and his decision was based on other more important things. So your original statement that the GOP stopped him is still wrong.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It had everything to do with the gop. You even admited as such.

You are autistic aren’t you?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It had everything to do with the gop. You even admited as such.

You are autistic aren’t you?

No. The GOP did not have the ability to stop him. They voted against what was effectively him asking, but it was not needed if he wanted to engage. So, just because I believe he was right to not go in, does not change that your statement that the GOP stopped him is wrong. The GOP did not stop him, he stopped himself.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Not needed for the first 60 days. You keep wrapping your brain around the idea that if he is revoked from acting longer then 60 days then that’s not stopping him because he can still act for 60 days. Something like military action doesn’t work like this.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Not needed for the first 60 days. You keep wrapping your brain around the idea that if he is revoked from acting longer then 60 days then that’s not stopping him because he can still act for 60 days. Something like military action doesn’t work like this.

You are trying to go in circles.

Your statement that the GOP stopped him is wrong. He had 60 days to act, and another 30 to withdraw. People who were part of the decision and discussion have said that Obama did not want to go in, and was looking for an excuse to not go.

So again, your statement is wrong. Obama owns the decision, even if its the right decision in the long run.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Wasn't it because the British refused to allow Cameron to involve himself with yet another case of American aggression? It helps, image wise, otherwise you wouldn't have the proud nation of the federated states of micronesia declaring their support for previous aggression. US hegemony isn't legitimate unless it's ostensibly part of a coalition. If the country is insignificant enough, like the solomon islands, then you can just say they support the war even if they don't, but such a claim is more difficult the larger the islands. The UK is still relatively significant, to some people.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You are trying to go in circles.

Your statement that the GOP stopped him is wrong. He had 60 days to act, and another 30 to withdraw. People who were part of the decision and discussion have said that Obama did not want to go in, and was looking for an excuse to not go.

So again, your statement is wrong. Obama owns the decision, even if its the right decision in the long run.

and in your expert opinion 60 days was enough?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the reality is the situation warranted longer then 60 days of engagement and the congress wouldn't go along with it. So instead of doing some half assed thing that wouldn't amount to shit Obama stayed out of it. So the gop blocked the longer engagement thereby putting us in the situation we are in today.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
the reality is the situation warranted longer then 60 days of engagement and the congress wouldn't go along with it. So instead of doing some half assed thing that wouldn't amount to shit Obama stayed out of it. So the gop blocked the longer engagement thereby putting us in the situation we are in today.

You justify it to yourself however you want, but your statement that the GOP blocked him is wrong.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

I clicked your second link and from your article I got this:

Syrian children have been subjected to “unspeakable” suffering in the nearly three years of civil war, with the Government and allied militia responsible for countless killings, maiming and torture, and the opposition for recruiting youngsters for combat and using terror tactics in civilian areas, according to the first United Nations report on the issue.

It notes that during the first two years of the conflict, most killings and maiming of children were attributed to Government forces, but mainly due to increased access to heavy weapons and the use of terror tactics opposition groups increasingly engaged in such acts in 2013.

“Armed opposition groups also engaged in the summary execution of children,” it says, reporting that lack of access, including for security reasons, prevented the UN from systematic documentation.

According to the article you provided. The opposition is engaged in "terror tactics in civilian areas". These are the guys with the good guy sign painted on them. What do I think happens if we aid them in taking power? They will genocide the living shit out of their opponents.

I do not believe this is worth engaging Russia over. I do know that Trump is getting MASSIVE pressure from everybody to engage. If he does engage, which is highly likely, I believe it could become perhaps the biggest disaster in American history involving full on conflict with Russia, Turkey and Iran (very unlikely but possible). It could be a conflict where REAL and consequential numbers of Americans die.

Here is a novel idea. How about presenting the WORLD with incontrovertible evidence that the Syrian government did this and not the rebels? Don't tell the world you have evidence, prove it. I am past ever believing my government on matters like this. Iraq cured me of that.

I will ALWAYS support a UN humanitarian mission to Syria but not this, never this.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Under the commonly used criteria, this appears to pass muster as it's a one time strike and we're out. Whether it's wise is one thing but this isn't a protracted campaign at this time.

Lets do a quick run of the numbers, double the size of the last strike so about 105 tomahawk missiles.... 1.9 million a pop and kazaam,.... nearly 200 million dollars blown up just like that.

Congratulations to Raytheon, your millions of dollars in contributions and lobbying has paid a rich reward again.

It really is a gift that just keeps giving isn't it?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Well, Congressional Republican cucks just let him do it anyways, so who cares about their approval?