Does my laptop need a new screen?

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by talon39, Dec 24, 2012.

1. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

I have a Toshiba Satellite C675 Laptop. Everything on the screen has a strange vertical shadow or ghost.. For example, if I open a window partially minimized, it displays a ghost or shadow extending above and below the window. If I move the window, the ghost follows it..
    I have made a screencast that can be viewed here: http://www.screencast.com/t/gz6ye7rFiqRo
    This seems like the screen is actually getting a bad signal, so I removed the bezel and checked the connections, but the ghost is still there, no change.. I connected an external monitor to see if its the video card.. However the external monitor looks clean. No ghosts or shadows.. So I think it has to be the screen or some problem with the cable between the video board and the screen. Has anyone else seen a problem like this? What do you think is causing it? I dont want to buy a new screen just to have the same problem.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - laptop screen Forum Date
    Laptops with vertical screens? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Sep 5, 2017
    Laptop screen going crazy. Need assessment please SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Sep 3, 2017
    Any suggestions for a laptop with 120Hz screen and nvidia card? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Aug 26, 2017
    Any laptops with matte touch screen yet? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Aug 6, 2017
    Laptop display problem, screen divided in 4 parts SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs May 31, 2017

3. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Not sure what your problem is but I actually have an extra 1600 by 900 17.3" screen if you need it.

My laptop came with a glossy screen which I don't care for so I swapped it out for a matte screen. Nothing wrong with the glossy screen, I just don't prefer it.

4. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

What did your screen come out of? Im not sure the connections will be the same.

This is what I need (if it is the screen).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 talon39, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Acer AS7741G-3647

The new screen came with an extension cable so it would work regardless of if the computer needs a left or right connection.

I didn't need the cable so I have the old glossy screen and the cable available.

[​IMG]

#4 lakedude, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  6. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Figure out if you need it before we go any further.

7. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

That's a good question.. Nobody has seen this kind of problem before. I tried safe mode to rule out the drivers.. Same problem in safe mode.. Send me a private message with your contact info, if I need it, I will let you know. The connection appears to be in the right place..

8. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

You might try it with an external monitor if possible. If the error transfers there, it is not likely to be a screen problem.

9. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

OP already did that:

10. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Hi Lakedude.. Looks like I will need a new screen.. I am unable to send private messages due to my low post count.. Can you send me a private message with your contact info, and how much you need to get for that screen?

11. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Sure!

I don't need anything except maybe you cover shipping. It will take a couple days for me to find it and ship it (I ain't NewEgg).

12. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Thanks alot.. Youre a lifesaver!

13. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Did you get my email lakedude? I sent it a few days ago.

14. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Yeah, check your PM

Sent display today USPS Priority Mail.

15. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Thanks.. I sent a reply via email (still cant reply to PMs). Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if that fixes it.. Even if this doesnt fix it, at least I can rule out the display. It has to be either the display or the inverter.

16. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

You are welcome.

It is not the inverter BTW.

An inverter is basically just a ballast for fluorescent backlights. When an inverter goes bad the screen goes dark. You might be able to see a little going on with just the right lighting but the screen will be very dark.

The screen I sent has LED lighting (not fluorescent) so it does not have an inverter.

I assume your old screen was LED as well?

17. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Im new to this, but I thought I saw in inverter board when I had it open, but I could be wrong. I learned about the inverter after I put it back together.. But I thought I remember a long narrow board near the base with a separate connection.

18. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

That does sound like an inverter board...

However the part that comes up when you type in Toshiba C675 is LED backlit just like the one I sent.

Well we will know in a couple days if it works.

Sorry if it does not help you.

#17 lakedude, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  19. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

Dont worry about it. I'm truly grateful for your help. I'll post some pictures of the process. Maybe it can help somebody else..

20. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Does it works? Delivery confirmation is showing that the package is delivered...

21. talon39

talon39 Junior Member

The screen arrived today. I took a few pictures of the replacement process and results.
    Here is the problem. Display has a washed out look. There are vertical shadows around the icons and windows.

[​IMG]

Here's the new screen. Looks like it will fit. :)

[​IMG]

Start by removing the battery.. Then Remove the bezel.. Pretty simple.. Just remove the little caps over the screws. Remove the screws and carefully pop off the bezel. Once the bezel is off, remove the screen. There were 6 small screws holding the old screen in place (3 on each side of the bracket).

[​IMG]

Comparing the old screen (top) to the new screen (bottom). The connectors are the same.

[​IMG]

Attaching the cable is pretty simple.. Just make sure its seated securely.

[​IMG]

Problem solved!! Display looks perfect!!

[​IMG]

22. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

23. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

You are welcome. Glad it worked out.