Does Mac OS have Professional version?

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
I am thinking of getting a a new laptop for personal home use. First I looked at Apple offerings (new Mac Book Pro) and finally ruled that out because of zero upgradeability of memory or hard drive. Then I looked at the new Windows laptops and most of them come with Windows Home version even for ones that cost close to $1000. I was not sure if Mac also has different releases of their OS like Home, Professional, Ultimate etc. Can any one confirm?

Thanks

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just one OSX. But a lot of professionals tend to use Macs but likely because the interface is more classically inline with professional needs? Both seem to have about the same types of professional software but you should be able to find laptop options for the Pro version of Windows if you customize your own. Most OEM's seem to offer customization options.

I have a MBP btw, OSX seems similarly inline with Windows home aside from that it includes Pages, iMovie..etc for free.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Nope, just the one version. It's not feature-crippled like Windows - all the server-grade guts are in there, even if you need to use a CLI to get at them. (And even if the hardware isn't up to par.)

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
Not really an OS question, but what is Pro in MacBook Pro? What makes it Pro compared to Mac Book Air?

Feb 25, 2011
Not really an OS question, but what is Pro in MacBook Pro? What makes it Pro compared to Mac Book Air?

Bigger screen. (MBA: 11/13", MBP: 13/15"). Retina Display (compared to the Air, not the Macbook 12"). Quad core CPU in the 15" model. More ports.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is very easy to add to a MAC Win 7 or Win 10 Pro in Bootcamp parturition and Enjoy One laptop with OSX and Win 10 Pro.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

In general Window can do everything that OSX Does. But there is a lot of professional software that is available for Window and not existing in OSX.

:cool:

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Core i7 goodness. I'm guessing they call it pro because it's powerful enough to run professional applications like move/photo editing. Though mine could really use more ram. 8 gigs isn't enough and sometimes Gimp will gimp out on me.