Question Does it work ?

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
Laptop is ASUS X509FA. It arrives with a WD SN520 PCIE X2 SSD. Does a Samsung 970 PRO PCIE X4 lane ssd work in this laptop or any PCIE x4 lane ssd. Thankyou very much.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
HI, can you please tell me how do I check the specs of the laptop motherboard?
have you done any research yourself? or expect everyone here to just do your work for you? I actually found the answer, but i'll let you have a go at it.

Don't be an unpleasant person. This is a place where people ask for help.
If you don't want to help the guy, don't post in the thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
What is your use case that you NEED PCIe x4 write speed? I mean you aren't likely to be able to sustain that write speed for very long anyways. If you want a Samsung 970 Pro SSD, just get one and see if it starts running at PCIe x4. You have a 50/50 chance. Worst case you will get ~1.8GB/sec write speeds (peak, sequential) which isn't exactly slow...

I mean I doubt you have a use case that requires pciex4 write bandwidth, and if you really do then you should not have bought a bottom of the barrel laptop.

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
have you done any research yourself? or expect everyone here to just do your work for you? I actually found the answer, but i'll let you have a go at it.
I've done research myself, called and asked in emails. Either people doesn't know it or willing not to share. Then again whats the purpose of these forums then

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
What is your use case that you NEED PCIe x4 write speed? I mean you aren't likely to be able to sustain that write speed for very long anyways. If you want a Samsung 970 Pro SSD, just get one and see if it starts running at PCIe x4. You have a 50/50 chance. Worst case you will get ~1.8GB/sec write speeds (peak, sequential) which isn't exactly slow...

I mean I doubt you have a use case that requires pciex4 write bandwidth, and if you really do then you should not have bought a bottom of the barrel laptop.
I need to make multiple copies of large files and be able to transfer them to people. The PCIE x4 lane ssd would be a HUGE boost.

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
The Samsung T7 (the faster of the two) has a quoted transfer speed of 1,050MB/sec -- that is roughly half of what PCIe x2 can do.
Yes, but still I still need to able to have the large copies of files ready. Even though the transfer speed to the external portable drives are much lower than PCIE x2, I still need to have the multiple copies of large files ready. The slow transfer speed will be offsetted by the fast copy-making. I know my situation is a bit unusual. Thankyou for understanding.

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
For however you’re treating me right now, karma will get you. I can’t be the only one that’s just asking questions about stuff that you people may easily know already. You are a disgrace to this forum

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
For however you’re treating me right now, karma will get you. I can’t be the only one that’s just asking questions about stuff that you people may easily know already. You are a disgrace to this forum
screw you don't threaten me with karma. now i hope karma will get you back. i hope karma gets your whole family and all your friends have no karma.

cj274

Banned
Mar 1, 2020
screw you don't threaten me with karma. now i hope karma will get you back. i hope karma gets your whole family and all your friends have no karma.
I did nothing wrong. Karma only helps victims. You started this. Therefore whatever you say doesn’t apply. Look how you mention my whole family. You are a petty person. I never said anything about your family

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok, nothing to see here, move along folks.

As for the topic at hand, I don't have a good answer other than to purchase a fast NVMe drive and test it. Even at X2, it should still be quite faster than the OEM drive it comes with. If you still need more speed than X2, assuming it is limited to that, you may have to get another laptop if it is super important to you. This is assuming you already have the laptop. If you are still looking for the laptop, you may want to consider other options that guarantee the 4 lanes. Hope this helps a bit.