Does it really take over $180 to upgrade past an HD6850?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
Sigh, you don't get it. I'm using cost as an example of a proposed solution that you threw to the curb. So that removes any inclination to consider helping you further. You blindly said that they are illegal to resell (WRONG) and that you just plain didn't want to do it anyway (LAZY). So, if that's your ATTITUDE, then forget any further assistance. You threw away the one good solution even though the others may have not been something that you could have used.

Get it now?
You heard it here first folks, not wanting a noisy video card means I'm lazy! :rolleyes:
I don't need your 'help', all you've done is troll and threadcrap, so feel free to go, mkay?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You heard it here first folks, not wanting a noisy video card means I'm lazy! :rolleyes:
I don't need your 'help', all you've done is troll and threadcrap, so feel free to go, mkay?

Ok I understand I'm not helping your VC problem but that doesn't mean I'm not trying to identify and correct another problem. Given your summary you still don't get it, I hope you do some day and I'm not just saying that.

GL with your search.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Ok so you need a quiet card; and fits in a certain power slot.....7850 looks to be the card; but cost up front is a little bit of an issue.

You say you've mined but power got to much? Do you game a lot? cause that would also effect your power slot the same where mining does; but you can control mining how much it uses compaired to game....

Now on the upfront cost; is it more of a matter principle? Or is the cost an issue? Also you normally recycle your cards; which I do understand but will some hardware be freed up to sell? Also selling of the games if you don't want them is legal and another option :)

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
Ok so you need a quiet card; and fits in a certain power slot.....7850 looks to be the card; but cost up front is a little bit of an issue.

You say you've mined but power got to much? Do you game a lot? cause that would also effect your power slot the same where mining does; but you can control mining how much it uses compaired to game....

Now on the upfront cost; is it more of a matter principle? Or is the cost an issue? Also you normally recycle your cards; which I do understand but will some hardware be freed up to sell? Also selling of the games if you don't want them is legal and another option :)
When I am gaming, I have to turn off other things in the room or the breaker will blow. I found with bitcoin mining I had to adjust several things in the BIOS to cut power use while BTC mining down low enough compared to idling system... (I still OC CPUs via BIOS, old school and multi OS compatible way) and rebooting constantly is just a huge PITA especially if I just want to heat up some leftovers in the microwave. And yes, I actually spent extra money on a power efficient low wattage microwave.

As for selling off other hardware and software, I do that quite often - when I can. I thought the games coming with the vidcard were NFR, which indeed is illegal to resale at least in the USA. The game that came with my current video card was NFR. NFR software and hardware selling has gotten people into huge trouble before, usually with engineering sample processors but MS has fined some individuals for it successfully before, usually companies though. Sure, you can usually get away with it, but I really would rather not take the chance.

The only way I am going to be able to afford this card at all, and I had planned on it already, is resale of some of my stuff. :)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Last edited:

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
It seems to me that the GTX660 is well over my set 'want' price of $150 and over my maxprice of $180, even for the ones which would be quite loud which are almost always cheaper.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
It seems to me that the GTX660 is well over my set 'want' price of $150 and over my maxprice of $180, even for the ones which would be quite loud which are almost always cheaper.

Well then, you're best bet is used. You have to learn to compromise a bit.

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
Well then, you're best bet is used. You have to learn to compromise a bit.
I have been looking on ebay and such for used cards which fit my needs, but to date have not found any from reputable sellers.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I have been looking on ebay and such for used cards which fit my needs, but to date have not found any from reputable sellers.

Look longer. What can we say at this point except have patience, and eventually you will find something that meets your needs.

Last edited: