Does it matter what type of micro usb charging cable I buy?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by aknbad23, Nov 29, 2011.

1. aknbad23

aknbad23 Junior Member

Att Galaxy S2

Mine stopped working. Got Ketchup on the connector. Bestbuy has a Rocketfish for $20. Looks like a ripoff but I need one.

2. vshah

vshah Lifer

they should all be the same. make sure it has 1000mA output for fast charging.

3. aknbad23

aknbad23 Junior Member

4. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

Monster Cable

Their gold-plated connectors, EMI-shielded jackets and oxygen-free braided wires charge the living shit out of your phone.

5. vshah

vshah Lifer

only problem is you have to periodically replace the electron transmission fluid as it does wear out after ~200 charges.

6. MagickMan

MagickMan Diamond Member

Well played. :biggrin:

7. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Typically it doesn't matter, but I've had some really cheap ones that either A) don't provide enough current and thus don't charge the phone or B) fall apart easily.

8. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

This, also, cheap ones are not as bendy/flexible as better ones and break much faster.

9. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Make sure you get one without Ketchup in the connector. :)

10. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

That is way overpriced but I guess you might be in a hurry for one if your phone is close to being dead. If no rush I'd return it and say it's the wrong one. Second thought I think I'd return it anyways just because!

I always buy my cables from monoprice.com as they are reasonably priced and ship pretty quick to me. I'm in CA so I get overnight shipped for cheap. They almost have every cable you'd ever need so you might wanna look around to soften the shipping blow.

Looking at the picture it looks to be this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1030307&p_id=4868&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

For the price I'd say buy a couple and have some spares just in case they don't last that long.

#10 Kenmitch, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. vshah

vshah Lifer

also check amazon if you have prime. you can get one shipped for a few bucks.

12. Chocu1a

Chocu1a Golden Member

I got a $8 cable from my local pc shop. Works as well as the original one. BB is way overpriced. Go to your local pc repair shop.

13. the DRIZZLE

the DRIZZLE Platinum Member

Try cleaning the ketchup off your existing one?

14. aknbad23

aknbad23 Junior Member

I tried that. It was plugged in when it happened. Maybe the vinegar in the ketchup messed it up.

15. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Lol at $10 microusb cables buy the $1 one from amazon, eBay, or monoprice.

16. manly

manly Diamond Member

Doesn't this suggest all cables are not the same?

I was recently reading about the faster charging spec for iPad 2 and Nook Color, and it seems to require a proper cable? Some Android phones differentiate between slower USB standard 500 mA charging vs AC fast charging.

Source:
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3626728&page=5

17. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

USB cables are not all created equal, was looking into USB fast charging on new MB's and how they need BC 1.1 compliant devices. Apparently a lot of people have problems with crappy usb cables not working properly with the xfast usb ports on MB's. I've not been able to discovery exactly why this is, but since I'm getting a MB with Xfast in a month or so I'll be looking for a higher quality cable.

18. Concillian

Concillian Diamond Member

"Modern" USB cables are the same. A "charger" will short the data pins, which allows more than 500mA of current to be transmitted, but this is typically done at the charger, not the USB side.

What broke? The USB cable? The transformer?

A "charger" is typically just a 5v transformer, a plug and a USB port. Output current varies you want something capable of outputting 700mA to 1A. 500 mA is the standard computer USB port output.

If buying a wall --> USB adapter, you can get anything, just double check the output current rating. If it doesn't specify the output current, DO NOT BUY. My parents ended up with a 250ma "charger" that doesn't charge anything because the output current is too low.

There are tons of "genuine" (not really genuine) Samsung / RIM / HTC USB chargers on Amazon for like $5 with free shipping if you have other things to buy to total $25. Any (that have the desired output current rating) will work. I use my wife's old Blackberry charger at home and the samsung charger that came with my phone at work.

#18 Concillian, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  19. s44

s44 Diamond Member

I don't know about the S2, but the S1 models had the quirk that because of the recess/sliding door for the port, micro-USB plugs that had a thick end (like the Monoprice) wouldn't fit all the way into the device unless/until you shaved the plastic off the plug. It would charge/connect, but you'd have to be careful that it didn't slip out.

All Samsung-branded cables will work, though, so I bought this (charger+cable) and this (just cable, $1.56).

20. vshah

vshah Lifer

some devices, like the nook color, come with a non-standard micro-usb connector, which won't work in other devices. but a standard fast-charge micro usb adapter will still charge it fine.