Does it matter if SuperPi is crashing?

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I'm wondering if I need to keep working on this particular project. My goal was to see how low I could set the voltage on my P5Q-E + E8400 at 3Ghz. I've been running Orthos and P95 for a couple of hours with no issues, but SuperPi crashed on a few of the tests. Should I keep working or is Orthos, P95 testing good enough?

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
superpi is more sensitive to memory.....what type of errors or are they actually program crashes?

There are some older versions that didn't work well with the core2duos when they first came out....Make sure you have latest version

I would say you can never overlook any crashes period...that being said it could even be you have faulty memory stick or you memory is set up wrong. Do you run Small FFT in prime or blend?

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
I love to undervolt, I don't rely on stress testing software, I run distributed computing projects in the background and the pc is always on. If it doesn' crash during normal use+dc in the background for half a week, I consider it as stable, if it happens to crash one day I can still raise the vcore 1 step.

What do I care about a stress test if my pcs run stable for my use 24/7 for years?

EDIT: and yes dc is in a sense a stress test too, but less aggressive and more like normal programs you would use every day, not specially designed to "torture" your hardware.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Philippart
I love to undervolt, I don't rely on stress testing software, I run distributed computing projects in the background and the pc is always on. If it doesn' crash during normal use+dc in the background for half a week, I consider it as stable, if it happens to crash one day I can still raise the vcore 1 step.

What do I care about a stress test if my pcs run stable for my use 24/7 for years?

EDIT: and yes dc is in a sense a stress test too, but less aggressive and more like normal programs you would use every day, not specially designed to "torture" your hardware.

Hence why if I use DC to set "stability" of my system I would expect it to run 1-2 weeks without a burp, EEU, whatever....before I flung out the words "its stable"...

On the other hand that is a lot of investment to have it fail 4,5, or 6 days into it. So I run prime95 instead for 24-48 hours, and Memtest for 8-12 hours. It is above the level DC will ever reach with it in normal use , but that is what is great about weeding it out. I have never had a system that was stress tested like I mention above fail in a DC program.

This is the reason why when I set an OC I dont have to 3 months down the line tick it down a notch or raise the vcore a notch. I see this a lot. Those systems or components were iffy in the beginning if that happens, and usually because they lacked stress testing it thoroughly enough.

I also dont overclock my memory....just a rule of mine and it keeps the problems down. In the past I have seen memory good bad much faster then any cpu I have ever oc'd. Memory stable now can be unstable in a few months. I have never seen that with a cpu I have owned.

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
Thanks for the responses. I'm running small FFT now just to test some more. If that runs for a while I'll setup memtest and let that go through the night. I think there might be some issues with the way i have the Memory setup. There are like 30 options in the bios of the P5Q-E for tweaking memory. It's likely that i have some of these set wrong. I'll work on that.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
SuperPi is broken in Vista x64.

Use HyperPi if you want to bench Pi.

As SuperPi/HyperPi are relatively useless for stresstesting, i'd recommend HCI Memtest for testing memory.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: n7
SuperPi is broken in Vista x64.

Use HyperPi if you want to bench Pi.

As SuperPi/HyperPi are relatively useless for stresstesting, i'd recommend HCI Memtest for testing memory.

Well there you go....

I dont run Vista yet so I wouldn't know...but I also dont run superpi since my AMD64 days since it is worthless in anything other then single core cpus...haven't seen that multithreaded version yet...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Duvie
but I also dont run superpi since my AMD64 days since it is worthless in anything other then single core cpus...haven't seen that multithreaded version yet...

Of my limited understanding of the exact mathematics implemented in SuperPi, it is very serial and nothing in the math is really amenable to parallelization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...for_calculating_.CF.80

There are methods of calculating pi that are intrinsically parallelizable, but you need the veritable shitload of processing cores to enable those methods to compute digits of pi as fast as the algorithms in the current crop of single-threaded Pi-fast codes.

IMO this is why the effort to port SuperPi to CUDA turned out to be a doomed effort.

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
ok, so any suggestions for a good DC that I can use? I've decided to ditch pi and work for the betterment of mankind. not that Pi isn't important...though i'm still not sure of the significance of pi to the x place. It seems a bit too abstract for me....but I'm not a theoretical mathmatician...and I'm sure there are A-LOT of you out there ready to type a heated response regarding the significance of pi...but...wait... mmmm pie.....sorry, what was i saying?

so what are some of the good DC's out there for stess?

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
I was wondering what was up...I had my Q9450 @1.1v and Super Pi was crashing in Vista 64. Thanks n7! Calculus teacher is curious what 32 million digits of Pi looks like.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alkalinetaupehat
I was wondering what was up...I had my Q9450 @1.1v and Super Pi was crashing in Vista 64. Thanks n7! Calculus teacher is curious what 32 million digits of Pi looks like.

Sadly superPi doesn't give you the digits, just computes the time the CPU took to calculate Pi to that number of decimal places.

But your calculus teacher doesn't know what it already looks like, so tell him you put the answer here.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Hyonie
superpi does give you the numbers. just open up pi_data.txt and there it is.

Cool! I did not know it could do that. Just checked, the 32 millionth digit is "6".

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: magreen
Give me 10 guesses and I'll tell you any digit of pi you want.

ROFLMAO!!!

Give me "1" guess and I'll tell you the first digit after the decimal.