Question Does HP EX920 512GB NVMe is compatible with ASUS X99 EWS mother board?

areeb647

Jan 9, 2019
which one is better Samsung PM961 512GB or HP EX920 512GB?
I am thinking of buying HP EX920 512GB,
i just want to know if it is compatible with my mother board X99 E WS having 3404 Bios version.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Well, if you have a properly keyed M.2 connector, any M.2 drive work in any PC.

Be aware that you'll need UEFI support (X99 should be good) and either Windows 8.1, 10 or Linux to boot from an NVMe drive. There is a driver for 7, but it's convoluted to install since you'll need to slipstream it.

As for performance, the PM961 is the OEM version of the consumer 960EVO. They're pretty equal.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Some oem do not have warranty.. I would buy a retail unless you confirm there is warranty. EX920 long term reliability isnt out yet, its only been around for 4-5 months.. I am eyeing the 1tb one, it has been on sale for as low as 135 with coupons.. I'm hoping they dont crap out in the next few month as they probably sold tons of it the past few months

areeb647

Jan 9, 2019
Some oem do not have warranty.. I would buy a retail unless you confirm there is warranty. EX920 long term reliability isnt out yet, its only been around for 4-5 months.. I am eyeing the 1tb one, it has been on sale for as low as 135 with coupons.. I'm hoping they dont crap out in the next few month as they probably sold tons of it the past few months
Exactly , the lowest price for Brand New EX920 512GB is only 80$ , that's why i am bit confused , in most of their reviews they are pretty close to the flagship 970 and 960.

areeb647

Jan 9, 2019
Well, if you have a properly keyed M.2 connector, any M.2 drive work in any PC.

Be aware that you'll need UEFI support (X99 should be good) and either Windows 8.1, 10 or Linux to boot from an NVMe drive. There is a driver for 7, but it's convoluted to install since you'll need to slipstream it.

As for performance, the PM961 is the OEM version of the consumer 960EVO. They're pretty equal.
i have been reading a lot of reviews for past 3 to 4 days, the OEM version is good no doubt but many are talking about it configuration and booting issues and also it has no firmware updates and support from samsung. They are not supporting OEM versions, support is only available for retail variants.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
If it is not on the QVL list, there is a good chance it will not work. The bios version is the determining factor.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If it is not on the QVL list, there is a good chance it will not work.

Not really. Any PCIe M.2 drive will work in a properly keyed* M.2 slot. They'll even work in a regular PCIe slot with an adaptor. But the UEFI might not be able to "see" the drive under its storage configuration, but it should show up in the boot menu.

As too boot support you're right. That requires either an option ROM on the drive, or an NVMe driver in the UEFI. Anything newer then Z97/X99 should contain such, on the AMD side things are a bit more variable, AM4 has definite support. Booting Windows from an NVMe drive also requires installing in UEFI mode.

*SATA drives will not work in an M.2 PCIe slot, and an NVMe drive will not work in a SATA slot, unless specified in the motherboard manual. Some boards support both types in the same slot. Not at once obviously.

areeb647

Jan 9, 2019
Thank you so much friends , i bought Samsung PM961 and it's working pretty well with my board , detected in BIOS , no issues with installing windows , giving me good read and write speeds.
The only problem i faced is that in order to install new windows i had to remove my hard drivers except NVMe other wise it was giving me an error "Couldn't install windows on this location" and also make sure when allocating space to your ssd in disk management options select "MBR" disk type not "GPT" , system will not install windows in "GTP" mode , and also remove all hard drives to install window on NVMe SSD.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Thank you so much friends , i bought Samsung PM961 and it's working pretty well with my board , detected in BIOS , no issues with installing windows , giving me good read and write speeds.
The only problem i faced is that in order to install new windows i had to remove my hard drivers except NVMe other wise it was giving me an error "Couldn't install windows on this location" and also make sure when allocating space to your ssd in disk management options select "MBR" disk type not "GPT" , system will not install windows in "GTP" mode , and also remove all hard drives to install window on NVMe SSD.

That isn't an "error" as such. SATA drives always have preference over NVMe drives. If you look in task manager, your SATA drives are listed first, NVMe drive last (disk0, disk1 and so forth).

Booting wise, MBR always takes precedence over GPT under Windows. What has happened was booting Windows in MBR mode, then trying to install on a GPT formatted drive. That wont work, because Windows will try and write an MBR boot record to the GPT drive. Same thing the other way round, Windows trying to write a GPT bootloader on an MBR drive.

diskpart > clean is your friend here. But should be used sparingly, since it'll nuke ("clean" really is an appropriate name for that command) the drive selected, with no way of recovery.

You might have noticed in the UEFI boot menu, that the drive (ODD or USB) used to boot is listed twice, one of which is listed something like "UEFI:", selecting that is the way to install on a GPT drive.

I hope that makes sense, some things are just easier to show then describe. Since you got Windows installed, no reason to worry about it. If it was a laptop, I'd do a reinstall, since power saving on such are highly dependant on UEFI mode.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What windows are you using? I know NVMe drives should be GPT on UEFI mode. Weird if you were able to install on MBR in legacy mode. I did not think that was possible outside of maybe the 950 Pro with its own ROM.