Does Gateway Manufacture Radeon Cards?

bimbamjipjap

Mar 3, 2004
My Radeon 9700 Pro has failed on me, and when I try to use the online warranty site it says that the warranty has expired.

However, when I called ATI to figure out how to just pay for repair (since it is way cheaper than a new one), they told me that my card was still under warranty, but Gateway manufactured it, not ATI. I told him that the card doesn't say Gateway on it anywhere, but the guy just said "We make the chipsets, and then we sell them to Gateway and they make the cards. They usually just sell them inside computers so I bet they don't put any markings on the card"

My card, however, looks exactly like this http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0801/ati04.jpg and http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/ati_radeon9700-128mb/card_back.jpg down to each capacitor, chip, and everything. Even the sticker placement and the colored marker marks on the capacitors are the same.

What is going on? Any ideas?

bimbamjipjap

Mar 3, 2004
I tried to call but any pertinent menu choice asked for my 10 digit system serial number. After I just hit pound, I waited on hold for a few minutes. When he picked up, he was confused that I had not bought the item from gateway. I told him my story, and that I just wanted to know if they manufactured a particular product. He went to ask, came back, and gave me another number. That number had the exact same menu choices as the original number I had called. I'm waiting right now at that sec.ond number but I don't have very high hopes.

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
I dont think so they are an OEM partner, so they dont build their own, they get sent the reference boards and sell those on

The partners who do manufacture them are the onles like Sapphie, PowerColour and ppl like that, who only sell specific hardware stuff, as Gateway also sell prebuilt computers.

But still i could be wrong, im just waiting for someone to prove me wrong :)

bimbamjipjap

Mar 3, 2004
The story was: "I bought it from ebay. My card failed, and I wanted to get it fixed by ATI, but their service department told me that Gateway manufactured it, and thus they would be unable to fix it."

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
How did they determine that Gateway built it? Did you give them a serial number or part number? You can often google part numbers to find our who made a part. I wasn't aware that Gateway actuallly built video cards.