does fractal sell the side panel without the window for the r4

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by ElFenix, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

maybe as a spare part? received a windowed version for birthday. don't like case windows. had one. not my thing. don't really want to pay to ship this one back though.

i've asked fractal already and am waiting for their response, maybe someone here might know quicker though.

thx

2. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

No i don't think they do... Hope I'm wrong

Wouldn't the return shipping for the case be free? Where was it bought?

#2 lehtv, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. dmoney1980

dmoney1980 Platinum Member

4. ElFenix

Super Moderator

i'm guessing newegg. i'm pretty sure they delivered what was ordered. could have been amazon.

5. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

As far as I know, you can only get side-panel "Upgrades" (no window, to windowed).

That said, of the windowed cases, it's one of the nicest, no weird shape, solid, doesn't rattle... the downside is if your board/components are ugly, then it's a window to ugliness.

I was anti-window too until I saw this case... but, I also changed a few of my components to have an over-all black/gray/white color scheme with blue + red lights... so... yeah.

If it's sound-proofing you are after, you won't get much more/less from a solid side-panel unless your CPU fan is a screamer, and all other fans are silent.

6. ElFenix

Super Moderator

it's replacing a p183 and i use cardboard ducts in my case to control airflow, so i don't want to see the inside of it. i also don't like all the status lights on the motherboard.

i guess i'll just flip it to the other side and it'll be up against my desk.

7. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

Why on earth do you use cardboard ducts??? That's not even remotely needed. I'd just not use ducts, and enjoy the view

8. ElFenix

Super Moderator

keep air in my hsf in push/pull and then straight out the back. fans blow air around everywhere. ducting puts it where i want it.

guess i won't need it for the top vent since it's blocked.

9. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

I know what ducts are for. What I was really asking was why do you think they will somehow make any difference one way or another?

10. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

+1 to that... especially if you haven't installed anything in the R4 yet, it's a huge case with so many options, 6 fan vents that are 140mm (7 if you include PSU), I have yet to make any dent at all in temperatures using all sorts of weird configs.

If you have a long graphics card(s) you *might* want to create a ramp of sorts from the front top fan to direct it up + over, but that will still be hidden behind the solid area of the side panel, otherwise ducting is a waste of time in this case (unless you are using direct 140mm tubing like a furnace or something)

If you don't have any 140mm fans, get a couple more (than the 2 it comes with), skip the ducting.

11. ElFenix

Super Moderator

Maybe i won't put any in. still don't want to see the lights.

12. Meremoth

Meremoth Junior Member

Did you ever hear back from them? Do they sell non-windowed side panels for the R4?

Is there really any audible sound difference between the window and non-windowed?

13. aigomorla

aigomorla Cases&Cooling Mod<br>PC Gaming Mod<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Elf... construction paper...tape over it.. :D

Use metalic paper and u can get bling!!!

No but being serious.... u can tint the window.. or replace the acrylic with a non transparent one.