Does flash hang firefox for anyone else? Like... all the time?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm getting really fucking annoyed. I have to kill firefox in the task manager about 10+ times a day. It used to be that I had to kill the pluginextension.exe thing, but I turned that ability off... so now I have to kill the firefox one instead.

WtfdoIdo

Last edited by a moderator:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I assume you've done routine troubleshooting? The first step in fixing something is doing something.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
update ff off of 3.6

I'm already in 10+. It did this in FF 3.6 and now in 10+.

I've updated flash. I've removed flash and put it back in. It just hangs at random when flash happens to be in a page. It's fucking annoying. It does it when I view youtube videos sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Does it always do it at the same sites?

At one point I was unable to go to liveleak.com or failblog.org (out of the ones I can remember). As soon as a video started loading, my whole browser would lock up and I had to force quit. It does not do it anymore though. When it did, it was not just firefox either, any browser. So it was a flash thing more than a browser thing.

Oct 25, 2006
No.

SILVERLIGHT is the spawn of the devil. Flash almost never gives me problems, silverlight crashes on me constantly.

Oct 20, 2005
In before the "suggest every possible solution to Trident which he promptly rejects, makes up an excuse why he can't do it, or replies saying it doesn't fix his problem".

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
no, but the latest update screwed my fonts into something unreadable.

so I moved on to Chrome.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Yeah firefox does hang sometimes on flash sites.

You could export your bookmarks, uninstall firefox, delete your firefox profile, then reinstall and reimport you bookmarks.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I find that Firefox gets to a ridiculously awful state after maybe 3-4 days of being opened. The last time I had to close and reopen Firefox, it was simply so laggy that the entire browser was freezing up for seconds at a time. Typically, the indicator is that Flash videos will have small pauses ever so often, and then it progressively gets worse.

When I closed Firefox the other day, it was using 1.8GB of memory with I believe... 25 tabs?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find that Firefox gets to a ridiculously awful state after maybe 3-4 days of being opened. The last time I had to close and reopen Firefox, it was simply so laggy that the entire browser was freezing up for seconds at a time. Typically, the indicator is that Flash videos will have small pauses ever so often, and then it progressively gets worse.

When I closed Firefox the other day, it was using 1.8GB of memory with I believe... 25 tabs?

But firefox does not have a memory leak!

lol

One of these days, maybe they'll actually fix it.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Very seldom ever have problems with FF on my machine, and I've been running the Nightly alphas (presently at v13.0 Alpha 1) for a quite a few months now. Heck, even the infamous memory leaks haven't been very noticeable since back several releases -- leaving FF running for days at a time on my machine doesn't consume any more memory than does Chrome or IE9 with the same tabs open.

OP, have you tried to disable hardware acceleration in the Advanced Settings menu under Tools and Options? That is one feature I definitely see issues with from time to time (though more due to nVidia's video drivers crashing than anything else). I also agree with the advice about uninstalling and deleting your profile, then reinstalling. Corrupted FF profiles can cause all sorts of weird issues, and simply dropping a version upgrade on top of a corrupted profile won't solve anything.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
video card is failing, or PSU is weak.

Try disabling "Hardware acceleration" in Flash Player.

May 11, 2008
I'm already in 10+. It did this in FF 3.6 and now in 10+.

I've updated flash. I've removed flash and put it back in. It just hangs at random when flash happens to be in a page. It's fucking annoying. It does it when I view youtube videos sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

I have experienced this as well with Opera. Upgrade to latest flash player.
It might also help to disable hardware acceleration for the flash player. It seems the flashplayer can make use of the graphics card. If there is a glitch in the driver, flashplayer might hang for whatever reason and may then hang up your browser.
At least, that is what i have understood of the whole issue.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I haven't been getting Hangs, but lately on Youtube I have to minimize the Player from Fullscreen and back to Fullscreen as often the first FS is corrupted. Will have to try a Flash Update I suppose, but I did update my Drivers recently, the first time in 6ish months, so that could have something to do with it as well.

marino.DV

Sep 5, 2011
no problems with flash in my browser but on the other hand it does consume a lot of resources

joshcloud9

Mar 7, 2004
I have the same issue

I suspect it might be because I am using an oldish video card. A geforce 8600 gts. That doesn't support DX11

Drivers are up to date.

Windows 7 64 bit
8 gig matched ram
AMD Phenom II X4 925
Asus M2N-E