Does FEAR have a problem with multi-core CPUs?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
After being inspired by another thread here, I decided to resurrect FEAR. I downloaded the 100-108 patch (the big mega-size 400+MB patch!) loaded up the game, patched and launched.

I set the resolution to 1900x1200; there is a message in the menu stating that this resolution is not officially supported. Basically, no widescreen res's are officially supported, but you can see if they work for you. OK, whatever.

I launch the game and as soon as the first video starts playing I get horrendous screen corruption, tearing and then a hard lock. I tried a support (16x12) res; same thing. :confused:

I tried enabling Vertical Sync; got to play for 2 minutes, then same thing.

I am running the latest drivers for everything and have ZERO issues with any other game and application.

PC is in sig...I'm pretty sure I meet the minimum hardware requirements. ;)

The only thing I didn't check was to manually set CPU Affinity. Is that it? I'd try it but I uninstalled the game b/c I got pissed off. :eek:

Thanks for the help.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Should work fine with dual core or quad

Check widescreengamingforum for how to get the resolution @1900x1200

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks BB. Funny thing is that I had this same problem when I had my Quad Core (Q6600) rig. FEARs' the only game that wigs out on me like this. :confused:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It was ages ago that I played it, but I do not recall having any issues on my dual-core.

I played it at 1920x1200 with no issues either.

KT

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just played through the whole pack of games (that last expansion kind of stank though so I quit half way through). Never had any problem...I'd just make sure you have the latest patch.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
No problems here on a Quad, this is with all xpacs and patches installed at 1920x1200.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Nope, nothing is overclocked. I guess there's something in my system that FEAR doesn't like. :( I've got the drivers for everything installed...even the monitor! The artifacting and tearing points to a videocard issue, but if I can play Crysis for hours on end with no issue I doubt FEAR is more demanding on the card.

Guess I can load it up again and see if the base game (no patches) is weird too. Maybe it's the patch that's screwing me up? That's never happened before but there's always a first time, I guess.

Thanks for the help, guys.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Well, I loaded it all up again and tried the only thing I've not tried previously; disabling CPU Affinity for certain cores.

I run an 8 core machine...I figured that 4 years ago, the game programmers never thought someone would try and run this game on a dualie...with 8 cores.

So, in Task Mangler I unchecked CPUs 4,5,6,7 (the entire second CPU) and let it fly. I actually got to play for about 10 mintues before the same sh!t happened again.

I gave up and uninstalled the game and threw it back into the desk drawer. I can play Crysis, The Witcher, Oblivion which are all much more demanding than FEAR and I have zero issues. Not a single glitch. :confused:

Oh well.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
What a shame. It must be something about your system FEAR doesn't like.

I've no issues with a dualcore and HD3870. I even seem to recall seeing both CPUs get loaded, but I didn't think FEAR is multithreaded.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
A simple test would be to set the affinity to just one core and see if that helps. I don't have any issues with dual-core for the record.

Originally posted by: Raduque

I even seem to recall seeing both CPUs get loaded, but I didn't think FEAR is multithreaded.
Likely every commercial Win32 game ever made is multi-threaded.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
A simple test would be to set the affinity to just one core and see if that helps. I don't have any issues with dual-core for the record.

Originally posted by: Raduque

I even seem to recall seeing both CPUs get loaded, but I didn't think FEAR is multithreaded.
Likely every commercial Win32 game ever made is multi-threaded.

"Multithreaded", "SMP-Aware", "Multi-core Capable", I'm sure you know what I actually mean.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Just bought F.E.A.R. Platinum the other day and installed it on an AMD X2 6000+, 4 Gb RAM, HD4870 and works fine.

Performance is a bit poor and I have that in CoH. When I get my PC back, Im going to do a driver spring clean.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
I've run FEAR on a quad at home, did not have any of these issues. Must be a rogue driver somewhere causing mayhem.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks for the additional inputs. :)

It's got to be a rogue driver or something. I've got Sony Vegas Pro and all kinds of other codecs and such loaded up...maybe that's it? :confused:

Something that's interesting: At any combination of video settings (resolution, AF, texture level, etc) I can run the "Check settings" demo from the control panel and it runs flawlessly with really high frame rates. Looks beautiful.

But I can't play it for more than 5-10 minutes without the screen going pixelated/torn and the box hard-locking.

It's very frustrating! :|

Every other game runs like a top. /repeatedly bangs head on keyboard

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
not sure what to tell you :( I just bought the FEAR combo package from Amazon and loaded it on my q6600 setup (see below) and it works like a dream.

Edit: just went back to my old thread and realized that's where this got started. Sorry about that :)