Does exposure to 'Christianity' make one intolerant of others? Couldn't it be banned as a public health hazard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ummmm..... :rolleyes:

Who would be the LARGEST single property owner in America again?

They pay ANY taxes at all on said land? :oops:

It's fine to defend your faith but you really don't want to open this $200 million dollar + can of worms. *(it might take up 177 MILLION acres lol)

The Secret Finances of the Vatican Economy (Investopedia)
There's a lot of plunder wealth from centuries ago. The Vatican is old money- like the British Royal Family. Today they run schools for tuition, and rely on donations at masses.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As far as the local Catholic church nearby, anyone can simply wait in line to get stuff from the food distribution program, no questions asked. And I mean literally anyone. They give you a card for your place in line, and put your name down in a log, and that's it.

I don't attend.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What about the "Paradox of Tolerance"? That says that one CANNOT "tolerate" the intolerant.

If Christianity, as taught today, is in fact "intolerant", then that rule means that we, as a society, CANNOT tolerate Christianity.

So if our Constitution prohibits banning it, then, eventually, it will end up undermining our nation and Constitutional form of gov't.

As we are witnessing before our very eyes.
I see nothing to indicate the federal government's numerous entities and individuals operating it are under direct coercion or interference by religion.

In addition, the government under the Constitution was a politician- and lawyer crafted entity, with the hidden purpose of allowing the elites within government to maintain firm control but be inhibited from being overly interventional and turning the state into an immutable, overbearing entity to a degree. It was made out of necessity because in part, the federal government could not collect funding from the states under the Articles of Confederation.

Furthermore, causes of action in the legal system can have a legacy that goes well beyond remedying the situation at hand, for there are elements that can be generalized into future situations.

The Constitution itself is taught as a piece of moral opium in schools rather than a legal document, and for good reason; if everyone thought like a lawyer, the system would break because everyone would know how to game it.

The prized feature of the English-derived legal system is precisely to malleability of the state due to having some inhibitions in punitive measures. This does not mean no blood, sweat, or tears have to be spent; but with enough power and standing and sometimes dead bodies, reform can occur. This is not the case in many other systems. Ghandi may have pulled it off in India, with considerable assistance from his training in law, but in a place like modern Russia...he be put in the grave ASAP and there is no further resistance.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I see nothing to indicate the federal government's numerous entities and individuals operating it are under direct coercion or interference by religion.
The Air Force Academy has had chronic problems with evangelical Christians using faith as a factor in promotions and grading and doing so in a concerted manner.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

In addition, the government under the Constitution was a politician- and lawyer crafted entity, with the hidden purpose of allowing the elites within government to maintain firm control but be inhibited from being overly interventional and turning the state into an immutable, overbearing entity to a degree. It was made out of necessity because in part, the federal government could not collect funding from the states under the Articles of Confederation.

Furthermore, causes of action in the legal system can have a legacy that goes well beyond remedying the situation at hand, for there are elements that can be generalized into future situations.

The Constitution itself is taught as a piece of moral opium in schools rather than a legal document, and for good reason; if everyone thought like a lawyer, the system would break because everyone would know how to game it.

The prized feature of the English-derived legal system is precisely to malleability of the state due to having some inhibitions in punitive measures. This does not mean no blood, sweat, or tears have to be spent; but with enough power and standing and sometimes dead bodies, reform can occur. This is not the case in many other systems. Ghandi may have pulled it off in India, with considerable assistance from his training in law, but in a place like modern Russia...he be put in the grave ASAP and there is no further resistance.
Roe v Wade repeal

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Exposure to christians makes me very intolerant of christians. So called adults basing their life on a fucking absurd fairy tale.

Reactions: Captante

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah, Catholics have none of that. In fact, we'll help other churches (we even had a fund raiser for a Jewish temple down the road that needed a roof). Help and donations are done with volunteers with no strings attached. We would wish you well and make sure you were taken care of. People being uncomfortable would make parishiners feel confomfortable. There's no "indoctrination" schemes because it's not a money making organization.

Yea. I live in NJ and its primarily Catholic. Super low key. My aunt was highly religious. She went to church 2x a day. Morning and night. 4-5 days a week. She did a lot of good work for her community, was super nice, and never once forced her beliefs on other people. I've met born again Christians and those people are craaaazy! They are like Jevoah Witnesses. Everyone is hell bound except for them apparently.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yea. I live in NJ and its primarily Catholic. Super low key. My aunt was highly religious. She went to church 2x a day. Morning and night. 4-5 days a week. She did a lot of good work for her community, was super nice, and never once forced her beliefs on other people. I've met born again Christians and those people are craaaazy! They are like Jevoah Witnesses. Everyone is hell bound except for them apparently.

Around here the churches seem more normal too. Of course also around here there are a bunch of church to condo conversions. Those are my favorite kind of churches for the most part.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey I have that book. I haven't read it yet. I believe it was Hitchen's last book before he passed away.
No. But it's likely his most famous and most read book.

"Hitchens died of cancer in December 2011 and his last book, "Mortality," has just been published. It includes seven essays he penned for "Vanity Fair," and a final chapter that he never finished.Sep 7, 2012"

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Yeah, it's Tucker/Fox News, so who knows if it's truthful, but he alleges that there was an FBI whistleblower, and that the FBI is going after Catholics.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD and Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah, one of his major works: god is not great (lower case on purpose). Eye and mind opening, very well researched and with his trademark wit and eloquence.

Can't say I was impressed. It struck me as very sloppy and scattershot. Vaguely remember I spotted at least two factual errors in it, which is saying something considering his elite background and education compared to mine. It was just a slapdash rant, it seemed to me. What was true in it mostly wasn't new information to me, and it was not a particularly rigourous argument.

Dawkins' book was more rigorous and methodical, but conversely, seemed ultra-geeky and like a "beginner's guide to basic atheism".

Honestly, I constantly find myself disliking 'both sides' when it comes to arguments about religion vs non-belief. It's a lot like arguments over Brexit, in that respect.

Reactions: Captante

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Two points. I'm not a right to lifer, and I don't think humans are intrinsically valuable. That said, I'd like to kick Tucker til there was nothing left but wet greasy spot on the pavement. Just want to do my part to MakeAmericaGreattAgain.

Arguing over religion is like arguing over StarTrek episodes. Why does x work like that? Because it was written that way. Trying to insert logic into fiction is a losing exercise.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, it's Tucker/Fox News, so who knows if it's truthful, but he alleges that there was an FBI whistleblower, and that the FBI is going after Catholics.
You don't even have to watch it to know it's going to be heavily biased and probably play fast and loose with the facts. Remember, Fox News themselves says that no reasonable viewer takes Tucker Carlson seriously.
The FBI in Richmond discusses monitoring Racially or Ethnically Motivated Violent Extremists (RMVE) and their interests in so-called "Radical-Traditionalist Catholics" or RTCs.

The memo notes that FBI investigations have found that there is a "growing overlap" between the far-right white nationalist movement and RTCs.

The January 23 document claims that RTCs are a small minority of the Catholic Church. They adhere to "anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT and white supremacy" ideology, while also preferring the "traditional Latin mass."

The memo notes that these Catholics reject the Second Vatican Council and show a "disdain for popes elected since Vatican II."
It's perfectly on-brand for Tucker Carlson et al to wail about how this means the FBI is going after Catholics. Is it true? Well, taken as a binary yes/no option, yes, but the context would seem to be important.
Meanwhile, if the FBI wasn't keeping an eye on them, and one of these people performed some form of attack, then the cry would go up "why didn't the FBI do anything about these extremists, inside our OWN churches? Defund the FBI!"