Does exposure to 'Christianity' make one intolerant of others? Couldn't it be banned as a public health hazard?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious. Because everyone I know that is vocally claiming to be Christian, is also among the most judgemental and intolerant people that I know.

One of them once said to me, "If you don't hate the world and hate yourself, you're not really a Christian."

I thought that Jesus was Love, and that "Love your neighbors as you love yourself", and that if you love AND hate, a house divided cannot stand.

IOW, I do not believe that Jesus would have considered those people to be Christians. But doesn't that just make ME judgemental and hateful? Thus the paradox.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No and no. People choose to be intolerant regardless of what they are/aren’t exposed to. Banning is also not an option.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If they can ban Muslims, Burquas, and Sharia Law in parts of the country, they can certainly ban Christianity just the same.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What about the "Paradox of Tolerance"? That says that one CANNOT "tolerate" the intolerant.

If Christianity, as taught today, is in fact "intolerant", then that rule means that we, as a society, CANNOT tolerate Christianity.

So if our Constitution prohibits banning it, then, eventually, it will end up undermining our nation and Constitutional form of gov't.

As we are witnessing before our very eyes.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Just curious. Because everyone I know that is vocally claiming to be Christian, is also among the most judgemental and intolerant people that I know.

One of them once said to me, "If you don't hate the world and hate yourself, you're not really a Christian."

I thought that Jesus was Love, and that "Love your neighbors as you love yourself", and that if you love AND hate, a house divided cannot stand.

IOW, I do not believe that Jesus would have considered those people to be Christians. But doesn't that just make ME judgemental and hateful? Thus the paradox.
For every stupid, vocal "christian" there's dozens more you'd never know or would ever bother making it a public declaration.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe a better angle would be to use Hate Speech laws against Pastors Who Preach Hate.

Including holding them accountable for the mass shootings of (by) their parishioners.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

There are many many diferent kinds of Christians. Catholic, Baptist, Calvinist, etc. And they all beleive that they have the correct view on Christanity.

The truth is the bible can be interpereted in any way that suits your view. Just like the person who told you: "If you don't hate the world and hate yourself, you're not really a Christian." Was he/ she a fundemental baptist Christian? I was raised Catholic and I'd never give you that type of response. I live in South Jersey and religion hardly ever comes up. People in my area just don't care. Its only the hardcore evangelicals who tend to be very agressive.

When the person said that you need to hate the world and yourself or else you're not a Christian is probably refering to Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Does that sound like love to you?

The reality about Jesus according to historical scholars (non-Christian) is Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher. He preached that the end times were going to happen in his lifetime. Apocalypticism and prophecies of the end times was a very big deal in Jewish religion around this time. This is exactly what Jesus preached. The end times never happened. Even Paul, 20 plus years later, expected the end to come during his lifetime. He was telling people to not get married, and to not have children. Marriage and having children are meaningless when the end of the world is neigh.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The reality about Jesus according to historical scholars (non-Christian) is Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher. He preached that the end times were going to happen in his lifetime. Apocalypticism and prophecies of the end times was a very big deal in Jewish religion around this time. This is exactly what Jesus preached. The end times never happened. Even Paul, 20 plus years later, expected the end to come during his lifetime. He was telling people to not get married, and to not have children. Marriage and having children are meaningless when the end of the world is neigh.
So Jesus is a fraud, too.
And so are the "Doomsday" Evangelicals.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Think Jesus would have had a hate on for so many of the groups conservatives despise and attack?

Prostitutes? It is documented Jesus frequently spent time with them

Know a group Jesus despised? Hypocrites

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They get angry for some reason every time I mention Jesus was a-ok with man on man love since he said love thy neighbour but don't sleep with his wife.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I certainly hate that people can indoctrinate their kids from a young age into such cults. Ideally parents let their kids make their own choices when they are old enough to be able to process such things. It's sad to see kids learn how to hate their very existence from the beginning...

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Why do you want to ban it?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I was raised a devout Catholic. Not sure this is the same as "Christian" (I think of Evangelicals when I think of Christian). We were raised to be kind, unjudgmental, and if you had the capacity to help it is your duty to help.

I left the church a good 20+ years ago, but I still kept those values. I think I turned out pretty well. Those people that judge others are the ones that feel powerless in life, so they grasp on to any thread of superiority they possibly can.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I was raised a devout Catholic. Not sure this is the same as "Christian" (I think of Evangelicals when I think of Christian). We were raised to be kind, unjudgmental, and if you had the capacity to help it is your duty to help.

I left the church a good 20+ years ago, but I still kept those values. I think I turned out pretty well. Those people that judge others are the ones that feel powerless in life, so they grasp on to any thread of superiority they possibly can.
I think of "people who believe Jesus was the literal son of god (and maybe god himself? IDK they're so damn complicated) and died for their sins" when I think of Christians. I didn't grow up Christian, and there are way too many varieties of Christians for me to grok all the differences between Catholics and Methodists and Baptists and Lutherans and all the sub-genres of each (since it seems part of growing up in a church is being taught why the other Jesus worshippers are doing it wrong).

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

What evangelicals will do is when they help people in need there will always be some kind of attachment, such as handing out scripture or telling people that they are doomed for hell if they don't repent to Jesus. While they are handing out meals for the less fortunate. I saw a video where they were handing out fake $20 bills to the homeless. On the back of the fake bills was Christian scripture. Its sick IMo. Why can't they help the less fortunate from their hearts? No strings attached. They always have to go to scripture, and to damn others to hell if they don't fall in line with their ideology.

What is actually a true Christian? Is it a Baptist, a Jevoah Witness, Catholic, Mormon, or Methodist? Its funny when I hear Baptist say "of he's not a true Christian because he's a Mormon." Like they would actually know what being a true Christian entails. And so, this is the issue with Christanity. There are over 42,000 Christian denominations. They all believe that they have the correct verison.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
What evangelicals will do is when they help people in need there will always be some kind of attachment, such as handing out scripture or telling people that they are doomed for hell if they don't repent to Jesus. While they are handing out meals for the less fortunate. I saw a video where they were handing out fake $20 bills to the homeless. On the back of the fake bills was Christian scripture. Its sick IMo. Why can't they help the less fortunate from their hearts? No strings attached. They always have to go to scripture, and to damn others to hell if they don't fall in line with their ideology.
My partners parents do this, except I think it was a bogus thousand dollar bill they sent to all the kids with their Christmas gifts this year.
Of course, those kids were all raised in the church and left it, seems foolish, insulting, and a waste to think you're going to win them back to the church with this tactic.

• Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just like in many countries and religions, here it is conservative Christianity in this country is one of the biggest threats we have to a decent way of life. They are usually the most terrible people.

In the Middle East its conservative islam and it's oppressive rules especially over women.

But here at home Christianity is one of the biggest threats to decency, morality, and healthy progress as a society and as a species.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I especially enjoy Young Earth Creationists:

never have so few been so stupid to so many.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

What is actually a true Christian? Is it a Baptist, a Jevoah Witness, Catholic, Mormon, or Methodist? Its funny when I hear Baptist say "of he's not a true Christian because he's a Mormon." Like they would actually know what being a true Christian entails. And so, this is the issue with Christanity. There are over 42,000 Christian denominations. They all believe that they have the correct verison.

Yeah, Catholics have none of that. In fact, we'll help other churches (we even had a fund raiser for a Jewish temple down the road that needed a roof). Help and donations are done with volunteers with no strings attached. We would wish you well and make sure you were taken care of. People being uncomfortable would make parishiners feel confomfortable. There's no "indoctrination" schemes because it's not a money making organization.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think of "people who believe Jesus was the literal son of god (and maybe god himself? IDK they're so damn complicated) and died for their sins" when I think of Christians. I didn't grow up Christian, and there are way too many varieties of Christians for me to grok all the differences between Catholics and Methodists and Baptists and Lutherans and all the sub-genres of each (since it seems part of growing up in a church is being taught why the other Jesus worshippers are doing it wrong).

Gandi summed up my opinion of Jesus better than any other mainstream religious leader I'm aware of.

874530676-mahatma_gandhi_religion_5335.jpg

Jesus WAS a really cool dude and was a "son of god" in the same sense we all are .... HIS message was LOVE each other and to FORGIVE each other our petty differences because inside we are ALL the same.

The vast majority of mankind's so-called "Christian" churches OTOH have nothing to do with these things because they are not conducive to acquiring money and power to control people.

:confused_old:

Reactions: KMFJD and sandorski

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Gandi summed up my opinion of Jesus better than any other mainstream religious leader I'm aware of.

874530676-mahatma_gandhi_religion_5335.jpg

Jesus WAS a really cool dude and was a "son of god" in the same sense we all are .... HIS message was LOVE each other and to FORGIVE each other our petty differences because inside we are ALL the same.

The vast majority of mankind's so-called "Christian" churches OTOH have nothing to do with these things because they are not conducive to acquiring money and power to control people.

:confused_old:

As Hitchens said, Religion ruins everything.

Reactions: Muse and Captante