does everyone here protect against static?

Rivergater

Jan 15, 2002
does everyone here protect adequately against static electricity when poking around inside your computer?

just wondering.

punkrawket

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2001
i run around in my socks with a "shuffling" motion for a min or two on my shag carpeting and dive right in

Shaftatplanetquake

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
ESD is a bunch of crap. If its cold and dry, I would ground myself first by touching a metal part of the case, and then dive right in. If its warm.. or if its wet.. and certainly if its warm and wet.. you have next to nothing to worry about.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I just touch the case (on an unpainted part) with the PSU plugged in, then I unplug the PSU and start working/dawdling inside the box :D

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<< If by "adequately" you mean "half-assed", then yes!

Armani
>>

:Q :D I just busted up laughing when I read that. :D

You get a 10 my funny friend. :cool:

nik

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
I keep my computer plugged in at all time and just turn off the "I/O" switch on the back to off so the computer stays grounded at all time.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<< I keep my computer plugged in at all time and just turn off the "I/O" switch on the back to off so the computer stays grounded at all time. >>

It's a good thing you keep it plugged in. If it weren't teathered, you might accidentally drive it off the driveway into the ditch. ;) :p

nik

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
on client's systems ? anti static strap -always, I also have anti-static mats.. since part of my work area is carpeted I use a solution of downy and water.. sprayed lightly on the carpets. I'm in the Northeast and static is a wintertime reality that I'm always careful about.

Shaftatplanetquake

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
DessertCart, you are a retard. You already proved that in the other thread, why come over here and say soemthing completely false? ESD does get some components, in Dry/Cool environments in rare instances. Walking around on carpet will put you @ high risk. You should be ok if you ground yourself before you handle components.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< DessertCart, you are a retard. >>

No YOU are.

Static DOES NOT cause any damage. Static electricity is simply a charged potentials. It's the discharge of static electricity through the circuit that damages the circuit.

<<
Walking around on carpet will put you @ high risk.
>>

It will raise your potential in comparision to the ground and this is harmless until discharge takes place through a circuit.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< no, I don't... and mostly, the machines usually shock me.... >>

That's a tell-tale sign of absence of grounding.

You're using a two-prong cord or an ungrounded outlet aren't you?

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
I always just touch the cover of my case that has a metal plate on it, just incase. I have however got the hell shocked out of me when i was trying to change my speaker wires while my comp was on, it was all dark and then all the sudden you see like a big blue/white flash and her a ZZZZZZZZZZiap then i jumped back and my finger was all hurting and throbing and my arm.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
The work I do involves providing ESD protection to circuits which have a bump to the outside world. In every such circuit, there are ESD protection diodes which during an ESD event, current gets directed towards these diodes and is discharged to ground and away from the gates and diffusions of transistors.

So esd events (ie charging a bump with a high voltage) can be controlled and safely eliminated by the circuit, but you still can damage your computer provided there is a high enough voltage.