Does eating carbs before alcohol consumption help you consume more?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by illusion88, Apr 26, 2007.

1. illusion88

illusion88 Lifer

I have been told that if you at a bunch of carbs, like say half a loaf of bread, you will be able to consume more alochol. Is this true? I know that eating a big meal helps, maybe this is the effect you are seeing (perhaps the bread is soaking up the booze)? Or is it the carbs that is having an effect on the processing of the alcohol.

2. imported_Snagle

imported_Snagle Golden Member

drinking on an empty stomach = get drunk faster

3. TheGizmo

TheGizmo Diamond Member

sugar = carbs too if you eat a crapload of sugar it does not help.. its the absorption power of bread that helps, not the carbs

edit: for spelling

4. moomoo40moo

moomoo40moo Golden Member

maybe not half a loaf of bread, but probably some t-bell or something similar would work too.... Don't wanna start drinkin with a stomach ache from being too full

5. Jules

Jules Lifer

t bell sounds so damn good right now!

6. Juno

Juno Lifer

i had a terrible experience on my 21st...drinking on an empty stomach. i was very lucky to be survived. :eek:

7. Matthias99

Matthias99 Diamond Member

Drinking on an empty stomach will definitely make you absorb the alcohol into your bloodstream faster. Drinking after eating won't necessarily keep you from getting drunk, but it will make you less likely to get sick, and you won't get as drunk as fast.

I'm not aware of any definitive studies on the subject, but in my experience it didn't seem like particular foods had a noticeably bigger effect on tolerance. Probably it has more to do with the volume of what is in your stomach.