Does DVD Shrink 3.2 use multiple cores?

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
I thought DVD Shrink 3.2 uses multiple cores. I loaded Speedfan to watch core usage and then encoded a dvd with DVD shrink. Speedfan reported only that Core 0 was being loaded up 100%.

What gives?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I'm not sure if it does or not. I thought that development was halted on DVDShrink. You may want to check out Handbrake, not sure if the Windows version has come along any since I last used it, but it may be worth a shot. Handbrake works like a charm on OS X and is multithreaded, so I would assume that the Windows version is as well.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
The anonymous creator of DVD shrink disappeared sometime around 2004. Most popular theories include an assassination perpetrated by the MPAA or that Nero hired him. Needless to say, I really doubt that the program was made with dual cores in mind.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Yes it does. DVD Shrink 3.2 uses multiple cores. I haven't tried it on a quad core but I know it uses both cores on the duals.

The author was hired by Ahead to write Nero's "Recode" software which, not surprisingly, looks an awful lot like DVD Shrink.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Pabster
Yes it does. DVD Shrink 3.2 uses multiple cores. I haven't tried it on a quad core but I know it uses both cores on the duals.

The author was hired by Ahead to write Nero's "Recode" software which, not surprisingly, looks an awful lot like DVD Shrink.

I'm still not convinced that it does. Speedfan is only showing 1 core being used 100%. Is there an option to use multiple cores?

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
open two instances and encode two dvds at once!
thats theonly way.

ok, then I was right then. DVD Shrink only uses 1 core per instance. I was hoping to burn 1 DVD in half the time :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: mrfatboy
thats theonly way.

ok, then I was right then. DVD Shrink only uses 1 core per instance. I was hoping to burn 1 DVD in half the time :)
Uhhhh, I'm not sure what your burn speed is but I'm absolutely positive its much slower than one core of your CPU.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens
thats theonly way.

Uhhhh, I'm not sure what your burn speed is but I'm absolutely positive its much slower than one core of your CPU.

DVD shrink just encodes. It doesn't burn DVDs.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006

It should be able use both cores to encode. It's just basic number crunching. However, since it was written awhile ago I guess the programmer didn't consider multiple core. Hence my original question.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Isn't DVD Shrink I/O limited anyway?

Not unless you've got an extremely slow hard disk or optical drive.

It should be able use both cores to encode. It's just basic number crunching. However, since it was written awhile ago I guess the programmer didn't consider multiple core. Hence my original question.

Technically everything a computer does is just number crunching but that doesn't say anything about the real work it's doing. A/V encoding is hard to parallelize because later blocks depend on the previous blocks to already be compressed to determine what the full frame will look/sound like.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
thats theonly way.

DVD shrink just encodes. It doesn't burn DVDs.
I was just responding.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
DVD Shrink does use at least 2 cores. I just tested it on my AMD X2 system (in Vista 32bit). Process manager showed that it spawned 19 threads, and pegged both cores at 100%.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I don't have a quad core to test on, but it most certainly does utilize both cores on a dual core CPU.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MrPickins
DVD Shrink does use at least 2 cores. I just tested it on my AMD X2 system (in Vista 32bit). Process manager showed that it spawned 19 threads, and pegged both cores at 100%.

hm fired it up and apparently it does.
i haven't used it in a long time, i use clonedvd 2 because it can deal with menus:p

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
Just to chime in for confirmation, DVD shrink does use 4 cores. However, I start hitting I/O limitations after 3 cores. I'm running a RAID 0 array and I cap out at about ~75% net utilization, give or take 5% on a QX6700 @ 3.4 GHz. It does tend to hover around 3 cores net, but no other processes are taking up CPU and it does peak out at 81% net utilization and dip to 71% at times. Regardless, I seem to be hitting I/O limitations before I peg all 4 cores, so it does let me do some multitasking since my video processing RAID is separate from my OS/Application drive