Does drinking hot coffee make your body temperature rise?

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Everyone morning I drink a cup or two of steaming hot, black columbian coffee. Shortly thereafter I get really warm (almost uncomfortable) and even sweat a little. Likewise, if I drink a large glass of ice tea at a restaurant, I'll start to freeze.

Normal, right?

crisp82

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2002
I get that.

The theory is though it will cool you down (hence the sweating) due to Homeostasis

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah because the heat from the coffee has to go somewhere. I find that a mug of tea will warm me up big time. I also get freezing cold on days I don't have my morning coffee.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nothing substantial, no. Your body is already hot inside, the coffee isn't THAT much hotter. Your body quickly normalizes the temperature of the coffee.

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I don't believe it's just the temperature of the coffee but also the sugars and caffeine that jolts your body into have more energy. More energy = more heat, hense you feeling warmer.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored
I don't believe it's just the temperature of the coffee but also the sugars and caffeine that jolts your body into have more energy. More energy = more heat, hense you feeling warmer.

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Maybe the caffene is increasing your heart rate and blood flow, and as a result, increasing your body temp.

-MC

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
1. Heat energy will always want to move around in your body, so it the heat of the coffee will warm you up. The sugars/caffeine thing sounds reasonable because it's energy but i dont have much to say about it..

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
No.

Imagine your body as a big bucket of water (which it essentially is).

The water is ~98.6 degrees.

Add to that bucket one steaming hot cup of coffee.

How much warmer is that big bucket o water? Not very.