Does CompUSA really tack a 15% restocking fee on anything open-box returned within the specified return period?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Not sure on their specific policies but some places have different rules for different types of goods. CompUSA's Terms and Conditions page isn't very helpful

They don't even mention the 15% on the website :confused:

Oct 19, 2000
I know they do this, but not sure if it's just specific products. I brought back some opened cold cathod UV lights one time that cost me $15.99, and they were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee. They mentioned it, but I can't remember now why they didn't charge it to me.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Zorro
Thought they removed the restocking fee a few month back.

they may have...i havent shopped there in quite some time...and havent returned anything in longer...hell i dont really remember if the restocking fee was there in the first place...

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only time the have a good return policy is during xmas other then that they suck.

Ausm

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
There's no mention of 15% restocking fee in their return policy. It used to be there, but they removed it before the holidays and haven't added it back in.

"CompUSA Satisfaction Promise
At CompUSA, we believe in being fair to our customers. If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased from us and you return the product with the original receipt or invoice within 21 days of purchase or invoice date, you may exchange the product or receive a refund. Items must be in new condition, with the original box, packaging, manuals, accessories, and UPC code. CompUSA will not accept the return of any item if the UPC code has been removed from the packaging.

In-Store Purchases
If you do not have the original receipt, you may exchange unopened product for a CompUSA merchandise card. Opened software, DVD movies, pre-recorded videos, game cartridges, and consumables such as ink or cleaning cartridges and paper may ONLY be exchanged for the exact same item and may NOT be returned for refund. These items can be exchanged in-store only.

Returns may be credited to a CompUSA merchandise card or, if you prefer, to the original credit card. Purchases made by cash or check over $250 will be refunded by a check from our corporate office within 10 business days.

Online Purchases
Most items purchased online can be returned to CompUSA retail locations. Please review your packing slip to determine return procedures for your purchase. If your packing slip is missing or is not clear on how to return, please call 1-800-653-3831 for clarification before attempting to return to a store. Some items must be returned by mail, using the Mail-In (RMA) Return Policy listed below. All items must be accompanied by a copy of the original receipt and must be in the original, undamaged packaging. Refunds or credits do not include original shipping and handling charges.

Shipping fees will not be refunded if shipment is refused at time of delivery.

Refunds on purchases made with a credit card will be posted to the original credit card used at the time of sale.

Opened software, DVD movies, pre-recorded videos and game cartridges may not be returned for a refund. "

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
i just bought a pair of shure e2c earphones yesterday, and they told me that there was a 15% restocking fee. they only waived it for the holiday season.

xEDIT409

Banned
May 17, 2003
For spring break, I bought one of those things that you use for your iPod with your digital camera.

You put your memory in the thing, and the thing connects to the iPod, and transfers it to the ipod for later removal. It was by Belkin.

Anywho, being the cheap bastard that I am, I intentionally bought it and planned on returning it, once I was done with it.

I asked them if there was a restocking fee when I bought it, and they said, "yeah, 15%."

When I returned it exactly like 20 days later or something, they asked, "what was wrong with it?"

I said, "my mom said I can't keep it, it's too expensive."

When I get my reciept, they didn't take of 15%!

SCORE! :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No restocking fee this morning when I took it back. :)

The only reason why I asked is b/c my receip that printed out said something about a restocking fee

tomstevens26

Sep 21, 2001
I've never paid a restock fee there. The few times they've actually tried to charge me I always say one of the sales people there told me that was what I needed, only to find out they were wrong and I needed something else. They've always waived the fee at that point.

Tom

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: xEDIT409
For spring break, I bought one of those things that you use for your iPod with your digital camera.

You put your memory in the thing, and the thing connects to the iPod, and transfers it to the ipod for later removal. It was by Belkin.

Anywho, being the cheap bastard that I am, I intentionally bought it and planned on returning it, once I was done with it.

I asked them if there was a restocking fee when I bought it, and they said, "yeah, 15%."

When I returned it exactly like 20 days later or something, they asked, "what was wrong with it?"

I said, "my mom said I can't keep it, it's too expensive."

When I get my reciept, they didn't take of 15%!

SCORE! :D

When anybody complains about stores having a restocking fee, read above. :roll:

tomstevens26

Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge
When anybody complains about stores having a restocking fee, read above. :roll:

So then perhaps it should be renamed from "restocking fee" to "rental fee?" ;)

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
CompUSSR is fvcking retarded. Computer breaks. I need emergency power supply. They have a deal on one of their "compusa" branded ones (yeah this was before I knew what a quality PS was). Compusa branded one doesn't work. I say screw it and order an Antec one online. Bring PS back, tell them its broken out of the box and I really don't feel like wasting my time with another one since I already ordered one online, so I ask for a straight up refund. She tells me i'll be charged 15%. I tell her that doesn't make sense, its not my fault this pos is broken out of the box. She says sorry. I ask for manager. Manager basically says sorry. I say fvck you and take the 15%.

But I guess they removed that

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
If you bought the stuff between 11/14 and 12/24 and returned it before 1/8/05 you didn't have to pay a restock fee. I got that off the receipt that printed on my CDRw I bought. Seeing this thread reminded me that I have to bring this back because it doesn't work.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
wtf

ok i bought a dlink wireless card from compusa. On the back of the reciept it still says they'll tack on a 15% fee. I thought you guys said they removed it. Fvcking shit. This stupid wireless card works great except for the fact that you have to take it out and put it in everytime you start windows