Does CMOS Battery recharge?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by xenolith, Dec 26, 2003.

1. xenolith

xenolith Golden Member

#1 mobo, EP-8RDA3+, unused for the past six months and has a dead CMOS battery (keeps getting checksum errrors.)

#2 mobo, two years old, went the last year without being plugged in, and the battery was dead when put in the EP-8RDA3+.

#3 mobo, very old (4 yrs old) that I use once a month, has always been plugged in, and has never given me problems. Battery solved the checksum error when put in the EP-8RDA3+.

Is this proof that the CMOS battery recharges as long as the system is plugged into an outlet?

2. pspada

pspada Platinum Member

Nope, the batteries do not recharge on any system I've seen. but they may discharge if not used for an extended period of time, and possibly even corrode, leading to failure.

3. Peter

Peter Elite Member

No. It's a battery.

It's just that it doesn't get USED while the machine is On. "On" also includes the pseudo-Off state an ATX machine is in after you pushed the power button.

4. xenolith

xenolith Golden Member

Thanks guys. I guess either way, it looks like I'll have to note the bios settings and take the batteries out so the they won't drain from now on.

5. Peter

Peter Elite Member

Just do what the Taiwanese do before shipping the boards: Move the "CMOS Clear" jumper to the "Clear" position. That'll disconnect the battery.

6. xenolith

xenolith Golden Member

hmm... good idea.