Does Cheese Ever Get Harmful To Eat?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This morning I pulled out some Irish beer cheese for work that "expired" in 2017. It apparently was a semi hard cheese, but the type that has a cakey consistency, and completely covered in wax. It had a moldy part I cut off, and took a piece to work. Interesting flavor, that kind of tasted like bleu cheese. Earthy, and kinda smokey. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like.

I feel fine so far, but does cheese ever get harmful?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's bad, then there's *BAD*. A little mold to cut off, or a suboptimised flavor can be dealt with. I'm wondering if it can make you sick or kill you. Hell, they eat maggot cheese in Italy. Hard to get much more bad than that.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
This morning I pulled out some Irish beer cheese for work that "expired" in 2017. It apparently was a semi hard cheese, but the type that has a cakey consistency, and completely covered in wax. It had a moldy part I cut off, and took a piece to work. Interesting flavor, that kind of tasted like bleu cheese. Earthy, and kinda smokey. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like.

I feel fine so far, but does cheese ever get harmful?
Depends on the cheese.

Soft cheeses can quickly be infected with harmful bacteria and mold. I would never eat old, soft cheese (just the thought of old cottage cheese makes my stomach curl). Hard cheeses tend to age well as they usually cannot be penetrated by bacteria and mold. After a couple years, hard cheese can be quite sweet and have a slightly grainy/crunchy texture. I really like 5-year old gouda for example.

Raw-milk cheese is known to transmit deadly diseases such as tuberculosis. So, I personally would avoid old raw-milk cheese unless it was specifically made to be old.

Reactions: lxskllr

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Meh. I have a few 1lb blocks in the fridge starting to grow. As soon as cool morning hits I'm gonna cut off the mold and smoke it( the cheese, not the mold).

I have a science experiment goin on right now. I opened up a piece of cheese I smoked a while back and it didn't turn out right so it just kind of sat in the fridge. It still hasn't sprouted anything...

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Meh. I have a few 1lb blocks in the fridge starting to grow. As soon as cool morning hits I'm gonna cut off the mold and smoke it( the cheese, not the mold).

I have a science experiment goin on right now. I opened up a piece of cheese I smoked a while back and it didn't turn out right so it just kind of sat in the fridge. It still hasn't sprouted anything...
seriously, dude! Smoke the mold and get back to us.

:D

Reactions: feralkid

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
mandatory posting of maggoty Casu Marzu:

you know, that actually does look amazing. I love proper Italian (semi-soft), fresh pecorino. ...making it spreadable with all those other complex flavors....damn, that looks awesome. Now I want to try some, lol.

This one is for @brianmanahan, though I imagine he is too weak to enjoy this delicacy.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think it will start to taste bad well before it is bad enough to harm you. Then again if you're one of those weird people that likes blue cheese it might not taste bad to you when it gets to that state. :p

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I think it will start to taste bad well before it is bad enough to harm you. Then again if you're one of those weird people that likes blue cheese it might not taste bad to you when it gets to that state. :p

I resent that!

It's not because I like blue cheese that I'm weird.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
mandatory posting of maggoty Casu Marzu:

you know, that actually does look amazing. I love proper Italian (semi-soft), fresh pecorino. ...making it spreadable with all those other complex flavors....damn, that looks awesome. Now I want to try some, lol.

This one is for @brianmanahan, though I imagine he is too weak to enjoy this delicacy.
Now that I've seen how it's made I think I want to try it. How bad can it be? Sure it's illegal to sell but so are a lot of things that doesn't mean it's bad right?.....:smirk:

Reactions: zinfamous
Nov 8, 2012
Cheese is definetly something I would have around if you're going camping or hiking or something like that.

Overall really doesn't need to be refrigerated depending on the type. Lasts quite a while as well... And even if it does start to get mold, it's usually quite easy to just cut off the contaminated portion. Can't really do that as easily with things like fruits.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I heard you can't really cut off the dangerous moldy parts. There are still undetectable tendrils of toxic stuff that penetrate much deeper than you can see.

Nov 8, 2012
I heard you can't really cut off the dangerous moldy parts. There are still undetectable tendrils of toxic stuff that penetrate much deeper than you can see.

Haven't really heard that....

This medical site doesn't seem to suggest there is an issue with it. It only mentions not to do that for... well...cheeses that aren't hard at all (Ricotta, cottage, etc.. which is basically practically pudding)

Also understand this: "Mold" in and of itself doesn't immediately mean bad for you.

Mold is all around you... all the time... It's only particular types that are known to cause issues in human - and some are WAAAAAAAAY more than others (tends to be the darker molds) while others might just give some folks some type of slight allergy or something else that isn't of any real danger.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Dosage makes the poison.

I've removed the obvious mold from plenty of food.

I know there may be unseen contamination, but that tiny amount is unlikely to be deadly.

As others have suggested it does depend on the type of food, usually soft/wet foods are the most dangerous.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haven't really heard that....

This medical site doesn't seem to suggest there is an issue with it. It only mentions not to do that for... well...cheeses that aren't hard at all (Ricotta, cottage, etc.. which is basically practically pudding)

Also understand this: "Mold" in and of itself doesn't immediately mean bad for you.

Mold is all around you... all the time... It's only particular types that are known to cause issues in human - and some are WAAAAAAAAY more than others (tends to be the darker molds) while others might just give some folks some type of slight allergy or something else that isn't of any real danger.

Problem with that is you don't know if a particular mold will be harmful or not. It's like eating random mushrooms in the bush. Some are edible, and some can kill you. Unless you know specifically which ones are safe it's best to leave them all alone.

I personally don't like to eat anything that has mold on it, safe or not. Mold is basically a sign that it's rotten, and rotten things don't taste very good.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, I'm not a fan of mold. Bleu cheese isn't really my thing as a main ingredient, but it's alright as a flavoring additive. My Irish cheese tasted kinda like bleu, but it was subtle, so it tasted good. I'll be taking another piece to work tomorrow. I don't think the last one killed me, so it should be alright.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
are you in france? are you buying french cheese? are you canadien?