does cable quality help capture quality?

clayman

Apr 18, 2002
Hello all

Im trying to capture analogue video from VCR and 8mm camcorder.
HuffyUV codec capping AVI
Im using a Hercules AIW 7500 for video and Audigy Platinum for audio.

Problem: At the top of the captured video there is a constant flickering of a purple-ish/orange-ish colour. This isnt on the original video but always comes out on the captured video and stays there right to the end VCD.

Im using the generic RCA cables that came with my camcorder. I was wondering if maybe this the cause of the problem? Might getting higher quality cables get rid of this flickering colour?

I can't figure this out :(

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Have you tried the "capture Cropped Video" setting in MMC? If you cap using the same setting in virtualdub, does it still appear? Are you sure its not in the source video, but you don't see it because of the overscan on your TV when you view it. If you cap not using Huffy, does it appear? A different resolution?

clayman

Apr 18, 2002
yeah its not overscan... thats fine because as you say, it doesnt appear when played on the tv. This purple-ish colour flickering is something i cant cop because its quite large at the top of the video - i'd be chopping off the top half of everyones head if i cropped it out.

It appears on all video no matter what size i capture at and im positive its not on the source. Happens when capturing with any codec.

i think i'll try and get better cables and hope that gets rid of it. hope its not a waste of money.