Does anyone run the BBC Climate Change project?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
My mom runs this distributed climate change project and it seems to run you through a simulation of 150-200 years before it actually seems to upload your results. My mom runs an AMD 64 3200+ 24/7 and 100% CPU time is dedicated to this thing and it still takes several months to simulate a trial.

Just within the past 24 hours, someone was not careful and now the computer is full of spyware. I have never had any luck lately getting rid of spyware and my usual solution is to just reinstall Windows. The problem is that my mom is on her 120th year and if I reinstall Windows, bye bye goes the progress. She makes a big deal about it because this has happened before.

Does anyone else run this project? It runs your computer through a simulation of 160 years (I think) worth of climate patterns bassed on preset perameters. It looks as if you have to run through a whole trial before it uplaods any results. Given that a single trial takes 4+ months on a beefy system should make anyone realize just how stupid the setup of this experiment really is (if it works like I suspect). You are supposed to give people SMALL blocks to calculate. If you give them a years work, then probably only 10% of the people will actually run the whole trial as opposed to small work loads where you can get a much higher perticipation result.

Someone please tell me that if I have to erase her progress, three months and $30 in electricity isn't going to waste.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Uhh, just copy the program folder and registry keys and you'll be good...at least 95% of the time.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Are you speaking from experience with this program or is this just the way everything else works so you assume this one will work too?

And how do you go about saving just a directory in the registry without saving the whole thing?

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
just the way everything else works, to save the keys, right click on the folder and select export.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
get regedit open first (windowskey+R ->type regedit->ok) then almost all relevent keys will be in Current User -> Software and Local Machine -> Software

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and see if my computer can pick up where she left off before deciding what to do.

And when I reinstall Windows, everyone but the administrator will be getting a limited account.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've never had problems with BOINC and new Windows installs. I don't have BOINC installed on the C:\ Drive, and whenever I format C:\ I just Run the BOINC exe from where it's installed and everything continues as if nothing happened. Don't bother with Install keys, even if they exist for the BOINC client they don't seem necessary from my experience.

BTW, double check the Climate Change stats. On mine small chunks are sent regularly and I get my points updated daily depending on how much I've done that day.