Does anyone on TA own a SR-2 cruncher?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Do you run both processors at 100% or do you limit your processors to control the heat output from the dual processors? Have you used a Kill-a-Watt to see what a month of electricity would be for an SR-2 build?

I've always been curious about dual socketed builds would cost to run for a single month, over a "farm" of DC boxes

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
100% @ stock with 70F ambient and hottest core is 48C. I don't have a Kill-a-Watt, but I would say it would be about 225-250W since the GPU is idle. Of course that will increase once I OC and increase voltages.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Do you run both processors at 100% or do you limit your processors to control the heat output from the dual processors? Have you used a Kill-a-Watt to see what a month of electricity would be for an SR-2 build?

I've always been curious about dual socketed builds would cost to run for a single month, over a "farm" of DC boxes

Yeah, I've wondered in the long term if you actually would be saving money with a dual socket rig.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Yes, I should have been more clear on my original post.

theAnimal, does it make a difference on your SR-2 rig?

No idea personally since I turned it off right away, but from what I've read it does make a significant difference.

scsi2man

Feb 3, 2011
I own an SR-2 with 2 X5680 xeons, 48 GB of Kingston ECC Registered DDR3 1333 and 2 Nvidia GTX 580's in SLI. I would have more graphics cards but I have raid controllers in there for my hard drives. I am NPG on the seti@home group. My 2 machines both use xeons. My other one is an Asus Z8PE-D12 with 2 E5620 xeons. This main one I use is the real number cruncher of the group. It is overclocked and surprisingly the kingston memory does overclock despite it being server memory. I have them running at 4 GHZ without any issues.. aside from heat. Those processors run in the upper 70's to low 80's when crunching. Even when I use my computer I still have them crunching away... I just reduce the number of cores it can use for seti.. that way I am always contributing.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I own an SR-2 with 2 X5680 xeons, 48 GB of Kingston ECC Registered DDR3 1333 and 2 Nvidia GTX 580's in SLI. I would have more graphics cards but I have raid controllers in there for my hard drives. I am NPG on the seti@home group. My 2 machines both use xeons. My other one is an Asus Z8PE-D12 with 2 E5620 xeons. This main one I use is the real number cruncher of the group. It is overclocked and surprisingly the kingston memory does overclock despite it being server memory. I have them running at 4 GHZ without any issues.. aside from heat. Those processors run in the upper 70's to low 80's when crunching. Even when I use my computer I still have them crunching away... I just reduce the number of cores it can use for seti.. that way I am always contributing.

That's a killer setup you got there!

scsi2man

Feb 3, 2011
For my cooling, I use 2 of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/93...?tl=g40c14s757

For my fans to attach to the heatsinks I use 2 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835213001

They tend to be on the noisy side, but they do a great job. With lesser fans, the temps are about 20 degrees higher. I thought about getting the version of the heatsink where you could use 140mm fans, but they didn't have any that moved sufficient amounts of air to suit me so I got one that uses the 120mm fans. Considering how much I have stuffed into this case and motherboard, I think it runs rather well. I also have an Areca 1280ML with 2 GB of cache, with 8 hard drives in the main case and 2 external cases each with 8 hard drives. Total storage is 20,000 GB or 20 TB. I have 4 WD 500 GB drives in a raid 0 for my bootup, 10 WD 1 TB drives in raid 6 for 8 TB, 10 Samsung 1 TB drives in raid 6 for 8 TB, and an external 2 TB drive. I average for all of the raid arrays around 1.4 GB /sec... yes it really is that fast lol
The downside of this board is the bootup time in terms of checking all the components. Once I am in Windows, everything is almost instantaneous. Officially this board supports only 48 GB of ram, but unofficially I've seen people running it with 96 GB of ECC registered memory, since the chipset (5520) can easily handle that. What do I use all the ram for? I do a lot of video and sound editing, as well as running multiple VM's. I'm also a very big gamer as well, so if you have Steam, add Asusdude24 to your friends list. I always welcome the opportunity to play with others. If any of you do ever get this board, make sure you have a power supply with enough power.... I had a PC Power and Cooling 1200 watt and that was not enough to drive this system so I went with the Silverstone ST1500 and everything is smooth without any problems whatsoever.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tower/computer case do you have all of this hardware in? I'm surprised the 2x Noctunas and some Delta fans cannot keep your Xeons south of 60 degrees Celsius.

I've heard good things about both heatsink and fans, so I'm surprised you are experiencing such higher temperatures at 4.0 GHz.

scsi2man

Feb 3, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tower/computer case do you have all of this hardware in? I'm surprised the 2x Noctunas and some Delta fans cannot keep your Xeons south of 60 degrees Celsius.

I've heard good things about both heatsink and fans, so I'm surprised you are experiencing such higher temperatures at 4.0 GHz.

I use the Lian Li P80... it's a big case. At stock frequencies the cpu temps are all under 60. If I have this computer in the basement I can run it overclocked to much higher frequencies. But being that we have occasional water problems, I am not sure I want to put it down there especially as large and heavy as it is. This machine resides on the second story off in my sitting room. It gets very warm up here because I have 2 powerful xeon workstations here. Even if the temp is 0 outside this room can get quite warm due to the heat they produce. One of my friends is going to help me design and create a watercooling setup for this machine, as it will most likely never leave this room. I have thought about phase change, but that may get tricky. Overall, this is a very fast and solid system with no crashes or instabilities. I was able to get it to post and get into windows at 5 GHZ, but it ran way too hot. With better cooling I no doubt could reach those as a goal. But for now, I'll keep things conservative :)

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47916

If this is true, then you are running pretty darn close to the thermal limit of the processor (temperature wise). Just as you mentioned in your last post, it wouldn't hurt to try liquid cooling.

Phase change is alright, but from what I understand you really have to insulate your motherboard.