Does anyone live in No. Virginia?

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
Hi everyone,

I am planning to move to the DC area to go to school in August. I"m trying to find a place to live in Virginia that is close to DC. Does anyone know where Herndon is? Is it closer to NW DC than Fair Oaks? Can you recommend a decent place to live that is commutable to DC without having to take 495?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!

Cathy

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I work in Herndon.. It's about a half hour from DC. Fair oaks is about 25 minutes from DC. The cost of living might be lower if you live in Maryland instead of NoVa.

I live in Stephens City, VA, which is about 45-50 minutes from DC, with a low cost of living, and doesn't involve 495 in the commute. There are towns closer to DC along route 50, such as Berryville, Aldie, Middleburg, and Upperville.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
I live in Arlington, about a 20 min walk from Pentagon City metro.

It might also help to know what your budget is. In my area, you might be able to get a 1 bedroom for ~$900/month is you find someplace running a special.

I've also heard Md is cheaper but I don't like a long commute so I'm living in NoVa

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
I tried looking for places in MD; maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but everything I found was just a little bit cheaper, and a lot bit slummier. I'm talking big hair prostitute on Tuesday afternoon. I looked at Silver Spring and some parts of Bethesda and Rockville. Bethesda and Rockville are nice, but super expensive. Also, is it true that if you live in Herndon, you're not techinically in Fairfax county so you don't have to pay for the car sticker?

:)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Where in DC do you have to go? Check out VRE.org and wmata.org for information on the Virginia Railway Express and the DC metro, respectively.

DieselUV

Dec 9, 1999
What school are you going to? That might help. If you're going to Mason, living around there with roommates wouldn't be hard. Herndon would be a 30-40 min drive. It is further than Fair Oaks. Just tell us what school? How much you're comfortable with spending on rent? Ok with roommates? Anywhere in NoVA is good if you'd rather not take 495.

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
I'm going to Johns Hopkins for my MS in Finance. It's in NW DC, near the Dupont Circle metro. I'm not going to GMU or GWU, although I am closer to there. The good thing is, my classes are evening classes, since it's a professional program. I don't have classes until 2 or 5 in the evening. That is good, since 66 is restricted to HOV in the morning and evening.

I would be okay with roomates, but I don't know anyone, since I live in Florida now. I don't really have a budget, I'll take the cheapest and most decent I can find. I found a place called the Hermitage that is in Fair Oaks. It's right off of 66 and near the Fair Oaks Mall. Do you guys know how far that is to DC?

Thanks in advance! :)

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Does Johns Hopkins have more than one campus? I thought all of Johns Hopkins was in Baltimore? Oh, there, I see now. Well I am going to University of Maryland (college park) and DC is about a 20min metro ride. There are some decent apartments in the area and they arent terribly expensive. Someone mentioned 900/month...I dont know anyone who pays rent like that around here. And just about all the apartments in the area are about a 10min drive from one of the 2 local metro stations. Just a thought.
-doug

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
Well, i checked out some places in Silver Spring, and it was SCARY. Maybe I was loooking in the wrong places. I didn't check out College Park because it was in PG county, and people told me to stay away from there.

DieselUV

Dec 9, 1999
I live right by the Hermitage. I think 1 bedroom apts around here are like 900. If you can find someone to rent a house or something, you can save money. If you're new to the area, that's kinda tough.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Parts of Silver Spring are fine. SS sprawls like you wouldn't believe.

If I were you, I would look at MD just to avoid crossing the Potomac. That by itself will really complicate your commute, and 66 is regularly f-d up, even inbound during the evening rush.

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
Hey Diesel,

Where do you live? Is it really close to Fair Oaks? Do you know what the commute to DC is like in the evenings?

:) Know anyone who needs roomates?

DieselUV

Dec 9, 1999
I live right by Fair Oaks. The commute to DC in the evenings isn't too bad. If your classes are at 2, then the commute out should be fine. For the 5, I guess you'd leave early anyway but it shouldn't be horrible. I do know one or two friends that might want roommates but I don't know how they'd feel if I were to ask, "Hey, want a roommate from the internet?" I'll have to see.

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
I'm not just a roomate from the internet! I'm an Anandtech OT-er. Come one now! What's wrong with a 200-lb. girl eating Bon-Bons in front of my laptop all the time? Are your friends boys! I like boys! I'm just kidding. That sounds scary doesnt it. Ehh..

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
I'm not just a roomate from the internet! I'm an Anandtech OT-er. Come one now! What's wrong with a 200-lb. girl eating Bon-Bons in front of my laptop all the time? Are your friends boys! I like boys! I'm just kidding. That sounds scary doesnt it. Ehh..

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
PG county is kinda shady. I mean, College Park is essentially like a lot of college towns. Take out places, fast food, and so on. Parts of Silver Spring are nice enough. I mean, it is only temporary. If you wanna spend the cash look around in montgomery county. It is one of the richest counties in the US. There is this one nice apartment complex on Rt1 right across from the ikea. They wont rent to students (but I assume that means undergrads).
-doug

crantang

Mar 7, 2001
The only places in Montgomery County that I checked were Bethesda and Rockville, and dang those places were expensive. Some places dont rent to students -- grad or undergrad. Doesn't that suck?