Does anyone listen to heavy metal/death metal anymore?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
giphy.gif

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

on occasion. if you know the lyrics and my continued disdain for W (because of my past employment) despite crapLibs' efforts to make W look nice and fuzzy then you would probably appreciate the song above this sentence.

Iron Maiden and BoC (if they still count) are ones I listen to still. maybe I'll never become familiar with the new bands but I do like the metal covers of various popular songs by Frog Leap and they put on a good live show based on videos I have seen.

here is a live metal cover below

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Are those mostly local/regional bands?
Have fun!
All Danish bands :)
It is a birthday gift from my wife, and that she has to take care of our three girls of age 1, 2 and 4 while I'm away, and I haven't been to a concert since our first was born, and that four of my favorite bands are playing, and I'm going with my oldest friend.... Let's just say that I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
All Danish bands :)
It is a birthday gift from my wife, and that she has to take care of our three girls of age 1, 2 and 4 while I'm away, and I haven't been to a concert since our first was born, and that four of my favorite bands are playing, and I'm going with my oldest friend.... Let's just say that I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun ... hate to be a "Debbie-downer" but I STRONGLY suggest you get yourself a decent set of musicians ear-plugs prior to the concert. (they selectively filter the harmful sound but leave most of the actual music)

Trust me .... having been away for awhile, you are NOT prepared for the volume levels and you'll have a lot better time if you avoid "maxing out" your fragile eardrums till they distort!

;)

Etymotic Research ER20XS High-Fidelity Earplugs ~ $14.88 shipped

810msb3mWpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Sounds like a lot of fun ... hate to be a "Debbie-downer" but I STRONGLY suggest you get yourself a decent set of musicians ear-plugs prior to the concert. (they selectively filter the harmful sound but leave most of the actual music)

Trust me .... having been away for awhile, you are NOT prepared for the volume levels and you'll have a lot better time if you avoid "maxing out" your fragile eardrums till they distort!

;)

Yep, those ones do a great job of cutting to overall volume while not impacting the quality of the sound too much! And you can still feel the bass in your body. I used them at the last few metal shows I went to as well.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

;)

Guess what I already own :)

But thx for the suggestion, and I totally agree. I bought them when I went to Copenhell in 2015.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yes, I very much enjoy metal and have been rediscovering some of my favorite bands from my youth after a long alt/indie rock phase.

Thrash Metal, start with the big 4:
Metallica
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth

Gothenburg sound (melodic death metal):
Arch Enemy (esp the older stuff)
Carcass
Opeth
In Flames

Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal/Rock:
Electric Wizard
Kyuss
Orange Goblin

Power Metal:
Sabaton
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Metal is a totally valid genre and has been for decades. There's a lot you can do in it, it can go in many directions. Many flavors. And you don't know anything about it if you haven't noticed that there are a great many virtuoso performers in metal bands. That by itself confers legitimacy and says PAY ATTENTION! Metal has a tendency to take you to other/new dimensions, something that can't be said for so so much popular music.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
You just haven’t found your flavor yet, what about this:
Was going pretty good till she started screaming. Just can't get into that.

Went out on a limb & bought 2 new-to me-bands CD's that probably fall into the "metal" catagory.
Cynic - Ascension Codes (prog metal)
Hellmet - Judgement Day (catagorized as proto metal from 1970)

Never listened to Cynic before but i love love love Gordian Knot so i'm hopeful. Probably very few have heard Hellmet before, from reading the description.
Haven't listened to either yet but i'll report back.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Nergal from Behemoth and Myrkyr meet in something dark and beautiful, but not metal.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Konvents new album "Call down the Sun" is pretty nice if you want some doomey doom :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My last radio show (Wednesday) was very for-me heavy on the metal:Muse show 04-06-2022.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: biostud

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Yes, I very much enjoy metal and have been rediscovering some of my favorite bands from my youth after a long alt/indie rock phase.

Thrash Metal, start with the big 4:
Metallica
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth

Gothenburg sound (melodic death metal):
Arch Enemy (esp the older stuff)
Carcass
Opeth
In Flames

Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal/Rock:
Electric Wizard
Kyuss
Orange Goblin

Power Metal:
Sabaton
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Thrash metal was more my thing 30 years ago. Good times. Now I suffer my ailments and my body is crapping out on me:(

All metalheads have their day of reckoning I guess.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Any one see "Metal Lords" movie on Netflix? I thought it was funny. Reminds me of myself being into metal in the 80s in HS.

Reactions: Captante

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Any one see "Metal Lords" movie on Netflix? I thought it was funny. Reminds me of myself being into metal in the 80s in HS.

Thanks for this. I need to relive some good memories of the 80's once again.